The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burkie to the Flames

lumberman

Feaster has done nothing to improve the Flames. He has dismantled the team, has no real topnotch prospects, and ensured the team will bottom feed for a while. Burke would be a great step in the right direction. His attitude led to his departure in Toronto, not his ability. The only thing Toronto lacked was a goalie last year. If they had consistency at that position, they could be a contender. Again, Calgary would be way better off with Brian on the team.

And like others have said, makes sense for this to happens plus most likely the position he will be given will have power upon the GM spot maybe influencing moves.

...I think Feasters job is going to done in 2 years max (I'm anticipating it to be after or during this year) as he's only crushed the organization and Burke will take over. He first off said he was going to rebuild but always second guessed it by signing/trading for veteran players who are somewhat good and cause the Flames to remain a middle of the pack team for quite sometime / didn't make the playoffs nor did he get a high pick. That's just one mistake and the others would never end really...then just this past year, he decides to finally tank and does so acquiring 3 1st round picks, and he makes 2 questionable picks...still have no idea why he picked the other guy over Shinkaruk..honestly don't even know that guys name nor heard of him before he was picked...

This is only big news if Brian Burke is actually able to make some hockey decisions.

Calgary weaknesses in recent years have included

-Drafting (Both quality and quantity)

-Ineffective free agent acquisition

-Questionable coaching (blown leads, late 3rd period collapses)

Flames ownership is to blame for a lot of this mess. I really believe Flames GMs haven't been able to do anything without check with their bosses every single time.

If Burke cannot actually make changes without getting Flames ownership's approval, nothing will change.

Well well well.... Things just getting a while lot more interesting.

I dont know how to provide the link from my Iphone but according to Calgary Herald.... Burke is in DEEP negotiations.

I for one absolutely love this. Kevin Lowe to the north, Mike Gillis to the west, Anaheim to the south....

Hopefully our rivalry with Calgary picks up again. It was sure dead for a few years whilst we been developing rivalries with Chicago, San Jose, etc...

Now with 2 HUGE personalities in Torts and Burke.... This could potentially blow the roof off IMO.

Thoughts anyone?

A reliable source tells CTV Calgary Wednesday night that former Toronto Maple Leafs president and GM Brian Burke is joining the Calgary Flames organization.

What role the 58-year-old will assume in Calgary has not been announced. The social media site Twitter lit up Wednesday afternoon with tweets circulating that Burke could be joining the Calgary Flames and that he was expected in Calgary that evening.

According to the official AJHL Lloydminster Bobcats website, Burke is expected to take part in its Evening of Champions Fundraiser Dinner Thursday night.

Archived