The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

I think the real major shake-up is not as far off anymore as it was a couple of months ago.

To Fla:

Sedin

Sedin

Lou

To Van:

2nd overall 2013

Bjugstad

Kulikov

Upshall

---------------------

To Phi:

Edler

To Van:

Couturier

-------------

Re-sign Roy ($5.0 mil), re-sign Lappy ($1.4 mil)

Raymond walks

------------------

I never like to speculate about whether players will waive NTCs but it isn't impossible. Having children complicates the matter but they are young enough that it isn't as tricky as moving teenagers.

The crux is that to keep the Sedins for their final year then the Canucks must shed a lot of salary and may get little back for the players moved out. If the Sedins decide to move on next offseason then that's a double whammy to the organization as we will get nothing for our two superstars and very little for Booth and Ballard, among others. It's not inconceivable to me that if the Sedins are moved out then those guys might be retained along with Lappy and Roy, especially as there will likely be a new coaching staff. That fact alone may make the twins consider their options. Starting with a new coach at this stage of their careers is a serious move and is not worthwhile for a single contract year.

It would be tough as a fan to see them move but from a dispassionate standpoint I can see the logic of it.

As I was saying in CT (and I don't think I'll go back there for a few months) if Florida was considering making a franchise changing move and picking up both Lou and the Twins and offered a package of their 2nd overall, Bjugstad, Kulikov and Upshall then the Canucks would have to consider it.

For the sake of argument this is our Sedin-less, Lou-less, Raymond-less, Edler-less, line-up if we re-sign Roy and Lappy.

Burrows-Kesler-Booth

Higgins-Roy-Kassian

Schroeder-Couturier-Hansen

Upshall-Lapierre-_______

Bjugstad, MacKinnon/Drouin, Jensen, Gaunce, Lain

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Kulikov-Garrison

Ballard-Tanev

Corrado

Schneider

Lack

It's not as dire as many would suggest especially considering what might be added to the organization from the return of the exiting players, including the freed up cap space for some FAs.

I am now thinking we should use our most valuable assets to make the longterm changes now necessary to ensure future competitiveness. If that involves moving Schneider instead of Luongo , then I am for it as long as the return is something that allows us to rebuild with new, young, talented players. The kind of players I mean are impact players... not just young , marginally talented. I am talking about the kind of players that are so talented, it wouldn't take them long to adjust to the NHL and make an impact (eg. high drafted players). This may mean that our trading of players should not just stop at Schneider or Luongo. It is quite evident this team needs talented youth to take over and move the franchise in a new direction and a new era. This era is over. The core group we have has had its day. It's time to hand the baton over to new, young blood and change the face and identity of this franchise with an eye to the near future. Let's clean house: MG, AV and entire coaching staff. It might benefit us to bring back Brian Burke as our GM moving forward. He is probably just the man we need to make sweeping, bold changes. He already practically built the core of this current team before he left last time. He drafted the Sedins among others. He is a vocal, no B.S. GM which is what this team needs and he has connections with the NHL head office from the days he used to work there. This connection comes with respect from the league. This could go a long way to restoring a better identity with and around the NHL. MG doesn't have this. Burke has balls of steel when making bold decisions. We need a GM who knows how to make trades and he also has good relations with all the other GM's. Mike Gillis has problems closing deals with the other GM's and I don't really know the reason for this other than maybe other GM's don't like dealing with him. They do with Burke. I say get him in here and let him work some magic to maybe aquire one of the top 3 picks in the draft and try and nab MacKinnon or Drouin. We need a top, young forward to build the team around. Nobody should be exempt from getting shipped out especially given the fact Burke didn't sign all the core players to NTC's, Gillis did that and he won't move them because of his loyalty to them. Burke would move them for the right price. Aquillini, it's your franchise. What are you going to do? All I know is a new spark of hope needs to be injected into this franchise to get the fanbase turned on and excited about the Canucks again. It's all about entertainment and I don't feel entertained by this team anymore. Make the team young and exciting. Screw the Stanley Cup window. It's already come and gone. Your valuable players are getting too old to trade for a good return. If you're going to manage your current assets, let's do it now and reshape the team while we can. This NEEDS to happen given the fact we have no top prospects of note in the system to regenerate with.

I think the real major shake-up is not as far off anymore as it was a couple of months ago.

To Fla:

Sedin

Sedin

Lou

To Van:

2nd overall 2013

Bjugstad

Kulikov

Upshall

---------------------

To Phi:

Edler

To Van:

Couturier

-------------

Raymond walks

------------------

I never like to speculate about whether players will waive NTCs but it isn't impossible. Having children complicates the matter but they are young enough that it isn't as tricky as moving teenagers.

