The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Speculation about what gets people into "heaven" or keeps them out

Harbinger

On the MINUSCULE possibility that the fairy tale stuff in the Bible is true...if someone proves it...then I'll have no problems admitting I'm wrong. The caveat is though that if you're wrong...how much evidence would it take for you to admit the same...considering you OPERATE on faith...instead of evidence?

It looks like you do have a problem with what others "believe" because you wouldn't make remarks like "childish fantasies" and BS like that. Your just boiled because people like you who don't believe in religion (athiest/agnostic) make up like what 10-12 percent of the world, you think your actually going to change someone's opinion on religion sitting behind a computer making dumb comments. Why not just say you don't share the same beliefs as alot of the religious people and end it off there?.

Lets make the assumption that there was such a thing as heaven.

Why should I make the next assumption that it is the good deeds or lack of bad deeds that get me in? Who is to say that it isn't my kill count that ultimately matters?

My point being, you would need to stand on so many assumptions to make any concious decisions to do or not to do something, in the end, whatever you did or did not do probably doesn't matter.

So wait a second...I'm supposed to read that verse and not believe what I have just read...that LIGHT existed before the SUN...yet people insist that the Creation myth be taught in a biology class? Your book fails even the simplest and most basic test of COSMOLOGY...why would anyone want it anywhere near a discussion on BIOLOGY? How is it supposed to be read if not literally when you take it to those lengths?

The problem is that the Bible os misunderstood and misread and this taught incorrectly. Genesis 1 is written in an ancient eastern poetic pattern. If you line up days 1-3 beside 3-6, the pattern stands out. Today, we are a scientific culture, therefore we like lists 1-6, so that is how we read it. But it wan't meant to be read that way.

Since it's poetry, we cannot take its words literally, but we have to tey to determine what was meant by the author. When we read the Bible today, we have to remeber that it was written thousands of years ago, to a drastically different culture in a different lanuage.

We also have to remember tht the Bible doesn't pretend to be a science text book, no matter how hard some people try to make it one. It is a book to teach us about the character and desires of God.

I could go on ir add references for the poetic nature of the creation story, but my fat fingers don't like typing on my phone.

Hope that helps.

You "know" NOTHING about god. Nothing. All you have is the disputed word of those clueless people before you. Religion doesn't operate in fact...it operates in hearsay...and fear...and MONEY...let's not forget money. I can't SEE air but I can FEEL it, Mr. Wizard. No one can "feel" or "see" or "smell" or "taste" god. Totally weak argument.

Which is it. Is it actions or non actions that keep you in or out of heaven. Or is it intentions. If someone does something they hope will be good but kills or hurts someone. Does the intention or the action affect whether they get in or not? Does not doing something when you should have have an effect?. Will god look down on someone who could have helped but didn't?

Just wondering aloud.

My argument was just a small sample to see where your head is at lol. So tell me this what do you believe ? We all die at one point and everything goes dark, similiar to sleep but this time we don't wake up. Gimme a break i used to think that when I was 7 years old ahahah got to branch out of that and expand your horizons.

My argument was just a small sample to see where your head is at lol. So tell me this what do you believe ? That we all die at one point and everything goes dark, similiar to sleep but this time we don't wake up. Gimme a break i used to think that when I was 7 years old ahahah got to branch out of that and expand your horizons.

My argument was just a small sample to see where your head is at lol. So tell me this what do you believe ? That we all die at one point and everything goes dark, similiar to sleep but this time we don't wake up. Gimme a break i used to think that when I was 7 years old ahahah got to branch out of that and expand your horizons.

My argument was just a small sample to see where your head is at lol. So tell me this what do you believe ? We all die at one point and everything goes dark, similiar to sleep but this time we don't wake up. Gimme a break i used to think that when I was 7 years old ahahah got to branch out of that and expand your horizons.

Archived