The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] No Contract Extension Talk Between Vancouver Canucks and Zack Kassian

Hardly trolling. Facts hurt.

You can't call a player utterly useless cause he's not. Every player has a niche that they can fit into.

It's not a fact, its an opinion.

That would be like me saying considering Jordan Schroeder is the all time leading american junior team scorer he's been an utter disappointment since he hasn't become a full time regular.

I really don't get the love in Schroeder gets around here due to when he's played he's been just as ineffective.

You can't call a player utterly useless cause he's not. Every player has a niche that they can fit into.

It's not a fact, its an opinion.

That would be like me saying considering Jordan Schroeder is the all time leading american junior team scorer he's been an utter disappointment since he hasn't become a full time regular.

I really don't get the love in Schroeder gets around here due to when he's played he's been just as ineffective.

Schroeder was on pace for ~25pts last year, was defensively responsible, and never took bad penalties. For a rookie 3rd line C that's not ineffective at all.

Meanwhile Kassian was on pace for slightly fewer points while racking almost all of the ones he did get playing with the Sedins. He always took stupid penalties, and had the worst +/- on the team. And that was his second year in the league.

Schroeder was on pace for ~25pts last year, was defensively responsible, and never took bad penalties. For a rookie 3rd line C that's not ineffective at all.

Meanwhile Kassian was on pace for slightly fewer points while racking almost all of the ones he did get playing with the Sedins. He always took stupid penalties, and had the worst +/- on the team. And that was his second year in the league.

If he was defensively responsible, why was he sent down? I clearly recall that as a 3rd line centre he was victimized on several nights causing AV to lose faith in him. But that's the problem. His skillset and size means he should be a second line center. There is no way he is a viable option at number 3 in the playoffs.

If he was defensively responsible, why was he sent down? I clearly recall that as a 3rd line centre he was victimized on several nights causing AV to lose faith in him. But that's the problem. His skillset and size means he should be a second line center. There is no way he is a viable option at number 3 in the playoffs.

He was sent down because he's like 5'6 and as a third line centre unless you are putting up huge points that's not going to cut it.

Why on earth would Kassian's agent want to negotiate right now? There's a better chance that as the season goes on he shows more reason why he should earn a bigger contract, while currently the Canucks would be telling Kass and Co that the bridge contract they're ready to offer is less than what he currently makes.

So, basically a non-story.

Your point invalid because the so called "plug" sestito seems to be able to put up points and out play kassian right now

If by 'putting up points' you mean 1 in his 20th game this season, and then another 1 in the last 11 games.

This is the stuff that makes these discussions such nonsense. Exaggeration. Sestito has played well in his role, but 'putting up points' isn't really part of it.

Love that Kassian though. An opportune time to re-sign him for the Canucks, but only if his agent were either negligent or if Kassian is simply looking to get it done and make a statement that he wants to be here and earn every dollar, because signing at this point isn't really to his advantage.

An odd article really with contrived timing.

Why on earth would Kassian's agent want to negotiate right now? There's a better chance that as the season goes on he shows more reason why he should earn a bigger contract, while currently the Canucks would be telling Kass and Co that the bridge contract they're ready to offer is less than what he currently makes.

So, basically a non-story.

Exactly. Calling it a "report" is flattering himself.

Kassian has the same amount of goals as bert with only 25 shots and no PP time.

People are so desperate to hate on a player, it really is just sad. Look at this instance. Bert never was an impact since his 5th year and like this poster said, Kassian at this point is doing better than Bert.

Nonesense and shows your personality if you relentlessly hate. Calm down, and give him the time and years to develop.

Hodgson wanted out, it's been discussed thousands of times on these boards. No point in wishing that he was still here, it is fair to say that an alternative return could have been had. I swear MG undervalued Hodgson who is now the first line centre of the Sabres..

Sabres are dead last no? Alberts would be a top 4 d-man on that team..

Hodgson wanted out, it's been discussed thousands of times on these boards.

Neither side will confirm this. Stop with the unsubstantiated speculation that goes as proof.

When asked if Hodgson asked for a trade, Gillis said:

“That’s an internal thing, I’m not going to comment about,” he said.

It was pointed out to Gillis, that his non-answer will lead to rampant speculation Hodgson did in fact ask for a trade from the team setting the pace in the Western Conference

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/02/27/did-cody-hodgson-ask-for-a-trade/

if u were the agent, u probably would want to wait and see how Kassian does this year before committing to a contract with his current level of performance.

No big deal, but it is clear that Kassian has all the materials but is lacking some tools to put them together.

There are shifts where he mkes a slick pass out to the point or to the slot, and shifts where he makes nice plays in tight and protects the puck, goes hard to the net.

Other shifts he is behind the play, out of position, throws blind passes up to the middle of the ice or loses puck battles in his defensive end

I have two thoughts on Kassian

1. Put him with skill players and leave him there, tell him to play simple in his own end. Let him build confidence.

2.make him work for his crappy little minutes and hope that next year when horvat is on the team playing great two way hockey, he will get his crap together once he sees a young rookie outplaying him.

yup. his agent would be dumb to negotiate right now

Archived