The crux is that to keep the Sedins for their final year then the Canucks must shed a lot of salary and may get little back for the players moved out. If the Sedins decide to move on next offseason then that's a double whammy to the organization as we will get nothing for our two superstars and very little for Booth and Ballard, among others. It's not inconceivable to me that if the Sedins are moved out then those guys might be retained along with Lappy and Roy, especially as there will likely be a new coaching staff. That fact alone may make the twins consider their options. Starting with a new coach at this stage of their careers is a serious move and is not worthwhile for a single contract year.

It would be tough as a fan to see them move but from a dispassionate standpoint I can see the logic of it.

As I was saying in CT (and I don't think I'll go back there for a few months) if Florida was considering making a franchise changing move and picking up both Lou and the Twins and offered a package of their 2nd overall, Bjugstad, Kulikov and Upshall then the Canucks would have to consider it.

For the sake of argument this is our Sedin-less, Lou-less, Raymond-less, Edler-less, line-up if we re-sign Roy and Lappy.

Burrows-Kesler-Booth

Higgins-Roy-Kassian

Upshall-Lapierre-_______

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Kulikov-Garrison

Ballard-Tanev

Corrado

Schneider

Lack

It's not as dire as many would suggest especially considering what might be added to the organization from the return of the exiting players, including the freed up cap space for some FAs.

To Fla:

Sedin

Sedin

Lou

To Van:

2nd overall 2013

Bjugstad

Kulikov

Upshall

---------------------

To Phi:

Edler

To Van:

Couturier

-------------

Raymond walks

------------------

Burrows-Kesler-Booth

Higgins-Roy-Kassian

Upshall-Lapierre-_______

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Kulikov-Garrison

Ballard-Tanev

Corrado

Schneider

Lack

I'm sorry I have had a few ales so I don't feel like looking for myself, but assuming both Florida and Vancouver agree to such a trade, can the Panthers really acquire $17.5 million in cap for next season? Seems unlikely.

I am all for making a major splash in the trade market. This would certainly be that, and getting a number 2 overall and the Bjug'ster would make for a promising future, BUT, where the hell would the primary scoring come from next year, let alone the secondary scoring?

They wouldn't be acquiring $17.5, it would be $11.5 minus Kulikov ($2.5) and Uspshall ($3.5), as I suggested it. The Canucks could even agree to take back another contract.

Florida is sitting at $51.7 mil with 19 players signed for next year, so yeah, they could do it.

Scoring next year? I'm not sure how we are going to be able to be a higher scoring team next year anyway. I'd be willing to eke it out for a couple of years to retool if the alternative is to have pretty much the same team going forward for the next few years.

They wouldn't be acquiring $17.5, it would be $11.5 minus Kulikov ($2.5) and Uspshall ($3.5), as I suggested it. The Canucks could even agree to take back another contract.

Florida is sitting at $51.7 mil with 19 players signed for next year, so yeah, they could do it.

Scoring next year? I'm not sure how we are going to be able to be a higher scoring team next year anyway. I'd be willing to eke it out for a couple of years to retool if the alternative is to have pretty much the same team going forward for the next few years.

I'd agree with the idea to compliment their talent rather than trade it away, although if someone offered a significant deal I'd definitely think about it.

It's tough to compliment them with a major piece since the cap is dropping so much but we might be able to still by using the assets we have that we can move. You can see how Kassian seemed to open play up for them, and if he was able to not get in the way of the cycle quite as much (I think he tries to do too much with puck possession versus just joining to help occasionally) they'd be very effective and allow the Sedins to do more in the tighter checking playoffs. That whole first line could go back to a majority of O-zone starts and we could spread the rest of our two-way players that contribute secondary scoring in the 2nd and 3rd lines.

For now we see what we can get as good pieces that can make an impact soon for Luongo, or look at getting picks to fill in our prospect pool and look to move some of our best up.

Why do th Twins want to move?

And why do we want to move them???

Look at San Jose; they kept their core of Thornton, Marleau & Boyle and held on. Now Couture has develooped into their go to guy and they're on the rise again. Considering the Twins are not getting paid what Perry and Getzlaf will, and that they are still hands down our best players, what we need is Kesler or someone else to take on the leadership role. Loosing the Twins = several years of lottery picks IMO.

And like last year, MG got outduelled by the GM whose team defeated us. Ballard is making pretty much what Hanan and Stuart are. What depth; they traded away a pretty good D man at the deadline, still had a 3rd pair that killed ours & all that is before bringing Burns (a prev all star) back to the blue line. MG needs to flush his bad contracts & overstocked positions (goalie, left D and left wiing) not trade the Twins.

Archived