The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

I used to run a few night clubs and have been around a lot of big dudes. At one point we had a set of twins that stood 6'10, that is freakishly tall. These two were not juicers but most of the crews were.

I had a buddy that I used to spar with, he was actually a very good kick boxer with some competition success.  He juiced up and it put him into a weight class that he couldn't succeed in. It also lead to lot of shoulder injuries and affected other parts of his life( wonder if any of you remember that Bruins fan knocked out after the 2011 finals outside the Shark club, yep that was my buddy. No, he was not a rioter. He was working security and had his 'reasons'). . I haven't seen him for a few years, I hope he is doing well.

I don't know why people do the juice.

I'm bored at work and came across the below video. I could barely watch, it made me a bit sad but more so it was annoying to listen to. The big guy, that believes everyone admires him, can hardly talk without breathing heavy. He might as well be 200lbs overweight fat. 

Don't get me wrong. These men are strong as hell and very good at clearing rooms when hired as security. I just think they look like an old dated representation of what is a tough guy looks like. I have seen more than a few times big guys get lit up by smaller dudes that train boxing etc....those that have the speed and stamina balanced with their power.

What was that line from Once Were Warriors? "too many weights, not enough speed work."

Anyway, just thoughts . Keep up your honest hard work everyone.

53 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I used to run a few night clubs and have been around a lot of big dudes. At one point we had a set of twins that stood 6'10, that is freakishly tall. These two were not juicers but most of the crews were.

I had a buddy that I used to spar with, he was actually a very good kick boxer with some competition success.  He juiced up and it put him into a weight class that he couldn't succeed in. It also lead to lot of shoulder injuries and affected other parts of his life( wonder if any of you remember that Bruins fan knocked out after the 2011 finals outside the Shark club, yep that was my buddy. No, he was not a rioter. He was working security and had his 'reasons'). . I haven't seen him for a few years, I hope he is doing well.

I'm bored at work and came across the below video. I could barely watch, it made me a bit sad but more so it was annoying to listen to. The big guy, that believes everyone admires him, can hardly talk without breathing heavy. He might as well be 200lbs overweight fat. 

Don't get me wrong. These men are strong as hell and very good at clearing rooms when hired as security. I just think they look like an old dated representation of what is a tough guy looks like. I have seen more than a few times big guys get lit up by smaller dudes that train boxing etc....those that have the speed and stamina balanced with their power.

What was that line from Once Were Warriors? "too many weights, not enough speed work."

Outdated is right. A lot of muscle mass in real fight is more of a disability than an advantage. 

Any 155er with some consistent mma training could demolish all those guys in that video with relative ease. 

(And no I'm not a butt hurt small guy I'm 6'2 220). 

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2018 at 7:47 PM, brilac said:

I lost a pound this week, and am still keeping at it.  Today I went to the gym, and did a 20-min cardio, and then went to the park and walked the trail and waterfront.  I had this great idea to climb this really steep hill, and realized it was not a so good idea when I was half way up.  I was sliding everywhere I stepped, so I crouched down to my bottom and slid down.  I was filthy.  After that, I got on the bus, and went back to the gym, and did a 15-min run, and a 5-min cardio cool down.

I'm keeping at it.  I have 7 more pounds to go.

Good job!!   Thing is, try not to JUST measure via a scale because there are many things that can contribute to weight fluctuations.  Also consider how you're feeling, how your clothes fit (and measure in inches versus or as well as pounds), etc. in a big picture way.  It helps on the days when the scale might go the other way....don't get discouraged on those days because it can be defeating.

Also be careful not to burn yourself out...pace yourself and think of it as life changes versus just a sprint to get somewhere.  Not to be discouraging, just that focusing more on a lifelong commitment to exercise and diet not just a quick fix helps maintain things.  I went through a rough patch for ten years and gave up on things....that was a bad mistake.   After being fit my entire life, it's super hard to get back to where I want to be.  If I'd maintained things a bit better I wouldn't be having to basically start from scratch.  A year and a half of solid commitment and I'm getting there...

I love your enthusiasm and think you're awesome.  Great job!!

ALSO:  I HATE leg day.  I would rather eat nails.  I'd run away, fast, from leg day but that uses my legs.  This is mostly attributed to my training partner (who is a fitness competitor and 12 years younger than me).  She made me do those horrible squats in that guillotine machine that I no longer even look at.  SOO uncomfortable for me...gave it a few go's, but NO.    I swear under my breath at it as I pass it in the corner.  I'm all about biceps/triceps though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Good job!!   Thing is, try not to JUST measure via a scale because there are many things that can contribute to weight fluctuations.  Also consider how you're feeling, how your clothes fit (and measure in inches versus or as well as pounds), etc. in a big picture way.  It helps on the days when the scale might go the other way....don't get discouraged on those days because it can be defeating.

