#1 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

POPULAR

We've seen the best and worst of Schroeder up here in Vancouver, but something tells me that Schroeder can finally be that playmaker that our second line, mainly Kesler needs. We all saw Schroeder's great passing ability last night when he set up Weise, he looked like a natural playmaker on that play. The only issue is that Kesler and Schroeder are both Centers.

It's clear to me that Kesler is more suited to the wing, he has the great outside speed and the great wrister. Can you just imagine Schroeder feeding that puck to Kesler on the rush? It might just be a great duo, and work out great for both players.

My proposed line up:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Kesler
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Pinnizotto-Weise-Kassian

That Raymond Schroeder Kesler line is full of zip and speed, and it could definitely do some serious damage. Would love to see this when Kesler returns. Size won't be an issue if you're fast, and plus, we still have Kesler on that line, so it's not all that small. We can still have Kesler taking all the draws and have Schroeder take them when Kes gets waived.

What do you guys think?
Posted Image

#2 TheFleetwoodMack

TheFleetwoodMack

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

POPULAR

I lol'd at Weise as our 4th line center

#3 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

No Kesler isn't more suited to the wing.

Center is as much about defense as it is offense. And Kesler is obviously better at faceoffs and defensively than Schroeder.

Plus your reasons, (Speed and Wrist shot) Are both things Schroeder has aswell.

Maybe give Schroeder a shot at Wing, but don't bump Kes over for him.

zackass.png

#4 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,201 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

POPULAR

I like the idea but if Hodgson wasn't moved over to be Kesler's right winger, why would Schroeder be?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#5 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Center is as much about defense as it is offense. And Kesler is obviously better at faceoffs and defensively than Schroeder.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that the Kesler we've all seen that won the Selke back in 2010-11 is the same anymore. He doesn't have that defensive prowess that he once had. Just look at the seven games he played, a minus 4. Obviously stats don't tell the whole picture, but I think it's gotta count for something. Kesler seems to want to do everything himself, which is good, but it's better if he plays with that mentality on the wing, where he might have more space and time to unload that wrister.

Stamkos' Mullet: IMO I think it's because Hodgson simply didn't have the foot speed to keep up with Kes. Just guessing though. JS is very quick and would be just fine skating with Kes.

Edited by RyanKeslord17, 20 March 2013 - 09:54 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that the Kesler we've all seen that won the Selke back in 2010-11 is the same anymore. He doesn't have that defensive prowess that he once had. Just look at the seven games he played, a minus 4. Obviously stats don't tell the whole picture, but I think it's gotta count for something. Kesler seems to want to do everything himself, which is good, but it's better if he plays with that mentality on the wing, where he might have more space and time to unload that wrister.

Stamkos' Mullet: IMO I think it's because Hodgson simply didn't have the foot speed to keep up with Kes. Just guessing though. JS is very quick and would be just fin skating with Kes.

He was playing with a broken foot.

He looked like the same player to me, in the first two games he was a beast offensively and defensively. Then the injury set in and affected his play, although he still finished with 5 points in 7 games.

I'm not too worried, even if he doesn't score 40 again he will still bring all the same things and score 25-35 goals and 60-70 points

zackass.png

#7 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Didn't do it for Cody, sure as hell won't for Schredds.

#8 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Kesler's offensive game is more typical of a winger than a center, in the way that Martin St. Louis (a playmaking winger) is kind of a rarity. Kesler's very much a head down, balls-to-the-wall, shoot-first type with a tremendous defensive presence. To be honest, there aren't many centers out there like him. I can still see his defensive game translating to the wing (see Jere Lehtinen and the greatest defensive player of all time, Bob Gainey). He did play there, when Mats Sundin was on the team, and ended up as a Selke finalist.

The trouble is, since there aren't that many pass-first wingers out there, it might not be easy to find Kes a winger.

Didn't do it for Cody, sure as hell won't for Schredds.

The problem is Hodgson was pretty poor defensively and needed to be sheltered. He probably wouldn't work with Kes, who plays the hardest minutes against the toughest competition. Shroeder could at least handle himself, in the defensive end.

Edited by nowhereman, 20 March 2013 - 10:12 PM.

Posted Image

#9 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

We've seen the best and worst of Schroeder up here in Vancouver, but something tells me that Schroeder can finally be that playmaker that our second line, mainly Kesler needs. We all saw Schroeder's great passing ability last night when he set up Weise, he looked like a natural playmaker on that play. The only issue is that Kesler and Schroeder are both Centers.

It's clear to me that Kesler is more suited to the wing, he has the great outside speed and the great wrister. Can you just imagine Schroeder feeding that puck to Kesler on the rush? It might just be a great duo, and work out great for both players.

