Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Canucks need to get draft picks back?

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 Outsiders

Outsiders

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

I don't know about you guys but are Draft pool stinks... Maybe we should get draft picks only back for Luongo?? The Canucks need players of the future too. It's not like these players will play forever. Gillis please don't trade anymore draft picks.. This years draft is deep and today we just gave up a second rounded for a guy that might not even be here next year. I don't know am I right about this?

bhzi9k.jpg

Hunter Shinkaruk - Eddie Lack - Jake Virtanen 

Your next Generation of Canucks 

Credit To -Vintage Canuck-

#2 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

WE CANT GET TOP PICKS AND GO FOR A PLAYOFF RUN AT THE SAME TIME.

bijp77.jpg

Credit to VC

#3 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

All we do is trade away assets to acquire picks without giving up assets for a playoff push.

God.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#4 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Your right. Either we go all in, or go all out.
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#5 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Maybe we can just sit back and relax by enjoying a nice and refreshing Coca=Cola.

Calm down people. It's reality.

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#6 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

I still don't understand some of our fan base's mentality..

I would gladly endure crappy hockey for like 5 years if it means we win a cup...

Edited by Django, 02 April 2013 - 09:42 PM.

Posted Image

#7 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

following your logic might as well just trade away the entire core and get draft picks... it's all about the future right? if you are trading away your players for draft picks.. then it's pretty much saying you are a seller and want to rebuild.. then our core is not what you want to rebuild around since they are all at or almost passed their prime if not already passed..

#8 MikeJones

MikeJones

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Chances of getting an NHL player with picks 2-7 are quite low. I would trade them all for proven NHL players. Every year. All the time. Especially given how poor our scouts have been recently.
GO CANUCKS GO

#9 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

I would gladly endure crappy hockey for like 5 years if it means we win a cup...

and when that 5 years has passed you'll be 12 years old and some of us will be too old to care lol Sedins are the oldest on the canucks and their 33 and jagr is ripping it up at 42 so that tells me we still have time for our team to go all in right now.

#10 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

First Canucks fans complain about the Canucks not going all in and hope that we don't lose roster players (like what Pittsburg did) in the process of winning games.

Next, they want the Canucks to receive draft picks back in trades?

So do you guys want to go all in or not...

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#11 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

Pretty much. When the time comes to rebuild we'll trade the parts we can for draft picks. Doesn't mean that Gillis should give picks away but the Roy trade was good value I think, hardly giving picks away.

#12 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

and when that 5 years has passed you'll be 12 years old and some of us will be too old to care lol Sedins are the oldest on the canucks and their 33 and jagr is ripping it up at 42 so that tells me we still have time for our team to go all in right now.

Yes, cause i'm 7 lol

Sedins are already regressing my friend, and will probably retire in Sweden at like 38.

Jagr is a different player than both Sedins too, i don't understand how you can compare the 2. Chris Chelios played till his 50s, so that means Hamhuis will too, right? Both are 1 in a generation type players.. And no, i wouldn't say the Sedins are generational players.

Edited by Django, 02 April 2013 - 10:11 PM.

Posted Image

#13 bryguy26

bryguy26

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

I agree with the OP, as long as AV is our coach we will NEVER win the cup anyway! So were just throwing away picks and assets as far as I'm concerned. The biggest move we need to make is one Gillis doesn't have the balls to make...
Posted Image

#14 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Well I think we should go in a younger direction, but it doesn't necessarily have to draft picks. Prospects or even young proven NHL players on the rise are just as good for the future, and less risky than draft picks.

#15 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

I would be very happy to get a 1st rounder+ whatever out of Luongo to give us two high picks in the next draft. And if there is a better offer for Schneider I'm happy to keep Luongo too.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#16 edcba

edcba

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

I don't quite agree, just look at Boston in the last few years and San Jose this year (SJ is still number 6 in western conference). They are in the playoff and get good draft pick. WE NEED TO HAVE DRAFT PICKS!

#17 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Yes, cause i'm 7 lol

Sedins are already regressing my friend, and will probably retire in Sweden at like 38.

Jagr is a different player than both Sedins too, i don't understand how you can compare the 2. Chris Chelios played till his 50s, so that means Hamhuis will too, right? Both are 1 in a generation type players.. And no, i wouldn't say the Sedins are generational players.

If you're basing this season's performance on your opinion that the Sedin's are regressing then this team has some serious problems. Based on that assumption Edler, Hamhuis, Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre, Garrison is regressing. Might as well blow up the whole team and start over now. I'm sure GM's around the league wish they had your perception of player's progress.
:picard:

#18 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

We still have Tanev, Jensen, Kassian, Gaunce, Corrado, Lack ect. Trading a couple early picks and possibly one of those guys to get a stud or 2 in their late 20's early 30's would do some good for a cup run without completely wrecking the future. No one on the team is really that old. We should be solid for a few more years and get by just fine if the right trades are made.

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 02 April 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#19 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

Yes, cause i'm 7 lol

Yeh but im not talking about hamhuis lol all I'm saying is that the Sedins may not be generational players but they are among the elite and judging by how they're playing style is where hitting and even fighting is non existent this adds a lot more time to their careers. Don't forget Henrik is on his iron man streak 2nd highest In the nhl which shows he has heart and isn't as injury prone as other players. Just because their having a off season doesn't mean they're not the phenomenal players that they have proved to be and just to make it clear they are not on the verge of retiring because SOME people mistake their offseason as a reoccurrence for future seasons and an eventual retirement.

