The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler Suspended

Strombone1

if you have a power to suspend someone, please the one to give you the power is the way you keep this power. Unfortunately, we fans can't offer the power Shanahan wants.

For us, that is a double standard. For Shanahan, that is power bible.

Positive said, it might be not bad to rest Edler couple games since he is not 100% health. We need health Edler for playoff.

It's the inconsistency that drives me crazy honestly. If what Eder did gets you a two game suspension, then alright give a two game suspension every time something like that happens and use it as a metric of lesser or more severe infractions. Players right now don't have a clue what action warrants what suspension because there is no system in place whatsoever. I know there is obviously something going on behind the scenes because the people that run this league aren't stupid, but from an outside and player's perspective these rulings appear to be totally arbitrary.

Smith has pulled this crap before. Goes out hangs onto he puck then waits to get hit. With all hose pillows he is wearing he will not get hurt and the opposing team gets penalized. Do a YouTube search for hits on smith behind the net. You will find other examples. I say run him every time and take your lumps.

Oh come on now! You've got to be a total homer not to think that was a vicious hit on the goaltender. 2 games seems fair. I'm just suprised it wasn't 10-15 games though seeing as how terrible the officiating has been this year.

Vicious? Are you sure hockey's your sport? If that was "vicious", what on Earth do you call what Lu had to contend with in the past?....always uncalled I might add. How about Henrik, and the constant shots to the head that he's been subjected to (again - uncalled)? No homerism, just facts.

So when our players are protected like some who put themselves in the way of the play, then we'll talk.

This goaltender has a history of this....so, perhaps, he needs to re-examine his position? And stay near his net if he isn't going to be aware of his surroundings floating around out there in lala land?

Vicious? Are you sure hockey's your sport? If that was "vicious", what on Earth do you call what Lu had to contend with in the past?....always uncalled I might add. How about Henrik, and the constant shots to the head that he's been subjected to (again - uncalled)? No homerism, just facts.

So when our players are protected like some who put themselves in the way of the play, then we'll talk.

This goaltender has a history of this....so, perhaps, he needs to re-examine his position? And stay near his net if he isn't going to be aware of his surroundings floating around out there in lala land?

Posted this in another thread but I think it's relevant here also.

Doesn't anyone find it strange that the NHL felt compelled to create and post a supplementary discipline video for a play that DIDN'T require supplementary discipline?

Bravo NHL...Bravo!!!

The NHLPA/players should also be able to challenge the NHL and it's lack of consistency in its disciplinary actions hence its negligence in protecting the safety of the players, and demand something be put in place that can challenge the leagues disciplinary methods. It is the union's mandate to protect it's members. Too many players get knocked out of the game while the perpetrator simply may or may not be reprimanded. The union should be able to challenge this. Alternatively, the union should also be able challenge suspensions that takes a player out of the game when the "victim" doesn't skip a beat and is back on the ice the next day without injury. As someone has proposed, it should be eye for an eye. Perpetrator/victim should be out for equal number of games.

Archived