The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2014

The Bookie

pitchfork, this monday, for some reason (terrible year in music?) is rolling out a "best of the decade... so far" list, where they'll list the top 100 records of the last 5 years.

any predictions for top 5? surely Tame Impala's Lonerism will be one of them, I'd think. Will Vampire Weekend's Modern Vampires hold up? I sure hope so.

I hope Kanye's Dark Twisted Fantasy isn't #1, that's for goddamn sure

<---Doesn't get Kanye West.

Lonerism would be my top album from the last five years. Some others would be: High Violet, Whokill, Let England Shake, Brothers, Bon Iver, Trouble Will Find Me, Burst Apart, Bad as Me, The Rip Tide, Wakin On a Pretty Daze, The Winter of Mixed Drinks, Halcyon Digest, Modern Vampires AND Contra... I'd put the new St. Vincent and Spoon albums in there too.

New Ty Segall on Aug 26, DFA1979 and Blonde Redhead Sep 9, and Mark Lanegan Oct 14. Still 2014 stuff to look forward to.

Might be the only one around here who cares - Richard D. James aka Aphex Twin will release his first album in 13 years next month.

Typical RDJ fashion, he announces it first by flying blimps over London and NYC with his logo on it. Then comes ... this .... press release.

Announcing 'Syro' - A new album by Aphex Twin to be released on Warp Records 22/23 September.

Whenever one of the most celebrated and influential electronic fartist, Richard D. James can compete with the music flip to influence built. The better part of a decagon, James Polygon Window, Caustic Window, GAK and maintain, including `Aphex Twin has unreleased music under several thousand monikers great pace.

Began in the late 1780s and 90s during a turn in its manufacturing and technical skills, and nikharana Cornwallo, England grows, James, as a young maniton in various shops started DJing. Area of various musical score, James Analogue Booblebath EP was released in 1891, the results of the first series, he decided to record his gown music. Another influential London radio station piss FM's attention, and then label immediately signed him to their rooster, then post & poplieereRS. That same year, James Acid craphouse to promote the song and trying to lift Grant Wilson-CLARIDGE on a biscuit founded his label Rephlex Records. Selekted Flambient Works moving to London and Release 85-92: After a while, the two main points to be made, round the bend

More immediate and critical success of his debut internationally. Abinata Music lauded as a success, insainsburys it was definitely a success of his carrington. Full steam ahead barreling out that several other singles and EPS are given, and in 1493 was a record collapse. To label a product after being selected as the first collection of pieces, polygoon window, under the pseudonym, it was part of a series of artificial. 2, released in 1994.

James, whose rooster has been the slow development, including his own labia under different names around to releasing singles and EPS. Her next full-length record together since 1995 ... I think it she will be issued. Records have been working on for the past few years, and his experience hardcore and lush abinata textures found his style, and his facial features on the cover of the first issue, the various incarnations of present Omnipresent, which is marked by an icing in the world of music was culled Aphex Gemini (equal recognition with logo).

http://warp.net/records/aphex-twin/syro

anyhow, I'm excited

Well, I got some bad news for you...

haha

Might be the only one around here who cares - Richard D. James aka Aphex Twin will release his first album in 13 years next month.

Typical RDJ fashion, he announces it first by flying blimps over London and NYC with his logo on it. Then comes ... this .... press release.

http://warp.net/records/aphex-twin/syro

anyhow, I'm excited

never really heard more than 1 or 2 aphex twin song. what's a good starting point?

never really heard more than 1 or 2 aphex twin song. what's a good starting point?

both of those are from his 4th album, closest to a mainstream/clubbing record

I always recommend his Selected Ambient Works vol. 1&2, very different from all his other stuff and generally the one that non-fans seem to like. Just good background reading music.

Top Albums of 2014 so Far

Dierks Bentley, Riser

Total masterpiece in every way. Vocally, melodically, lyrically. Very well rounded. As close to perfect as you'll get.