Also be careful not to burn yourself out...pace yourself and think of it as life changes versus just a sprint to get somewhere.  Not to be discouraging, just that focusing more on a lifelong commitment to exercise and diet not just a quick fix helps maintain things.  I went through a rough patch for ten years and gave up on things....that was a bad mistake.   After being fit my entire life, it's super hard to get back to where I want to be.  If I'd maintained things a bit better I wouldn't be having to basically start from scratch.  A year and a half of solid commitment and I'm getting there...

ALSO:  I HATE leg day.  I would rather eat nails.  I'd run away, fast, from leg day but that uses my legs.  This is mostly attributed to my training partner (who is a fitness competitor and 12 years younger than me).  She made me do those horrible squats in that guillotine machine that I no longer even look at.  SOO uncomfortable for me...gave it a few go's, but NO.    I swear under my breath at it as I pass it in the corner.  I'm all about biceps/triceps though.

Great point Deb.

state of mind relative to fitness and in general is far more important than lbs and inches.

my checklist to involves the following:

does exercise help my:

-emotional/mental health

-mind to rest

- inspiration to try other activities  and improve in current ones

- energy level

- sleep

- commitment to a healthy diet

of course appearance is in there but it’s level of importance is lesser than the rest.

• Upvote 2

On 8/16/2018 at 6:30 AM, Rough Neck said:

Not sure if you are lifting weights or just doing cardio, but I would recommend 3x a week full-body split, or 4x lower/upper body split (ex: mon, Tuesday, Thurs, Friday). Cardio you can do after your workout. You will burn more fat doing weights by building muscle and progressive overload than you will by doing just cardio. The key is to remember you are wanting to body fat, not weight. So while heavy lifting you may only lose 4lbs when you feel you should have lost 8, but it could be 3.5lbs of fat rather than 3lbs fat, 5 water and feeling like garbage. Keep working at it! Patience is key, even when you feel you have "stalled" you are better than you were even a few weeks ago! 

Thank you!  I have been lifting weights, and working out with a trainer prior.  I did a 6 month commitment with a trainer, and our last session was last week.  I learned a lot from the trainer, and have the tools I need to do weight training on my own.  I am doing it 2x a week. 

On 8/18/2018 at 11:31 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Thank you!  I am keeping at it. Went to the gym today, and ran.  Now I am heading to the store.  I am a quilt fanatic, and need string.  It gives me an opportunity to burn more calories walking and picking up stuff at the store.  I may go to the park or back to the gym later on today.

4 minutes ago, brilac said:

Thank you!  I am keeping at it. Went to the gym today, and ran.  Now I am heading to the store.  I am a quilt fanatic, and need string.  It gives me an opportunity to burn more calories walking and picking up stuff at the store.  I may go to the park or back to the gym later on today.

Go get 'em, girl!  Great job!

Great to read about people working out and getting healthy.

Congrats and well done.   

Personally, i  try to walk as much every day.   Do some errands on foot instead of using the car. 

Enjoy the beautiful parks we have in abundance of here in Canada.....

If i take the car.... park further away so you have to walk.   Use  the stair instead of elevators....

Just simple stuff like that.       Be active and be healthy.....

• Upvote 1

2 weeks to go to drop another 3lbs to meet my current goal. 

Shouldn't be a problem

On a side note I am trying yoga at home. 

Liking it for flexibility, stress relief and body awareness.

Oh and the yoga chicks on youtube are pretty cute  ::D 

18 hours ago, brilac said:

Thank you!  I have been lifting weights, and working out with a trainer prior.  I did a 6 month commitment with a trainer, and our last session was last week.  I learned a lot from the trainer, and have the tools I need to do weight training on my own.  I am doing it 2x a week. 

Nice work! Yeah, I've spent many years with trial and error for weightlifting, so having a trainer in the beginning is huge. Probably would have helped me a ton. 

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Any good places to get rain gear for cycling?   Or just go to MEC?

Need to get stuff to bike in the rain.

Mec has been good for me but:

marks warehouse sells helly Hansen gear which imo, although it can be a bit pricy, is very good quality.

I have helly for rain.  A thin shell only that breaths and I don’t get too hot.  I’m in construction and this will keep me dry for an entire day in the rain.

the arctic rated gear is also top quality fwiw.  Again, the breathability is crucial.  I could get a sweat on even at -30 or more and all i did was remove layers.  The bib pants and arctic rated hoodie along with inner layers handled -45 no problem.

sport check often has sales and they carry Columbi which seems to be a good outdoor clothing brand as well.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Mec has been good for me but:

marks warehouse sells helly Hansen gear which imo, although it can be a bit pricy, is very good quality.

I have helly for rain.  A thin shell only that breaths and I don’t get too hot.  I’m in construction and this will keep me dry for an entire day in the rain.

the arctic rated gear is also top quality fwiw.  Again, the breathability is crucial.  I could get a sweat on even at -30 or more and all i did was remove layers.  The bib pants and arctic rated hoodie along with inner layers handled -45 no problem.

sport check often has sales and they carry Columbi which seems to be a good outdoor clothing brand as well.

Thanks.   I'll check MEC, Mark's and Sportchek.

