The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] No Contract Extension Talk Between Vancouver Canucks and Zack Kassian

http://thecanuckway.com/2013/12/04/contract-extension-talk-vancouver-canucks-zack-kassian/

The Vancouver Canucks couldn’t wait to re-sign goaltender Eddie Lack to a contract extension. Not so much for right winger Zack Kassian.

There have been no contract extension talks between the Canucks and Kassian’s representatives.

Kassian is in the final year of his three-year entry-level contract signed when he was still in the Buffalo Sabres organization. He is slated to become a restricted free agent this summer.

The qualifying offer to retain the rights for Kassian is set at $850,500.

Really not that big of a deal but decided I'd post it just so people are aware. Talks usually begin near the end of the season or in the offseason anyways so yea, don't look into it more than a simple article.

Talking about Kass though, he hasn't had a very good contract year so what do you expect him to sign at? I'm guessing a 2 year deal worth $1.5 mill per year.

He should get about as much as schroeder got (600k) he has dond nothing to earn a bigger contract than that. If he wants more then might be time for a trade. If sestito is playing better than you then there is a problem

His salary for next yr should come directly out of GMMG's pocket as a result of making this stupid trade

if u were the agent, u probably would want to wait and see how Kassian does this year before committing to a contract with his current level of performance.

No big deal, but it is clear that Kassian has all the materials but is lacking some tools to put them together.

There are shifts where he mkes a slick pass out to the point or to the slot, and shifts where he makes nice plays in tight and protects the puck, goes hard to the net.

Other shifts he is behind the play, out of position, throws blind passes up to the middle of the ice or loses puck battles in his defensive end

I have two thoughts on Kassian

1. Put him with skill players and leave him there, tell him to play simple in his own end. Let him build confidence.

2.make him work for his crappy little minutes and hope that next year when horvat is on the team playing great two way hockey, he will get his crap together once he sees a young rookie outplaying him.

IMO Zack Kassian is in a situation like David Booth. He's has been a healthy scratch a few games not got a lot of minutes. Then Torts puts Booth on the 1st and 2nd line and look how well hes playing torts has faith now in Booth and has 0 for Zack, its hard for kassain to put up points when you playing with Sestito and Welsh.Kassain on the the 4th line is whats hurting Zack the most. Zack Kassain is on his game with he plays more, fights and mixes it up after the whistle. I think torts has to put some faith in Kassain and put him on the 1st line for 3-5 games then put him on the 2-3 line for the rest on the season. C'mon Torts you said you would give Kassain a chance with the Sedins and so far this year you haven't given him 1 shot to prove you and all his haters wrong. I know Kassain isn't the best at times like gives away the puck(Edler) and isn't the best defensively(Edler) yet you play Edler 23 minutes and game and he only has 8 point. but GOOD GOD David Booth was doing horrible into you gave him chance to succeed and that's my opinion on Zack Kassain. Torts put some Faith into Kassain and it might work just out like Booth did. As an example Weise was putting up no points until they put him with better players like Hansen and Richardson, now he has confince in himself and hes paying great. What do they expect from Kassain playing with Sestito(Plug) much rather have Achiebald and Welsh and Kassain only playing 6-10 mins a game. hard for Kassain to be motivated when your Coach torts has not faith in you what so ever.

Kass hasn't done enough to get the Canucks to sit down and lock him up before the season.

It's time for Kass get some more TOI after playing a few solid games on the fourth line. I think the reason he's on the fourth line is so that he can simplfy his game, do things like get pucks out, get pucks in, play the body. He's done that, time for a little more ice time.

If we hadn't traded for kass and had kept hodgson, do you think we would have drafted nichuskin instead of horvat seeing as both horvat and hodgson are centres.

Imagine.

Sedin-sedin-Kesler

Burrows-hodgson-nichuskin

Hodgson wanted out, it's been discussed thousands of times on these boards. No point in wishing that he was still here, it is fair to say that an alternative return could have been had. I swear MG undervalued Hodgson who is now the first line centre of the Sabres..

IMO Zack Kassian is in a situation like David Booth. He's has been a healthy scratch a few games not got a lot of minutes. Then Torts puts Booth on the 1st and 2nd line and look how well hes playing torts has faith now in Booth and has 0 for Zack, its hard for kassain to put up points when you playing with Sestito and Welsh.Kassain on the the 4th line is whats hurting Zack the most. Zack Kassain is on his game with he plays more, fights and mixes it up after the whistle. I think torts has to put some faith in Kassain and put him on the 1st line for 3-5 games then put him on the 2-3 line for the rest on the season. C'mon Torts you said you would give Kassain a chance with the Sedins and so far this year you haven't given him 1 shot to prove you and all his haters wrong. I know Kassain isn't the best at times like gives away the puck(Edler) and isn't the best defensively(Edler) yet you play Edler 23 minutes and game and he only has 8 point. but GOOD GOD David Booth was doing horrible into you gave him chance to succeed and that's my opinion on Zack Kassain. Torts put some Faith into Kassain and it might work just out like Booth did. As an example Weise was putting up no points until they put him with better players like Hansen and Richardson, now he has confince in himself and hes paying great. What do they expect from Kassain playing with Sestito(Plug) much rather have Achiebald and Welsh and Kassain only playing 6-10 mins a game. hard for Kassain to be motivated when your Coach torts has not faith in you what so ever.

Your point invalid because the so called "plug" sestito seems to be able to put up points and out play kassian right now

If he keeps playing like a 4th liner then we can give him a 4th liner contract. Fine by me. I would love to give him a 5yr - 5M contract. Somewhere along the line he is going to play better and his contract will be a bargain.

Archived