The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Speculation about what gets people into "heaven" or keeps them out

Harbinger

One can't really argue a supernatural explanation, can they? Well, I suppose they can but they don't know that there is more than likely some sort of natural explanation. They got into this on the Atheist Experience show. A caller was talking about miracles and supernatural experiences and Dillahunty basically said, how do you know there isn't a natural explanation? Of course the caller couldn't answer but continued to believe that god was the reason for such things occurring.

religion promotes lazy thinking and is a MAJOR hindrance to the evolution of the human mind. I mean let's get serious...what if the majority of the world just started believing that if you step on a sidewalk crack...it actually WOULD break your mother's back...or that shattering a mirror really DID bring 7 years of bad luck...is this what that part of society...the dumbed down part of society...that still cling to Bronze Age beliefs...is this where evolution dies? These half wits who believe the Flintstones was a documentary and that the whole of the universe was created in 7 days and that the Earth itself is only 6,000 years old? If you find the silliness attached to the superstitions in my opening sentence absurd...then why is it that people get so up in arms over the superstitious hokum they subscribe to now?

You are a BAUSS.

I only asked because I have a dog and sometimes I would like to know what hes thinking.

But back on topic, there is no heaven or hell... but I wouldn't be surprised if reincarnation was the right answer. Theres been numerous stories of people growing up with another persons "memories". Can't google right now but maybe later.

You are a BAUSS.

I only asked because I have a dog and sometimes I would like to know what hes thinking.

But back on topic, there is no heaven or hell... but I wouldn't be surprised if reincarnation was the right answer. Theres been numerous stories of people growing up with another persons "memories". Can't google right now but maybe later.

One can't really argue a supernatural explanation, can they? Well, I suppose they can but they don't know that there is more than likely some sort of natural explanation. They got into this on the Atheist Experience show. A caller was talking about miracles and supernatural experiences and Dillahunty basically said, how do you know there isn't a natural explanation? Of course the caller couldn't answer but continued to believe that god was the reason for such things occurring.

While your examples are fun and all, they in no way go to prove your statement that religion promotes lazy thinking or is a major hinderance to the evolution of the human mind.

The human mind has evolved quite nicely with religion over the centuries.

And i'm not sure what you mean by 'lazy thinking', but merely dismissing something beyond your understanding or comprehension is lazy.

Yes, there is no scientific evidence that God exists. But the majority of the people on this planet still believe that he does, despite this lack of evidence. Are they all lazy thinkers? No. Are they all incapable of evolving their minds? Also no. There is no evidence of any link whatsoever. On the contrary, the argument made was lazy.

There may very well be no God. Certainly there is no evidence (beyond historical) that he does. But there is also no evidence that he doesn't. And while you can say the onus of proof is on the believer, is it? The believer is the majority here. So the onus of proof is really on the non-believer. (Hence the barrage of anti-religious agendas). But good luck, as even if you, quote 'prove that God doesn't exist', it will be easily discounted, as with current scientific method, the existence or non-existence of God is not proveable.

Religion transcends science.

Aliens, ghosts, a soul, anything supernatural or unexplained... All totally outside the realm of valid scientific research. So how can science be the ultimate tool to take on God?

Science has it's limits. Science can explain 'how', but not 'why'. 'Why are we here?' 'Why did the universe begin?' 'Why are we the way we are?' That's where religion steps in. And that's why a large number of scientists are also religious. Not in a bible-thumping way, per se, but with an understanding that full knowledge is not attainable while being a pure scientist. For every pebble that we know, there is a mountain that we do not.

The argument that our feeble human abilities can even attempt to understand these concepts, let lone discount them, is asinine.

Frankly, if there is a God, he certainly doesn't care if you don't think he exists. As a worthless speck of cosmic lint, people here sure think highly of themselves, don't they?

religion promotes lazy thinking and is a MAJOR hindrance to the evolution of the human mind. I mean let's get serious...what if the majority of the world just started believing that if you step on a sidewalk crack...it actually WOULD break your mother's back...or that shattering a mirror really DID bring 7 years of bad luck...is this what that part of society...the dumbed down part of society...that still cling to Bronze Age beliefs...is this where evolution dies? These half wits who believe the Flintstones was a documentary and that the whole of the universe was created in 7 days and that the Earth itself is only 6,000 years old? If you find the silliness attached to the superstitions in my opening sentence absurd...then why is it that people get so up in arms over the superstitious hokum they subscribe to now?

While your examples are fun and all, they in no way go to prove your statement that religion promotes lazy thinking or is a major hinderance to the evolution of the human mind.

The human mind has evolved quite nicely with religion over the centuries.

And i'm not sure what you mean by 'lazy thinking', but merely dismissing something beyond your understanding or comprehension is lazy.

Yes, there is no scientific evidence that God exists. But the majority of the people on this planet still believe that he does, despite this lack of evidence. Are they all lazy thinkers? No. Are they all incapable of evolving their minds? Also no. There is no evidence of any link whatsoever. On the contrary, the argument made was lazy.

There may very well be no God. Certainly there is no evidence (beyond historical) that he does. But there is also no evidence that he doesn't. And while you can say the onus of proof is on the believer, is it? The believer is the majority here. So the onus of proof is really on the non-believer. (Hence the barrage of anti-religious agendas). But good luck, as even if you, quote 'prove that God doesn't exist', it will be easily discounted, as with current scientific method, the existence or non-existence of God is not proveable.

Religion transcends science.

Aliens, ghosts, a soul, anything supernatural or unexplained... All totally outside the realm of valid scientific research. So how can science be the ultimate tool to take on God?

Science has it's limits. Science can explain 'how', but not 'why'. 'Why are we here?' 'Why did the universe begin?' 'Why are we the way we are?' That's where religion steps in. And that's why a large number of scientists are also religious. Not in a bible-thumping way, per se, but with an understanding that full knowledge is not attainable while being a pure scientist. For every pebble that we know, there is a mountain that we do not.

The argument that our feeble human abilities can even attempt to understand these concepts, let lone discount them, is asinine.

Frankly, if there is a God, he certainly doesn't care if you don't think he exists. As a worthless speck of cosmic lint, people here sure think highly of themselves, don't they?

I am actually going to agree with you on this and it's because I actually subscribe to the belief that time is cyclical...we all know the phrase "history repeats itself" when fads come back like twenty years after they die out...my wild idea involves time being cyclical and does actually employ reincarnation to a point. It would also explain where the energy goes since as I stated earlier because of the Third Law it doesn't disappear completely. So instead of just FADS repeating themselves...LIVES are repeating themselves.

Have you ever read "Our Name is Melancholy"? It is a far out book (by an author who is apparently a necrophiliac living in New Orleans with her husband). It is a lovestory between the author and the Death spirit Azrael (is listed as non-fiction btw lol) but offers her interesting view of reincarnation and the "truth about death". It is an interesting read although it requires an open mind. Even though I plant it firmly in the realm of L. Ron Hubbard and HP Lovecraft, I found it enjoyable nonetheless.

Archived