The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT Coyotes 1 Canucks 0

Bob Singh

That was the one of the biggest things that caught my attention early in to Tort's tenure here, when he said he's not a guy that spends a lot of time on X's and O's. This was always a team under AV that had every break out, entry, and neutral zone positioning mapped out.

There a lot of great minds coaching in the West, and you see how well teams set up against what the Canucks like to do along the boards. LA does a great job of having the forward come down low and double team the Canuck forward, cutting off the pass back to the blue line, and then the centre will wait around the face off circle. Once the LA forward and Dman have won the puck, they'll wait for the Canuck D to make that predictable pinch, pass off to the centre who is expecting the pass, he'll make a quick out or skate it out, and now the Kings are coming through the neutral zone with numbers, and because Torts wants all 3 of his forwards down at the goal line, now we're chasing to stop a 2 on 2 or 2 on 1 from becoming a 3 on 2 or 3 on 1.

I've noticed other teams are doing this same thing to us, and no adjustments are being made.

If Kesler wont be traded then I think Tortorella should march into the Canucks dressing room, approach Henrik, unceremoniously rip the C off his jersey, walk over to Kesler and hand it to him.

I know it's brutal but I'm pissed off the same as Kesler is.

I said it from the very beginning and I've stuck by it - Kesler is a much better option as captain.

Of course the team WANTS to get back there. But inspiration isn't enough. And I don't fault the team's effort for most of this season. It's clear this team hasn't got enough skill to get back there. You can't get blood out of a stone.

What Torts does that I don't like is overplaying the top players... the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison. They can't sustain the minutes and the pace for the whole season and will be burnt out by the playoffs. They look burnt out now. The mental fatigue results in a lack of finish, uncharacteristic errors, and possibly injuries. Torts has to show more confidence and give more minutes to his fourth line and third defensive pairing. They need the playing time for their development. And this is crucial to the team's success in the playoffs... if they get there.

Thats exactly whats wrong with the twins.........everyone could see it coming, especially with the abuse they take night in and night out.

New captian cheapest way to shake things up. So much for the shoot first mentality it's back to pass around the perimeter and loose the puck , pp has been a joke all season this game it was the punch line. Garrison has been a huge disappointment doesn't hit soft on the puck terrible on one on ones bad clearing attempts and even worse first pass not to mention he can't hit the net with his slap shot.really to bad he and hamhuis have ntc's

The C will never come off of Hanks sweater as long as he is a Canuck, its all wishful thinking, the Sedins can do no wrong and will lead us to the promised land,,joke.

They are already in the promised land with new 28 million contracts that will cripple this club for years.

Lack was awesome! He deserved to be the 3rd star in the game.

The goal should have counted. It deflected off Hank's body and was not directed in in any way.

Hanzal should have never been allowed to attacked 3 of our players. He should have been called for the first slash on Santo. And he should be suspended for crosschecking Booth to the face/head. But he won't, thus once and for all proving the NHL's bias and inconsistency. If it'd been the other way around, a Canuck would have gotten a major, game misconduct and a 5 game suspension. (And deserved it!) Of course, a Canuck would have been called for the earlier slashes, so it wouldn't have happened. Instead the refs were busy calling Hank for hooking. At least they got their priorities straight. :rolleyes:

Our offense still sucks. :mellow:

Our guys apparently all need a hug. *hug hug* Now suck it up and do your job!

Lack was awesome! He deserved to be the 3rd star in the game.

The goal should have counted. It deflected off Hank's body and was not directed in in any way.

Hanzal should have never been allowed to attacked 3 of our players. He should have been called for the first slash on Santo. And he should be suspended for crosschecking Booth to the face/head. But he won't, thus once and for all proving the NHL's bias and inconsistency. If it'd been the other way around, a Canuck would have gotten a major, game misconduct and a 5 game suspension. (And deserved it!) Of course, a Canuck would have been called for the earlier slashes, so it wouldn't have happened. Instead the refs were busy calling Hank for hooking. At least they got their priorities straight. :rolleyes:

Our offense still sucks. :mellow:

Our guys apparently all need a hug. *hug hug* Now suck it up and do your job!

Some interesting points you make here. One: was it really a slash by Hanzal on Santorelli? Is that really what you saw, a slash? And people like you complain about the reffing? Maybe have one more look at that 'slash'. Second: "And he should be suspended for crosschecking Booth to the face/head. But he won't", it must be nice to know the future. If he gets suspended would you then say that it once and for all disproves your claim of NHL's bias and inconsistency? Will you?

I'm surprised that there isn't more flack on JT, I think he's been doing a mediocre job, at best. There is no discernible system, that I can see and it looks to me like he's given up on the players as much as they've given up on him. Where are the endless gifs and memes about JT like there was for AV. I, for one, am getting sick of this on the bench.

John_Tortorella_New_York_Rangers_Coach.jpg

I agree that there is no discernable system, and it is one of Torts weaknesses. I still think Torts has done a good job, but the last 3 games are what happens when the coach doesn't put much belief into systems and his team struggles.

What should you do when you struggle? Go back to the basics of the system and build from there. When you have no system, what the hell do the players go back to when they are struggling? Nothing, they have nothing to go back onto to simplify their game when they are fighting the puck and they will continue to struggle until they magically find their game again because there is no baseline of how to play to fall back on.

Team sucks

They're just going through a slump, thy will get better. I'm not trying to make excuses, but having guys like Burrows, Schroeder, Stanton and Luongo hurt doesn't make things any easier. The depth on this team is thin when everyone is healthy, they you take away 4 quality guys like that it just amplifies the issues.

Slumps happen. It's an 82 game season.

NO NEED TO PANIC. This is a veteran squad and have lost 3 games by small margin if you ask me. That ducks game wasn't 9-1.

Time for the team to take Vancouver off their chest though... no joke. Change the team to Seattle Not-Canucks so the refs stop hating. (I'm joking relax. But officiating is 100% fixed)

and Hanzal will get away with a two hander to Booth's face? Tell me again how this game's fair and consistent?

Not that it matters in the overall scope of our wins/losses, but it matters to me. Because I don't want to watch that crap. It's goonery and, IMO, far worse than a guy like Tom "taking on" a guy with his fists. At least his opponents stand a chance to fight back. For me, anything that uses a stick as a weapon is far worse and deserves discipline. So tell me again how he walks away from the game without any further review? Cowardly.

There is no chance for a team that can't fight back. None.

I don't even care anymore that we're not scoring, I'm starting to hate this game in general.

Sad thing about it is no one came in to defend booth. The reason players do cheap shot to us is because they can do it and get away with it. It was so pathetic after the kings game I expected at least someone to come in to defend booth they just watched. Crappy team and at least if you suck you still stand up for you're own teammates and they can't even do that. Complete trash.

And yes he should be suspended even tho he got 4 minutes which was useless cause our powerplay is just awful he could of gave booth anther concussion for no reason at all. Just when booth was starting to play really good hockey. No idea why Hanzel put his stick up like that.

Archived