My proposed line up:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Kesler
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Pinnizotto-Weise-Kassian

That Raymond Schroeder Kesler line is full of zip and speed, and it could definitely do some serious damage. Would love to see this when Kesler returns. Size won't be an issue if you're fast, and plus, we still have Kesler on that line, so it's not all that small. We can still have Kesler taking all the draws and have Schroeder take them when Kes gets waived.

What do you guys think?

schroeder on the wing and make sure we get a 2/3 c in the Lou trade and get it done soon.

#10 kassian 09

kassian 09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Honestly no. Kesler gets too injured, keep him on line 3 with kass and higgs. Best forchecking pkus scoring line out there. And with less ice time he won't get injured as much.

#11 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Kesler's offensive game is more typical of a winger than a center, in the way that Martin St. Louis (a playmaking winger) is kind of a rarity. Kesler's very much a head down, balls-to-the-wall, shoot-first type with a tremendous defensive presence. To be honest, there aren't many centers out there like him. I can still see his defensive game translating to the wing (see Jere Lehtinen and the greatest defensive player of all time, Bob Gainey). He did play there, when Mats Sundin was on the team, and ended up as a Selke finalist.

The trouble is, since there aren't that many pass-first wingers out there, it might not be easy to find Kes a winger.

The problem is Hodgson was pretty poor defensively and needed to be sheltered. He probably wouldn't work with Kes, who plays the hardest minutes against the toughest competition. Shroeder could at least handle himself, in the defensive end.

there have been lots

St Louis
Kariya
Recchi
Jagr played on the wing for a number of years
Joe Juneau
Lafleur
Selanne
Robataille

Alot of these guys get confused as just goal scorers but many of those named are in the top 50 assist men all time in the nhl and are wingers...

#12 WindChaser

WindChaser

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Kesler
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Pinnizotto-Weise-Kassian

knowing AV, he will probably slot in Ebbett onto the 4th line and take out either Pinizzotto or Kassian (Weise kills penalties).... I'm not sure what that second line would do to kesler's ego, getting bumped off his main position by a kid, but if they do work it out, that line-up actually looks decent, at least top 9 looks decent

but once again, if the top 9 solidifies like that, the 4th line will probably will be Weise-Ebbett-Kassian

#13 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

there have been lots

St Louis
Kariya
Recchi
Jagr played on the wing for a number of years
Joe Juneau
Lafleur
Selanne
Robataille

Alot of these guys get confused as just goal scorers but many of those named are in the top 50 assist men all time in the nhl and are wingers...

Well, yeah, all-time... sure. What I'm saying is that, at any given moment, you're not going to find a whole lot of pass-first wingers. And most of the guys you listed are great all-around players, rather than just playmakers i.e. more like Crosby than Thornton.

Edited by nowhereman, 20 March 2013 - 10:25 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Haydnucks

Haydnucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

POPULAR

One nice play and Scroeder is top line center.

#15 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

What a ridiculous proposal...

#16 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

POPULAR

But you can't have Kassian on the fourth line. He's a power forward, not a grinder.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian.
Hansen (he deserves the 2nd line spot) - Schroeder - Kesler.
Higgins - Raymond - Burrows.
Pinny - Lapierre - Weise.

#17 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

One nice play and Scroeder is top line center.

Schroeder** and I'm talking about him being a line 2C not 1. JS has made a lot of nice passes, created many opportunities, the Weise one just happened to be a goal
Posted Image

#18 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 16,404 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

I lol'd at Weise as our 4th line center

Huh? The guys on TSN were off their game. Weise hasn't taken a faceoff this year. They described him twice as being a center - the second time Lapierre was on the ice, the first I couldn't quite tell who the third forward was, but Pinizzotto was on the ice, and he is a center/winger.

#19 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

I'd say give him a chance, if it were my decision it would be either him (Jordan) or Hansen in that 2nd line RW spot anyways, these guys are the two best passers that this team has from any forward not named Sedin, plus i'd rather have him on the 2nd line than the 3rd line where he would be too small for the playoffs (rather have Higgins as the 3rd line center).

Twins - Burr
Raymond - Kes - Schroeder
Hansen - Higgins - Kassian
Sestito - Lapierre - Weise/ Pini

Too bad Booth's gone though, if David was around I would've done

Twins - Burr
Raymond - Kes - Hansen
Higgins - Schroeder - Booth (Booth needs a passing center and Schroeder can send him on his way to the net)
Pini - Lapierre - Kassian

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#20 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 20 March 2013 - 11:08 PM.

zackass.png

#21 Haydnucks

Haydnucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Scroeder is decent. Too bad he does't come in mens size.

