The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Speculation about what gets people into "heaven" or keeps them out

Harbinger

I haven't met a religious person who claims they have proof of god and can show it.

Instead, I have met religious people who preach what they know of God from what their religion has taught them.

Basically, nobody can prove god to you, they can attempt to articulate their beliefs to you, but ultimately you decide what to make of it.

LOL. So you've met religious people who've been brainwashed themselves who preach and attempt to brainwash others...that's pretty much what you're telling me. Sorry...without a shred of physical evidence these "beliefs" are nothing more than fables. So if someone babbles their delusions to me and I ultimately decide what to make of it...then that's what it is...mindless yammering and delusional nonsense.

I haven't met a religious person who claims they have proof of god and can show it.

Instead, I have met religious people who preach what they know of God from what their religion has taught them.

Basically, nobody can prove god to you, they can attempt to articulate their beliefs to you, but ultimately you decide what to make of it.

You are right, a religious person can't produce proof of a god existing just as an atheist can't provide proof a god(s) don't exist. That makes the agnostics of the world safe. The devout religious however aren't only trying to prove a god exists, they are trying to grow (sometimes forcefully) their religion and respective doctrines. Islam is particularly suspect when it comes to such expansions. When it comes to religion, the fight shouldn't be whether or not god(s) exist, it is why should any person take what is written in an old book (bible, quran, tipitaka, whatever) and use it to influence people's lives. If someone reads these books and finds the poetry and stories moving and inspirational, great. That is what all good books should do. However, noone should ever be made to live in a certain way or manner based on someone else's interpretation of those books. Especially children, who can't read the books for themselves.

Archived