The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

That’s gotta be easily 100 grams of sugar per day just off those two items. Your employees are gonna be diabetic. 

Honestly I tell him that.

he is 21.  Gym guy.  But honestly not including his pre workout drsinks and post workout drInks he consumes two large can energy drinks per day and at least one Gatorade .....that I see.....while we work.

im twice his age and neve touch them except the odd small redbull before a run after work.

We do pretty long days, but still, there are alternatives to sugar hits.

what is scary is that all the young guys on the site are more or less the same.

im sure this will be a healthcare issue in the future for this country.

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

he is 21.  Gym guy.  But honestly not including his pre workout drsinks and post workout drInks he consumes two large can energy drinks per day and at least one Gatorade .....that I see.....while we work.

im twice his age and neve touch them except the odd small redbull before a run after work.

I’ve thought for a while now that diabetes is going to be a major issue with my generation (I’ll be 25 in a couple weeks). You don’t see many millenials smoking, not nearly as many as my parents’ generation, but you do see a lot of us eating crap and carrying quite a bit of excess adipose tissue. 25 year olds with pre-diabetic blood tests. It’s kinda scary stuff. Pair that with ever-increasing sedentary lifestyles and it’s a bad combo. 

My brother is a 29 year old electrician. Works a more physically demanding job, sure, but gets home from work and eats crap food by the ton and sits on the couch. It’s bound to catch up with him before too long. He’s already gained quite a bit of weight since 25-26. 

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

I’ve thought for a while now that diabetes is going to be a major issue with my generation (I’ll be 25 in a couple weeks). You don’t see many millenials smoking, not nearly as many as my parents’ generation, but you do see a lot of us eating crap and carrying quite a bit of excess adipose tissue. 25 year olds with pre-diabetic blood tests. It’s kinda scary stuff. Pair that with ever-increasing sedentary lifestyles and it’s a bad combo. 

My brother is a 29 year old electrician. Works a more physically demanding job, sure, but gets home from work and eats crap food by the ton and sits on the couch. It’s bound to catch up with him before too long. He’s already gained quite a bit of weight since 25-26. 

I agree.  It is a tough though with physical work but if you can at all try,  a quick half hour of exercise after the day instead of the immediate couch can change your life.

21 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I agree.  It is a tough though with physical work but if you can at all try,  a quick half hour of exercise after the day instead of the immediate couch can change your life.

Even just a good walk will get the job done. Keep those hips moving. Hip disease is gonna run rampant in my generation. 

On 14/07/2018 at 11:20 AM, riffraff said:

I tried some of those Monster energy drinks before, every time I had one I felt sick.  And that was when I was early 20s.  

On 7/13/2018 at 1:13 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

Nailed it HI5. Just because you are stronger than stringbean doesn't make you more entitled to equipment.

I get that. So was I when I started. But you got those preassembled barbells. I, or most people cannot use those given where we are lifting. String bean can. Or dumbbell squat. Respectfully of course, always, as mentioned I was super small too, not a naturally big person at all.

13 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I get that. So was I when I started. But you got those preassembled barbells. I, or most people cannot use those given where we are lifting. String bean can. Or dumbbell squat. Respectfully of course, always, as mentioned I was super small too, not a naturally big person at all.

Point being he has alternatives. You don't.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:13 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

Nailed it HI5. Just because you are stronger than stringbean doesn't make you more entitled to equipment.

There's definitely needs to be an etiquette for all gym equipment. Squat racks shouldn't be used for exercises like curls ever. And yes, someone lifting 100lbs or less can easily use a pre-assembled par bell for their workout. 

Conversely, the "experts" who are monopolizing the squat racks with their 45+ minute 5x5 programs are equally as bad. You should never need more than a couple of minutes between sets. The people on the bizarre lightweight multi-factorial workout (split squat, then regular squat, then deadlift, then romanian deadlift, etc...) are equally as bad. You should be able to absolutely blast  your legs with one round of heavy squats. You're not entitled to have sole possession of a squat rock for 45 minutes - 1 hour. 

I been having hip soreness from squats I believe. I can do what I would call ‘heavy weights’ with a belt for myself and do them just fine. However for the past few weeks my hips have been sore. I seen a chiro/physio/athletic trainer for my soreness and nothing seems to really help. Even I left squatting for a few weeks and came back to it, still kind of tight. 

18 minutes ago, EoH said:

I been having hip soreness from squats I believe. I can do what I would call ‘heavy weights’ with a belt for myself and do them just fine. However for the past few weeks my hips have been sore. I seen a chiro/physio/athletic trainer for my soreness and nothing seems to really help. Even I left squatting for a few weeks and came back to it, still kind of tight. 

Which part of your hip?

On 7/20/2018 at 1:34 PM, EoH said:

Usually it’s the lower right side just above the tailbone 

Yeah, Nuckspatsfan would be great for this. 

Might I suggest, Bulgarian Split Squats as an alternative? Sounds like you are having low back pain. They could help. With that being said, take @NucksPatsFan advice over me. I've literally gone to him personally (also because he's one of my closest friends). Very good at what he does. 

On 7/20/2018 at 12:34 PM, EoH said:

Usually it’s the lower right side just above the tailbone 

You're aggravating your right sarcoiliac [SI] joint, affiliated with the L5/S1 junction. L5/S1 is the 'work-horse' of the spine, bearing more weight and mobility than any other part of the spine. 

Through an anonymous internet forum is a little hard to treat/diagnose of course, but if you're going to a physio/kin/chiro, have them find the pattern your body is using (ie. I'm going to assume glute med, QL, transverse abdom, rec rem are all impaired and QL+iliacus are heavily facilitating, but again, I'm just assuming based off of no history or observation) and get them to teach you the correctives - unless you have great extended health. Always better to do your own correctives.

In the mean time, stop with the heavy loads and break down what a squat works out into isolation's. Work (slowly) on your clam shell, single leg bridge holds, release your calf and QL, etc.  

• Upvote 2

On 7/14/2018 at 11:20 AM, riffraff said:

There are a lot of big slugs in society. Most of these guys probably never played sports as a kid either. Dad probably never said "get your ass out there." It's a lot easier to stay fit when you do it at a young age as opposed to being in your teens or 20s, then deciding to get active. Doesn't really happen. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

You're aggravating your right sarcoiliac [SI] joint, affiliated with the L5/S1 junction. L5/S1 is the 'work-horse' of the spine, bearing more weight and mobility than any other part of the spine. 

Through an anonymous internet forum is a little hard to treat/diagnose of course, but if you're going to a physio/kin/chiro, have them find the pattern your body is using (ie. I'm going to assume glute med, QL, transverse abdom, rec rem are all impaired and QL+iliacus are heavily facilitating, but again, I'm just assuming based off of no history or observation) and get them to teach you the correctives - unless you have great extended health. Always better to do your own correctives.

In the mean time, stop with the heavy loads and break down what a squat works out into isolation's. Work (slowly) on your clam shell, single leg bridge holds, release your calf and QL, etc.  

Thanks for the informative answer and although I stopped squatting for a week it’s still nagging me. By any chance do you happen to be a chiro/physio nearby and may be able to treat me ? Or any recommendations in the lower mainland? 

Edited by EoH

2 hours ago, EoH said:

Thanks for the informative answer and although I stopped squatting for a week it’s still nagging me. By any chance do you happen to be a chiro/physio nearby and may be able to treat me ? Or any recommendations in the lower mainland? 

Edited by Rough Neck