#22 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 16,404 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Here we go again...

Let's move a guy who went 57.4 and 53.6 in the faceoff circle the last two years to the wing, and have a rookie center him.

Deja vu all ova aggggggaaaain.

Schroeder on his wing, fine, not a bad idea (wingers can still pass the puck btw) but...a Selke winger...

Jere Lehtinen the only winger in the last 20 years to win the Selke...

Nada good idea.

#23 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

A bit off topic, but this is something I was thinking about the other day when I went to the Team Store and saw Schroeder #45 shirts.

What # do you guys think he will wear when he is on the team full time?

He wore #19 for the University of Minnesota, and for the WJ team. But obviously thats taken, as is #9. And I'm pretty sure he wore #12 for the U18 team, which is obviously also taken.

He wore #23 for the Moose and #18 for the Wolves.

So I guess #18 is most likely?

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 20 March 2013 - 11:16 PM.

zackass.png

#24 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

Here we go again...

Let's move a guy who went 57.4 and 53.6 in the faceoff circle the last two years to the wing, and have a rookie center him.

Deja vu all ova aggggggaaaain.

Schroeder on his wing, fine, not a bad idea (wingers can still pass the puck btw) but...a Selke winger...

Jere Lehtinen the only winger in the last 20 years to win the Selke...

Nada good idea.

This.

Never understood why the KESLER SHOULD BE A WINGER sentiment ever got so much ridiculous traction.

Its like asking Malhotra to play goal.

Now if J-Schro was killer at the dot. Yeah, it can be an option. But it is the opposite. Kes wins face offs, more often than not.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#25 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

It may seem a bit weird moving a guy like Kesler over for a rookie, but even Laurence Gilman suggested it:

"Ryan is a finisher, he's a shooter and he's a unique centreiceman (he's also really good at Faceoffs which is a key role for a centreiceman)," explained Gilman, "but some of the best hockey Kesler played in my time here is when he played right wing, with Mats Sundin in the middle." He continued to discuss a scenario in which the Canucks might consider moving Ryan Kesler over the wing, "When you have assets like Jordan Schroeder you have the luxury of maybe playing Ryan with other players."

Here's the full link:

http://flamesnation....eet-ryan-kesler

Edited by RyanKeslord17, 20 March 2013 - 11:32 PM.

Posted Image

#26 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

It may seem a bit weird moving a guy like Kesler over for a rookie, but even Laurence Gilman suggested it:

"Ryan is a finisher, he's a shooter and he's a unique centreiceman (he's also really good at Faceoffs which is a key role for a centreiceman)," explained Gilman, "but some of the best hockey Kesler played in my time here is when he played right wing, with Mats Sundin in the middle." He continued to discuss a scenario in which the Canucks might consider moving Ryan Kesler over the wing, "When you have assets like Jordan Schroeder you have the luxury of maybe playing Ryan with other players."

Here's the full link:

http://flamesnation....eet-ryan-kesler

Its not a far out thought. But Mats was killer at the dot. Thats really the only difference.

If Schroeds was aces at the dot, im sure Kesler might be asked to move to wing.

And thanks for the reminder, i forgot he winged Sundin that season for stretches at a time.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#27 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

Its not a far out thought. But Mats was killer at the dot. Thats really the only difference.

If Schroeds was aces at the dot, im sure Kesler might be asked to move to wing.

And thanks for the reminder, i forgot he winged Sundin that season for stretches at a time.

Yeah Mats was absolutely sick at the dot. But then again, Kesler can still take face offs while playing wing no? I mean, it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot, you never know.
Posted Image

#28 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,252 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

I've said from the start I'd like to see Schroeder get a chance on the second line with Kesler (and Booth, but now he won't be available until later in the playoffs it seems). That duo needed a playmaker, and Hodgson may have been able to fit with that as well (the only drawback being his speed, which Schroeder has), but well have to see chemistry once Kesler returns in April.

Write down the line however you want, with Schroeder at center or wing, but Kesler would take the draws as he's our best faceoff guy with Manny out. During open play in the offensive zone, Schroeder could play more of a center role, while in the defensive end Kesler could do so. It could certainly be worked out without strictly defining one as a center and one as a winger.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#29 centurion

centurion

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

I'd rather have Schroeder play 2nd line wing than a 4th line center.

Kesler would def be the center though if JS were to be on the same line. RK is one if not the the top defensive forwards on this team and has size over Schroeder.

#30 clynch

clynch

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

I think Kesler (the shooter) and Shroeder (the passer) would work well together. I doubt it matters which one you put at centre vs wing after the puck is dropped, as long as the know what there responsabilities are.

Once they gain the zone, everyone has the ability to move anywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.