The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] AV will be named head coach of NYR

I don't see AV improving NYR over where they were at. Esp. with Staal's eye injury and Richards' apparent drastic decline. He might squeeze some extra points out of them for the reg. season, but with parity, does that even matter?

Torts and the media would be fun, but is he an improvement over AV as a coach? Debatable. I'd say Torts is more of an option for this team if Gillis has some trade in the works with either NYR or TB involving vets.

I can see Lappy and maybe even Raymond signing with NYR if indeed AV coaches there. Hell, they might even give Manny another shot.

http://www.rds.ca/ho...angers-1.630762

The Ranger will meet AV today to interview him for their headcoaching position.

The position was left vacant since John Tortorella was fired on May 29.

AV lost his job with the Canucks on May 22.

Good for him, with the talent, goaltending and depth in NYR I see him as a really good candidante. I can see Nash, Callahan, Richards having good numbers under AV. Better than torts.

I always liked AV as a coach, but his time was done in Vancouver. Hopes he gets the job. Better in the East than in Dallas, because of the millions bandwagon threads we'll see when Dallas beats Vancouver next year.

EDIT: Canucks also had discussion with Jacques Martin per report above

I don't think the Sedins would work well under Torts. I don't think they are the kind of players that works well under constant yelling, criticism and benching. AV let them play and said he needed more from them from time to time and they had a lot of success.Torts had problems with Star players everywhere, LEcavalier, Gaborik, Richards.

I think people are misreading the effect Torts would have on the team. When he might be hard on the players at times, the players should be used to hearing that they need to play better. Pretty sure AV said that now and then. What else is new?

What Torts will bring though is a proven ability to deflect attention away from the players. For example, do you think the attention spent on what Luongo said about Thomas would be as big if Torts was here trumpeting his latest 'you're an idiot' comment to some media clown at the same time? If one of our main enemies is the media, then why not acquire the biggest media troll coach?

However, if our guys don't like "Torts' BS", then how will it work?

Not exactly a fan of Torts coming here, but i can see some positives. Both NY and Van are likely waiting for Bylsma.

Before everyone freaks out about about Tortorella and Martin. Realize that this is all part of the process.

Gillis is not only using this as an opportunity to find a new coach; he's also getting advice from some of the veteran coaches in the league to see what they think his team needs going forward. It could never hurt to get some free opinions from some experienced vets.

Does that mean Tortorella or Martin will be hired here? I really don't think so. I don't think this team has the right personalities on it to handle either of these coaches.

Archived