Top Tracks: "Damn These Dreams", "Here on Earth", "Five", "Bourbon in Kentucky"

Eric Church, The Outsiders

Takes a couple listens to get into, but once you do, you appreciate how good it is. Very weird album, but fantastic nonetheless.

Top Tracks: "Cold One", "Talladega", "Give Me Back My Hometown", "Roller Coaster Ride"

Brantley Gilbert, Just As I Am

Of course two of the worst songs are the first two singles. Ignore "Small Town Throwdown", "Bottoms Up" and "If You Want a Bad Boy" and you have an album that's damn near perfect.

Top Tracks: "One Hell of an Amen", "I'm Gone", "Let it Ride", "My Baby's Guns and Roses" (live versions are low quality)

David Nail, I'm a Fire

Killer vocalist, great showcase for it. Lyrically, very good. Production is a bit much at times but album is still very strong overall.

Top Tracks: "Burnin' Bed", "I'm a Fire", "The Secret", "Brand New Day"

THE 123 WORST MUSICIANS OF ALL TIME

Pretty funny if taken as lighthearted trolling. A few of my favorites:

THE BEATLES

It would make sense to call the Beatles a boy band except, lyrically, they fall pretty far short of the One Directions of the world. Songs like “Hello, Goodbye,” “She Loves You,” and “I Want to Hold Your Hand” could have been written by three-year-olds, while “Hey Jude” sounds like a bunch of dudes smoking pot and jerking each other off while yodeling. It says all you need to about this group that the most famous thing they ever did was walk across a street together.

CREAM / ERIC CLAPTON

White man discover guitar. White man like guitar. Guitar fun. Guitar make good noise. Cocaine!

FLEETWOOD MAC

A band with a career that’s publicly been about cheating on each other, living hard, and doing a bunch of drugs—yet their music always sounds like it’s made for 87-year-olds.

FOO FIGHTERS

Foo Fighters are a band for people who want to listen to “rock music” but only have an FM radio and an IQ of less than 75. They are the musical equivalent of the politician who will say whatever people want to hear to get elected. Foo Fighters are the Mitt Romney of rock music.

GREEN DAY

The worst thing would be if you died and they played that “Time of Your Life” song at your funeral.

BOB MARLEY

One thing about Bob Marley’s music, when it hits you do feel pain. (Because Bob Marley’s music is bad.)

NOTORIOUS B.I.G./TUPAC

Aren’t these two just the same guy?

SMASHING PUMPKINS

Billy Corgan is like the Samson of music. Cut his hair off and he loses his ability to make popular, navel-gazing, whiny 90s alt-rock and starts going off the deep end of insanity. Somewhere in between starting a wrestling foundation, dating Tila Tequila, performing 8-hour synth interpretations of Siddhartha, and looking like what happens when Hellraiser and middle-aged Charlie Brown have a baby, Billy has managed to ruin any shred of dignity the Smashing Pumpkins had by reuniting the band with zero original members and putting out 128-part concept album box sets that even he wouldn’t listen to.

ROD STEWART

Rod Stewart is kind of like if scientists did an experiment in which they crossed the genes of Hulk Hogan, a glass of bad cognac, and your creepy uncle.

U2

The only time U2 sounds good is when they’re being played from a U2-branded iPod plugged into the sound system at a charity event for people who suffer from the rare disease where they can’t take their sunglasses off.

TOM WAITS

Because who needs talent when you sound like you’re gargling broken glass?

My wife was complaining about it always being "my music" in the car, so I made an MP3 disc with a bunch of top-40 stuff from this year. Most of it is complete mediocrity...IMO, worse than stuff from last decade. However, there are a few songs that are becoming guilty pleasures of mine. For instance, that Come Get It Bae song by Pharell is pretty slick - far better than the generic Happy. The Sam Smith stuff is pretty interesting as well.

new Interpol leaked

gave the two ambient albums from Aphex Twin a listen, really didn't get anything from Volume 2, but SAW 85-92 had its moments. nothing i'd listen to regularly, or pretend to find all that interesting. a lot just sounded like slightly updated (but still dated) takes on Eno's style, to my admittedly ambient-virgin ears

Archived