The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HBO's "True Detective"

GLASSJAW

The first season is still vastly superior in every regard, but at least this one is at least coming up on par with shows like csi. I'm surprised as to how boring this one has been so far actually. The tone is also sub-par. As is the acting. Incredibly disappointed in Vaughn so far. This isn't Dodgeball 2, Vince. Ya stinkin' Hawks fan.

Yeah, I'm hooked. The scene where Bezzerides "shares" during the sexual harassment meeting had me laughing out loud... :lol:

I do have one complaint though: Two episodes in a row now have ended with a bang, yet the subsequent episode ties them up with a whimper. We thought Ray had been killed off, only to find that some guy shot him with buckshot for some reason...

Then a bunch of cops and civilians are killed in a shootout with Mexican drug runners and we tune in to find out it's months later, everyone has been demoted, or has quit and as Velcoro eloquently put it, "no one cares".

It might be realistic, but it seems a bit weak to me.

I was okay with how the shoot out played out. I'm fine with where things went, and it being swept under the rug fits in with how nothing is fitting together. For them to have wasted an episode on the aftermath would have been anticlimactic.

Though the episode 2 ending I don't want to bother to defend. Fake deaths is the weakest plot device out there, in line with "it was all a dream." It can work in specific circumstances, but this wasn't one of them. A fake cliffhanger to drum up interest for the next episode is probably the most egregious circumstance to use it in.

The first two episodes were really slow, where characters spent the entire run time talking without saying anything at all. A lot of cliche one liners and responses that made me wince a bit as well. And for a show called "True Detective", it didn't seem to have any interest in mystery solving and detective work. Not a coincidence that the show has picked up massively as they simply began to start investigating.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the last episode will save this season for me. Where they went with who did what and why they did it, it's all very weak. The show throws around so many names, and so many bland characters that it's impossible to keep up. I didn't even know who the hell Holloway and Burris exactly were until I looked it up after watching the episode.

All that stuff about the orphaned children didn't make sense either, but again, after looking it up, it was another case of "who are they. and why should I care?". For them to potentially be the ones to put the story of the show in motion sounds silly.

The show did nothing on the whole for so long the whole season, so them deciding to just drop everything they learned in that motel scene had me rewinding and watching it 3 times over to try making sense of it, before I gave up. After the "reveal" that the Russians were backstabing Vince Vaughn, it felt to me that the obvious stuff is too obvious, the mysterious stuff is convoluted, the coincidences are too strong, and pointless reveals and tangents are making potentially interesting things equally pointless in their wake.

Feels like the chance for payoff for being patient with the show has come and gone for me.

I don't think the last episode will save this season for me. Where they went with who did what and why they did it, it's all very weak. The show throws around so many names, and so many bland characters that it's impossible to keep up. I didn't even know who the hell Holloway and Burris exactly were until I looked it up after watching the episode.

All that stuff about the orphaned children didn't make sense either, but again, after looking it up, it was another case of "who are they. and why should I care?". For them to potentially be the ones to put the story of the show in motion sounds silly.

The show did nothing on the whole for so long the whole season, so them deciding to just drop everything they learned in that motel scene had me rewinding and watching it 3 times over to try making sense of it, before I gave up. After the "reveal" that the Russians were backstabing Vince Vaughn, it felt to me that the obvious stuff is too obvious, the mysterious stuff is convoluted, the coincidences are too strong, and pointless reveals and tangents are making potentially interesting things equally pointless in their wake.

Feels like the chance for payoff for being patient with the show has come and gone for me.

I have to agree, the plot is becoming more convoluted than Jessie's cigarette. I honestly have no clue what is going on anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if the killer was her father or something.

Even the plot from the first season was a bit weak, the only difference was it was made up for with brilliant acting from Harrelson and Mcconnaughey as well as the darker tone.

Season 1 is obviously better but season 2 is still good entertainment and better then pretty much all other crime shows on tv. The last episode was definitely the best of the series. SPOILERS Kind of predictable though I knew a certain character wasn't going to make it. And how they were killed was kind of dumb. How would the killer know where to be for the easy kill? Lol SPOILERS

Season 1 is obviously better but season 2 is still good entertainment and better then pretty much all other crime shows on tv. The last episode was definitely the best of the series. SPOILERS Kind of predictable though I knew a certain character wasn't going to make it. And how they were killed was kind of dumb. How would the killer know where to be for the easy kill? Lol SPOILERS

Not sure how many exits there were in that area of the building. Maybe he decided to lay in wait, knowing that the "certain character" would need to get outside where there was some cell service.

All I can say is that he better be dead. The fake killing of Velcoro was uber lame.

Gotta say though, I love Frank's exit strategy. B)

Is it as good as season 1? No.

But it's still better than 99% of the crap on TV nowadays, and I've found it to be quite enjoyable for the most part.

If it's not being compared to season 1 it is still a great show.

Yep. I look forward to 8:00 Sunday nights. (And 10:00, for Last Week Tonight)

• 2 weeks later...

I liked that finale to whatever extent was possible after episode 7, but after sitting on it for a couple of days the season I don't approve of the season on a whole any more than I did in my last post. I don't want to repeat myself, so I won't, but that combination of it being inaccessible while being both convoluted and shallow makes me look on the story and production unfavourably. Not as much as other people are hating it online to the massive extents that they are, but I can't say that I liked it.

I think there's some validity in comparing it to season 1 in pinpointing just where they went wrong this time, and what they could do to avoid the same mistakes in season 3, regarding pacing, dialogue, character density and depth, and general story arch narratives. I think the subdued general response from a large portion of those that were eagerly anticipating it probably speaks a lot to the issues the show had in generating appeal, and if that doesn't offer the show runners a kick in the pants, the financial/viewership aspect will force their hands in some way.

I don't know how much better or worse it was than every other TV show out there, as I don't quite watch enough of them to make such a statement, but I'm certain that if this was the first season of the show, or my at least my first experience with it, I wouldn't have given it a chance after episode 3-4 or so.

Archived