#20 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,944 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:18 AM

Problem is, just because you tank for 5 years doesn't mean you're guaranteed a Cup. It isn't as simple as acquiring high picks. Chicago and Pittsburgh are two examples, but they also acquired players through free agency and at the deadline to help them on their Cup runs.

I'd much rather consistently compete and contend for the Cup the way the Canucks have been for the last 5 years than tank for 5 years, wait a few more for your players to develop before taking a couple of shots at the Cup.
Posted Image

#21 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

And I don't understand this ridiculous strategy. Being bottom-feeders will not guarantee us a cup. I don't understand why people like you are so against our team being yearly contenders, instead of being a one-and-done type team.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#22 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

I don't know about you guys but are Draft pool stinks... Maybe we should get draft picks only back for Luongo?? The Canucks need players of the future too. It's not like these players will play forever. Gillis please don't trade anymore draft picks.. This years draft is deep and today we just gave up a second rounded for a guy that might not even be here next year. I don't know am I right about this?

You do understand that a "deep draft year" doesn't necessarily extend past the first round or even the first 15 or so players selected right?

Their two top guys are soft as butter.  The funny thing is that Flames fans have been mocking the Sedins supposed lack of toughness for years and now they have 2 guys that make Bieber look tough as their main scoring threat. LOL.

But the biggest comedy is how they have mocked the Sedins' toughness for years, calling them sisters, divers etc etc. Now they cheer for a team that features a top line composed of a guy that weighs 150lbs soaking wet, another guy who can be pummelled by Linden Vey, and another guy who looks like he belongs in a boy band.

#23 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

If you read today's Province, you'll see we weren't even able to get draft picks for Luongo, and Luongo himself supplied the reason - his albatross of a contract which makes him untradeable - something I have been pointing out for more than a year now.

#24 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

Problem is, just because you tank for 5 years doesn't mean you're guaranteed a Cup. It isn't as simple as acquiring high picks. Chicago and Pittsburgh are two examples, but they also acquired players through free agency and at the deadline to help them on their Cup runs.

I'd much rather consistently compete and contend for the Cup the way the Canucks have been for the last 5 years than tank for 5 years, wait a few more for your players to develop before taking a couple of shots at the Cup.

The Sedins were acquired while we were tanking - they have been the kind of players that get you within shooting distance of Stanley. Unfortunately, they are no longer. This team needs to be recycled through the draft and rebuilt - that means moving these kind of assets before they all go the way of Luongo - if they haven't already. I can't think of a team right now that would put out 12.4 million for the Sedins' current production, and not many who would want to buy Kesler's proneness to injury.

#25 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

Boston did.

#26 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

And I don't understand this ridiculous strategy. Being bottom-feeders will not guarantee us a cup. I don't understand why people like you are so against our team being yearly contenders, instead of being a one-and-done type team.

Bottom feeding is how Edmonton, the Islanders each won five, and also how Chicago, Anaheim, Boston, Carolina, Florida - hell, pretty much everybody but Detroit got there. The core of this team was acquired when we were bottom feeding, too. You don't get both the 2nd and 3rd overall picks by fly fishing.

#27 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Are we going for the cup or are we rebuilding? We have to choose because we can't have a deep prospect pool like the Oilers and at the same time have a cup contending team like the Pens or the Bruins.

Posted Image

#28 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

The Sedins were acquired while we were tanking - they have been the kind of players that get you within shooting distance of Stanley. Unfortunately, they are no longer. This team needs to be recycled through the draft and rebuilt - that means moving these kind of assets before they all go the way of Luongo - if they haven't already. I can't think of a team right now that would put out 12.4 million for the Sedins' current production, and not many who would want to buy Kesler's proneness to injury.

I'd like to see if you are still here if our team ever did rebuild and traded all of our good players. You would probably be the first fan to jump off the wagon and cheer for another winning team. You don't rebuild when you are a cap team with a lot of good players on the roster and have recently won the presidents trophy two times in a row. We aren't the Flames who have no future or present. We have Kesler, Sedins, Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Schneider, Higgins, Burrows etc. on our team and you want to rebuild???? :picard:

Posted Image

#29 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

Bottom feeding is how Edmonton, the Islanders each won five, and also how Chicago, Anaheim, Boston, Carolina, Florida - hell, pretty much everybody but Detroit got there. The core of this team was acquired when we were bottom feeding, too. You don't get both the 2nd and 3rd overall picks by fly fishing.

Bottom feeding doesn't necessarily win the cup either. You have to be really lucky to win the lottery 3 times and build a good team chemistry and winning culture. For every Pens team, there is a Columbus, New York Islanders and Phoenix team that haven't won jack crap being crappy for so long. We are trying to be like Detroit and that is what Gillis is striving for.

Posted Image

#30 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I doubt they would even endure crappy hockey since they would be on another team's bandwagon until the Canucks become a playoff team. This is how the fans in this city roll. It wasn't that long ago when GM place was half empty.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.