The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Failure to win gold would be a disaster" - Don Cherry

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/11/failure-to-win-gold-would-be-disaster-don-cherry

SOCHI, RUSSIA - The truth on Don Cherry at the Winter Olympics: He didn’t want to be here. He didn’t want to spend his 80th birthday travelling half-way across the world.

“I’d rather be home,” said the bombastic star of Coach’s Corner. “But there’s nothing I could do about it. I’ve never been to Russia. I had no interest in going.

“But I had no choice. They wouldn’t let me (skip). They sold extra (ads) for me. Anheuser-Busch has paid for nine of my appearances. I was in a tough spot on this one. I couldn’t stay home.”

Another surprising truth about Cherry: He’s loving his first trip here and he didn’t think that would be possible.

Entire article at the link, please read it before jumping to assumptions based solely on the title. Don admits that his idea of how Russia was is completely wrong and he's enjoying his time there, doing little more than drinking Budweiser.

Win it for Grapes!

I think Torino and Nagano were disasters because Canada failed to get in the medal round and that is a disaster.

But as much as I want them to win, the parity in hockey is so close and in a short do or die tournament, you can't expect Canada to win every time (medal yes, but not necessarily Gold).

In a 4 of 7 playoff, Canada would win 9 time out of 10, I believe.

But it wouldn't be a disaster...The Russians and Sweds are favs and IMO have just as good a chance as Canada

Canada is one of the favs. Russia only has 2 scary lines and Sweden is missing Henrik and franzen. canada has the best forwards, defenders and 2nd best goalies. Only USA has better.

I think Don Cherry is the most embarrassing image in sports but I agree. Canada has the best crop to choose from ever season. They are the Yankees of the Olympics. The only reason I even pay attention to the Winter Olympics in the slightest manner is for the lulz if Canada loses.

At least as far as us none Canadian teams go its embarrassing when you guys loose.

But it wouldn't be a disaster...The Russians and Sweds are favs and IMO have just as good a chance as Canada

Are you serious? Canada is by far the favorite in this tournament. I will be surprised if its not Canada gold and United States Silver again and then any list of teams could be bronze. The Russians are far from favorites.

it'd only devastating because we claim Hockey to be Canada's sport

It'd be like the USA's basketball team losing

But meh, Honestly even if we are favorites, it's a toss up between CAN/USA/RUS/SWE and even Finland although not this year without Koivu/Fillpula

I love Don Cherry. He's like your alcoholic uncle who always says something embaressing at family functions but it's OK because that's just the way he is, plus he can tell a great story.

yeah but what he says is embarrassing because its some ugly truth no one in the family wants to talk about and would rather sweep it under the rug...and don aint afraid to air it out.

yeah but what he says is embarrassing because its some ugly truth no one in the family wants to talk about and would rather sweep it under the rug...and don aint afraid to air it out.

Exactly....there's something that the younger generation(under 30) can't handle...it's called the truth. Don may be hated but at least it's for being himself, instead of being liked for someone he's not. :)

Archived