The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Riots/Vandalism in Chicago

All of those times we were ripped on by Chicago fans for 2011, all of those times from Boston fans for the riot.

Wake up to see cars destroyed businesses looted and a downtown core victimized in Chicago.

I am not going out there to say ha ha because nobody wants that in their city.

But I must confess a smidgen of satisfaction that they all held themselves to such a high standard only to have the same elements in their city on Madison Ave that perpetrate the same kind of garbage.

Discuss

Riots happen after big wins or losses in most cities, really.

Mix booze, large crowds and late night street crawling and you'll usually end up with some sortof mayhem, no matter what the event.

imho The players and media that focus on Vancouver for riot comments are just spiteful douchebags.

Only thing I read was this:

"

Now you may recall that when the B’s won Lord Stanley’s Cup back in 2012, the citizens of Vancouver reacted rather violently, tearing their city apart and rioting for hours. Well, we are sad to report that there was some hooliganism in Chi-town Monday night. According to the Twitterverse, the home of ’Hawks coach Joel Quenneville was TP’d! Ya, those crazy Chicagoans covered the coach’s house, yard and trees in toilet paper. Apparently, the same thing happened back in 2010, and, well, tradition. - See more at:

http://bostonherald.com/inside_track/the_inside_track/2013/06/blackhawks_and_cup_get_down_to_party#sthash.W37sjRRr.dpuf"

Riot might be a bit of an overstatement but hundreds of fans flipping cars jumping on cars smashing shop windows and looting....seems to be about as close to rioting as you can get. hence the vandalism in the title.

But yes you can look on youtube as for some reason NOBODY in Chicago or even the USA media is talking about this at all. But Vancouver rises up and it's world wide for weeks....

Reading some of the comments it is pathetic over this by the way. All I keep seeing is "must have come from Vancouver" and "Boston fans would never do this"

When it was proven by the records most of those named in the Van riots weren't even from Vancouver itself and that Boston has rioted 4 or 5 times with 3 related deaths in the last decade....

I just get so confused by the stupidity of some people.

Classless is classless and comments like that are just as damaging to population as vandalism like this because it shows a severe lack of information through the general populace.

Nobody wants or needs this crap in their cities, but I thought it would be a worthy post because of all the flack Boston and Chicago fans give us for 2011

Found this...

Later, police officers in riot gear responded to the intersection of Addison Street and Southport Avenue around 1:15 a.m., after a crowd of fans started throwing glass bottles at police vehicles. Several people in the crowd climbed on top of traffic poles, cars, bus shelters, and a flatbed truck; while others threw bottles and trash in the streets.

The crowd was mostly dispersed by about 1:40 a.m.

Windows were shattered at several businesses in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, along Clark Street.

Police said 23 people were arrested during the massive celebration in Lakeview, mostly for reckless conduct, disorderly conduct and battery. Police also handed out 21 tickets for drinking in public, littering, and public urination.

It's not a big deal. This happens in every major city when they win a major championship but how bad the damage is depends on how well the city prepares for it. When the Phillies won the World Series here in Philly the mayor announced that he thought everyone would handle it maturely (dumbass) and when it started hitting the AM's the drunks started rioting and destroyed a lot of property before riot police where even deployed. The next year when they made it back to the World Series they had riot police out as soon as it happened and when people started to riot it was contained and controlled before it picked up.

If you look up every major cities recent championship they all have at least some incidents of vandalisms/arrests following the wins.

Riot might be a bit of an overstatement but hundreds of fans flipping cars jumping on cars smashing shop windows and looting....seems to be about as close to rioting as you can get. hence the vandalism in the title.

But yes you can look on youtube as for some reason NOBODY in Chicago or even the USA media is talking about this at all. But Vancouver rises up and it's world wide for weeks....

Reading some of the comments it is pathetic over this by the way. All I keep seeing is "must have come from Vancouver" and "Boston fans would never do this"

When it was proven by the records most of those named in the Van riots weren't even from Vancouver itself and that Boston has rioted 4 or 5 times with 3 related deaths in the last decade....

I just get so confused by the stupidity of some people.

Classless is classless and comments like that are just as damaging to population as vandalism like this because it shows a severe lack of information through the general populace.

Nobody wants or needs this crap in their cities, but I thought it would be a worthy post because of all the flack Boston and Chicago fans give us for 2011

Jerks will be jerks and every city has some. As we know all too well, some people will always try to take advantage of a party situation to take it too far and ruin everything for everyone. I'm just glad to hear it didn't get too out of hand.

For me the most shocking thing from the article linked above was: "Within minutes of the victory, fans were also streaming to stores like the Sports Authority to plunk down $24 for official Stanley Cup championship t-shirts."

$24?! We'd be lucky to get to a t-shirt for double that if the Canucks won. :frantic:

All of those times we were ripped on by Chicago fans for 2011, all of those times from Boston fans for the riot.

Wake up to see cars destroyed businesses looted and a downtown core victimized in Chicago.

I am not going out there to say ha ha because nobody wants that in their city.

But I must confess a smidgen of satisfaction that they all held themselves to such a high standard only to have the same elements in their city on Madison Ave that perpetrate the same kind of garbage.

Discuss

Archived