On 8/17/2018 at 12:43 PM, bishopshodan said:

Sounds like he just wasn't using steroids properly to meet his goals. A lot of super lean endurance athletes use steroids for weight loss as well. Lance Armstrong, despite copious PED use, only weighed 165 lbs. That's without cutting down for weight like fighters do. It's a myth that steroids will make you automatically big and sluggish. That only happens if you eat a ton to get big. Steroids will also change body composition to make it much easier to be lean. They can be used to increase both speed and stamina. Basically, you can use them to cheat in just about any physical competition by tailoring your diet and training towards your goals. One of their biggest advantages is that they eliminate recovery time. This is particularly valuable for MMA fighters. Hence, high profile fighters like Anderson Silva using them. 

I am glad they are cracking down on PEDs in MMA though. In a fighting sport, using PEDs is no different than bringing a weapon into the ring. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, taxi said:

Sounds like he just wasn't using steroids properly to meet his goals. A lot of super lean endurance athletes use steroids for weight loss as well. Lance Armstrong, despite copious PED use, only weighed 165 lbs. That's without cutting down for weight like fighters do. It's a myth that steroids will make you automatically big and sluggish. That only happens if you eat a ton to get big. Steroids will also change body composition to make it much easier to be lean. They can be used to increase both speed and stamina. Basically, you can use them to cheat in just about any physical competition by tailoring your diet and training towards your goals. One of their biggest advantages is that they eliminate recovery time. This is particularly valuable for MMA fighters. Hence, high profile fighters like Anderson Silva using them. 

I am glad they are cracking down on PEDs in MMA though. In a fighting sport, using PEDs is no different than bringing a weapon into the ring. 

Hey , that was tainted supplement that Andy took to get his junk working again!  ( really, that was his defence, tainted sex pills)

During his NSAC hearing the council was literally making fun of him as they contemplated suspending him for years and making him lose millions.

Heres a clip showing one of them having his phone set to play 'Lets talk about sex' when it rang ( during the review) this and a few weird things happened at that super professional hearing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2Lqq5nyo4

You're right, I agree 100% . Steroids when used correctly can give huge advantages. The term in the last few years in mma is "do they pass eye test."? which actually is more accurate than it sounds as most dummies even at that level are still going for the beach muscles. Competitors that use them with better guidance and strategy will look more natural such as Lance Armstrong or Jon Bones Jones for an mma reference. As you said, my buddy was likely uninformed and didn't use them in an proper manner. Still, it's completely cheating and I believe there could be serious long term affects,especially for those that use them to bulk up to unnatural sizes. 

And speaking of unnatural sizes and MMA, have you seen Rousimar Palhares lately? This cheating ( and not just steroids) disgraced former UFC'r used to compete at 170lbs.

Now he looks like....he's the one on the left...holy arms.

74C8ULI.thumb.jpg.fbf55845a0756439b7e8f5da84b16589.jpg

Edited by bishopshodan

Looking for opinions

It is time for me to think ahead to switching up my strength training routine.

What are people's thoughts/experiences in doing twice a day, three times a week. 

Midday doing heavy compound (stronglifts), early evening doing isolation exercises. Is it possible to go after strength and get a little extra hypertrophy this way?

Off days would be active rest (walking, volleyball, hockey) and HIIT.

Or maybe I will just do it anyway and share my results.  :) 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Hey , that was tainted supplement that Andy took to get his junk working again!  ( really, that was his defence, tainted sex pills)

During his NSAC hearing the council was literally making fun of him as they contemplated suspending him for years and making him lose millions.

Heres a clip showing one of them having his phone set to play 'Lets talk about sex' when it rang ( during the review) this and a few weird things happened at that super professional hearing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2Lqq5nyo4

You're right, I agree 100% . Steroids when used correctly can give huge advantages. The term in the last few years in mma is "do they pass eye test."? which actually is more accurate than it sounds as most dummies even at that level are still going for the beach muscles. Competitors that use them with better guidance and strategy will look more natural such as Lance Armstrong or Jon Bones Jones for an mma reference. As you said, my buddy was likely uninformed and didn't use them in an proper manner. Still, it's completely cheating and I believe there could be serious long term affects,especially for those that use them to bulk up to unnatural sizes. 

And speaking of unnatural sizes and MMA, have you seen Rousimar Palhares lately? This cheating ( and not just steroids) disgraced former UFC'r used to compete at 170lbs.

Now he looks like....he's the one on the left...holy arms.

74C8ULI.thumb.jpg.fbf55845a0756439b7e8f5da84b16589.jpg

Steroids, and many other PEDs, cause permanent changes in physiology, that will give you a permanent advantage. If MMA, or any other sport for that matter, was serious about banning their use, they would give out lifetime bans for cheaters. The fact of the matter is that professional sports make a lot of money off their athletes making big athletic achievements. They all look the other way. The testing is insanely lax in just about all of the professional sports, including MMA. They basically only catch athletes who get greedy or stupid.