The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HBO's "True Detective"

GLASSJAW

Guest r0cknr0lla

I love this show........just cant go wrong with Matt and Woody. I love the banter between the 2 and accompanied with an impending sense of doom in each episode. The last episode gave me nightmares all night. I kept nightmaring Virgil from Hannibal was out to get me. Don't want to give anything away for those who might be waiting for entire season to end to watch or those who may not have seen it yet.......LOVE THIS SHOW though!

According to Wikipedia, there are only 8 episodes and tonight's should be the last. However, IMDB's got one episode 9 shown. #confused

Pretty sure there was supposed to be eight. Maybe the ninth is for the "making of" special.

Wow.

Fantastic show.

I've never felt so much suspense in any show but this one. No show has ever made me stand up from my seat. This one did.

There's some parts that I feel like they should have touched on. Like his daughter's drawings and the dolls' set-up, etc. I guess they leave that up to the audience.

I'm left a tad bit unsatisfied with the finale.

The climax was very intense yes, and the whole set was totally Taxes Chainsaw Massacre on steriods. For once you are truly concerned with the safety of the leads. But the whole thing was cliche. Cops locate bad guys, cops fight bad guys, cops kill bad guys, cops down and out when the whole police department shows up to rescue.

They need to continue this story in the direction of tackling the child prostitution / torture ring some time in the future... but even that sounds cliche already.

Wow.

Fantastic show.

I've never felt so much suspense in any show but this one. No show has ever made me stand up from my seat. This one did.

There's some parts that I feel like they should have touched on. Like his daughter's drawings and the dolls' set-up, etc. I guess they leave that up to the audience.

Yeah, I did feel like they were going to tie that in somehow. I'm fine with the idea that they didn't though. There's a big story there, and it's easy enough to shape it in our heads.

I appreciated that they had a tangible ending, rather than something vague with the 2 of them dying, and the cycle continuing indefinitely. They didn't route all evil, or even all of this specific ring, which would have been too much, but they did stop what they saw was happening at the beginning of the show, and that's I think the right level to which it's satisfying.

Not the greatest finale, but I feel like that wraps up what needed to be said for the most part. I wouldn't mind if next season continued on a similar story (or the same carcosa/Lousiana kidnappings line), but it doesn't need to. I don't think it will either way.

That last fifteen minutes or so were some of the most amazing acting I've ever seen, particularly Rust recalling how he slipped into coma.

I knew, despite all the true detecting us fans were doing, that it was not going to be a complicated story with all the hidden clues that were intentional and the ones we forced ourselves to see. The writer of the show admitted to that since the beginning. It was thematically fulfilling, tense when it needed to be and just a beautiful piece of work overall. What a ride it's been.

I really liked the last bit with the darkness, and the stars then phasing in to brighten things up to whatever extent they could. Summed things up nicely.

I liked Rust's last vision. And the whole sequence with the neighborhood gunfight.

Too bad his character is likely toast for season 2 etc.

According to wiki, everyone season will have a new set of story and characters.

I do look very much forward to season 2.

I don't know if using the word 'gripping' is too cliche, but that's the best way I could describe the first 30+ minutes of last night's episode. The show did an amazing job of making you feel entirely uncomfortable without also be extremely gory. They had an amazing set, so eerie.

It is a shame that Harrelson and McCaunaghey won't be back, but with the success of the first season I wouldn't be surprised if the show could draw other marquee actors. Film stars tend to avoid TV shows so that they don't get locked into the same character for 5-6 seasons. Knowing that you shoot 8-9 episodes and then you're done may be a way to entice some bigger names.

I don't know if using the word 'gripping' is too cliche, but that's the best way I could describe the first 30+ minutes of last night's episode. The show did an amazing job of making you feel entirely uncomfortable without also be extremely gory. They had an amazing set, so eerie.

It is a shame that Harrelson and McCaunaghey won't be back, but with the success of the first season I wouldn't be surprised if the show could draw other marquee actors. Film stars tend to avoid TV shows so that they don't get locked into the same character for 5-6 seasons. Knowing that you shoot 8-9 episodes and then you're done may be a way to entice some bigger names.

Yeah man. Perhaps they will make cameo appearances here and there.

One thing I love about this show has been Louisiana itself - the place is haunting, run down, a post industrial dying wasteland. Notice whenever Rust or Marty had to drive to a big city it's always at night so you don't really see much 'modern civilization'. While I look forward to fresh new stories from another part of the country next season I wouldn't mind going back there again.

Just an amazing tv series from start to finish. I am very glad that I took part in watching an excellent story with bone chilling acting. I cannot grasp some of the unexplained mystery's (mainly Marty's children's paintings in his house). But I've realized that leaving these loose ends... loose, makes me appreciate the series even more.

I thought the children's strange actions were to set the mood and to build distraction. There was significant character building with everyone, but not enough to kill the tone of the overall series.

(Something the Walking Dead is going through now for some reason is an over-the-top amount of character building considering there are quite a few characters you don't care if they live or they die, and they're sacrificing the tone of the series. Basically, this doubled season should have been cut in half. But whatever, at this rate they're just milking it.)

The one storyline that I felt was left unresolved was the "flower" angle.

At the beginning of this episode, Errol's wife/cousin (or whatever she was) made reference to "planting flowers" which we later found out to be a sexual reference.

I expected it to be tied into the wall mural at the hospital and by extension, the similar painting that Marty's daughter did.

All I can guess is that flowers have some deeper meaning to Errol and as a painter for a local company with a lot of contracts, he was able to incorporate them into the artwork at the hospital (and likely other places as well)

Most likely, Marty's daughter saw a similar mural somewhere and copied it. Perhaps there was something similar at her school.

@CB007: True Detective, Treme, True Blood and even Duck Dynasty. It certainly seems like Louisiana in "in" right now. ;)

Archived