The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Speculation about what gets people into "heaven" or keeps them out

Harbinger

You are right, a religious person can't produce proof of a god existing just as an atheist can't provide proof a god(s) don't exist. That makes the agnostics of the world safe. The devout religious however aren't only trying to prove a god exists, they are trying to grow (sometimes forcefully) their religion and respective doctrines. Islam is particularly suspect when it comes to such expansions. When it comes to religion, the fight shouldn't be whether or not god(s) exist, it is why should any person take what is written in an old book (bible, quran, tipitaka, whatever) and use it to influence people's lives. If someone reads these books and finds the poetry and stories moving and inspirational, great. That is what all good books should do. However, noone should ever be made to live in a certain way or manner based on someone else's interpretation of those books.

Especially children, who can't read the books for themselves.

I didn't put you down, I argued your position, but you make a fair point. Can you elaborate on what life-changing supernatural experiences that caused total deniers to pull a 180?

Edit: Perhaps I'm being too nice here. I did say "for example" in my quote and you call it adding words to your post. I hope you show some more courtesy in your response.

can't believe someone is stupid enough to +1 that

i didn't even have you in mind when i posted that, thank you very much. (i _always_ post the scumbag meme when these sorts of 'debates' crop up)

everything I say is not directed at you. if i have something to say to you, i say it to you, understand? i'll quote your post before i respond, as i literally always do.

UH yes...Guess what dude...it isn't up to Science to validate your crackpot SWISS CHEESE hypothesis...it's up to the nutjob MAKING said hypothesis. You've got no evidence of any kind and then try to sit there and tell me that the onus isn't on the believer because they are the majority? Give me a break...and 95% of the National Academy of Science is either Atheist or Agnostic so you can go blow THAT particular load of smoke up someone else's ass.

Man you posted that same picture about 8 months ago and back then it absolutely WAS directed towards me so how was I supposed to know that when you used it this time it WASN'T directed towards me? And it was in a thread eerily similar to this one.. However you post something stupid like that that adds nothing to the conversation while calling the person stupid who plussed my post about you trolling...you post a picture unrelated to anything relevant...that is by definition trolling.

Well..if you'd read the ENTIRE post...I said my idea incorporates reincarnation to a POINT...because I believe time is cyclical. I never said I believed in reincarnation as it relates to religion. Learn to read. In my hypothesis as I described earlier...that you chose to be selective about reading...I said that we all know the phrase "history repeating itself"...In my ADMITTEDLY wild idea...which was not supposed to be taken seriously at this point as it was just a musing that I typed out so I wouldn't forget it later...I suggested that it's not only FADS that repeat themselves...or trends...but LIVES that repeat themselves. The same energy, recycled....because as we discussed the Third Law of Thermodynamics tells us that the energy does not dissapear completely...it was only a hypothesis...it's a wild one I do admit because there's no way to test it...but it's a pretty cool idea. I don't believe in the reincarnation that suggests that we come back as a lower form of life or whatever...there is a big difference.

Well..if you'd read the ENTIRE post...I said my idea incorporates reincarnation to a POINT...because I believe time is cyclical. I never said I believed in reincarnation as it relates to religion. Learn to read. In my hypothesis as I described earlier...that you chose to be selective about reading...I said that we all know the phrase "history repeating itself"...In my ADMITTEDLY wild idea...which was not supposed to be taken seriously at this point as it was just a musing that I typed out so I wouldn't forget it later...I suggested that it's not only FADS that repeat themselves...or trends...but LIVES that repeat themselves. The same energy, recycled....because as we discussed the Third Law of Thermodynamics tells us that the energy does not dissapear completely...it was only a hypothesis...it's a wild one I do admit because there's no way to test it...but it's a pretty cool idea. I don't believe in the reincarnation that suggests that we come back as a lower form of life or whatever...there is a big difference.

You have demonstrated why you would not have a chance it make it into law school - the LSAT would pose an insurmountable obstacle.

The LSAT is designed to measure skills that are considered essential for success in law school: the reading and comprehension of complex texts with accuracy and insight; the organization and management of information and the ability to draw reasonable inferences from it; the ability to think critically; and the analysis and evaluation of the reasoning and arguments of others.

In my case I scored in the 98th percentile.

Not you, Heretic.My bad.I will give one example. One week after my sister in law died at seventeen in a car accident, 3 adults and two teenagers saw her smiling in the picture window. We spent 2 hrs. trying to debunk it using car lights, people walking past even though there was no one around outside. The phenominom lasted for about 13 seconds as close as we could tell. She even moved her arm (which was broken before but not set properly) the same way she did in life. Mass hallucination? We weren't drinking or smoking weed. Just watching a movie. The TV was positioned so that there was no way it was cast by the TV. She didn't disappear instantly, just faded away. Now,maybe my wife wished she could see her sister one last time and could be attributed to her desperate wish, but what of the rest of us?

Sorry - you made laugh...interesting hypothesis...but when I first glanced I thought you said "I believe time to be cynical" :)

Picard: Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all Number One, we're only mortal.

Riker: Speak for yourself sir, I plan to live forever.

Not you, Heretic.My bad.I will give one example. One week after my sister in law died at seventeen in a car accident, 3 adults and two teenagers saw her smiling in the picture window. We spent 2 hrs. trying to debunk it using car lights, people walking past even though there was no one around outside. The phenominom lasted for about 13 seconds as close as we could tell. She even moved her arm (which was broken before but not set properly) the same way she did in life. Mass hallucination? We weren't drinking or smoking weed. Just watching a movie. The TV was positioned so that there was no way it was cast by the TV. She didn't disappear instantly, just faded away. Now,maybe my wife wished she could see her sister one last time and could be attributed to her desperate wish, but what of the rest of us?

Archived