The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Speculation about what gets people into "heaven" or keeps them out

Harbinger

All things that are alive will eventually die. There's no afterlife, no bubblegum fountains, no rainbow colored unicorns, no virgins, no heaven, no hell. Humans invented religion because they are quite frankly SCARED of dying...scared of no longer existing...scared that they are tiny insignificant specks of sand on the Cosmic beach. When you start to realize just how many billions of stars and planets and galaxies there are in this universe and that we are merely flying through space at 107,200 km/h only held here by GRAVITY...and in our own little quadrant of a vastly unexplored universe...the creation myth...especially the 7 days part...falls apart like swiss cheese. I have no idea how the universe was created...but I'd bet you anything the explanation isn't an invisible man sitting on a cloud who has the uncanny ability to hear everyone on the planet...that BELIEVES in him...murmur to him at the same time.

Matter and energy do not die. They are transformed. Science teaches us that. I believe that at death our energy is transformed and we move out of our old shell. Call it ghosts if you will, but I have had to many experiences to believe that the lights just go out and that's it, nothing. Science has come a long way, but it has a hell of a lot farther to go than what has passed. If that's religion, then flame on.

Matter and energy do not die. They are transformed. Science teaches us that. I believe that at death our energy is transformed and we move out of our old shell. Call it ghosts if you will, but I have had to many experiences to believe that the lights just go out and that's it, nothing. Science has come a long way, but it has a hell of a lot farther to go than what has passed. If that's religion, then flame on.

Agree to disagree then. No body believes until it happens to them. Have met total deniers who have had a life altering paranormal experiences and have done a complete 180. Just cause it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it isn't real. Wouldn't want to live in your black and white world.

No it's science. The entire basis for your "argument" was that matter/energy doesn't just "disappear". You're right, it doesn't but that in no way proves the existence of "ghosts" for reasons I stated.

That's not to say there are no ghosts but THAT is no argument for them. Try again.

Nope.

You can prove air exists by use measuring devices and physically - enter a sealed chamber, evacuate the air and see what happens.  Those tests are repeatable unlike the claim of the invisible guy in the sky.

I wonder what devout Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus and Sikhs think about the above logic.

Seeing what is apparently paranormal activity is hardly evidence of something living beyond the grave. Take near-death experiences for example. The brain when deprived of oxygen will often cause symptoms of what appear to be a "tunnel of light" and noises which can seem to be whispers or voices to the sufferer. Is this life after death, or simply someone suffering brain trauma and hallucinating because of it? Which to you seems more plausible?

We are learning more about the human brain and it's strengths and weaknesses every day. Ask a neuroscientist how he/she feels about eye-witness testimony. You will soon learn why an answer may be good enough for a lawyer in court but will get laughed out of the scientific community, and rightly so. The brain is an amazing piece of biology, but is also well known for tricking itself. Take optical illusions for example. Optical illusions, sometimes simple diagrams, are capable of tricking our brains into seeing something that isn't there. There are optical illusions everywhere, and people dumb enough to believe that what they see is real. The uneducated and/or vulnerable individuals are susceptible to emptying their wallets for a chance to be read by con-artists like Sylvia Brown or the Long Island Medium so they can "speak" with a lost loved one. I suggest people to visit the James Randi Foundation website or check him out on youtube. He's a funny guy.

Now where did I say near death experiences, palm readers or anyone else for that matter that dabbles in the supernatural? I don't mind criticism. but what I do take exception to is someone putting  me down by misreading my post by adding words that I never typed.

Archived