The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Honestly I could see Buffalo taking Draistl

I read an article (don't know how credible) that said they thought he was the best out of the top 5.

If the order remains Buffalo or Florida first

Buf Draistl

Flo Ekblad

Edm Sam

NYI Dal Colle

Calgary Ritchie

Van Sam

I actually really think this is possible for some odd reason.

Either Bennet or Reinhart making their way to the Canucks.

Either that or EDM trades their pick to us for so they can take Fleury with the 6th.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/04/13/buffalo-sabres-gm-tim-murray-not-sure-if-aaron-ekblad-is-a-franchise-player/

CALL ME CRAZY!

CANUCKS ARE PICKING REINHART OR BENNETT at 6!!!!!

Your name.... Seriously though, I'll bite. They obviously won't take Draitsal 1st overall, but maybe he really is the guy they want. They could get him at 3 or 4. They wait until the lottery is over and if NYI gives them that 4th pick, they can get him with that!

Or like the rumour which came out before said that they would relinquish their 1st pick for two high end prospects. Maybe they let it go for Yakupov and Edmonton's 1st. Edmonton needs Aaron Ekblad BADLY!!! They would probably even pay more! That would probably do the Sabres better than the 1st overall pick. They could leave with Draitsal, Yak, and probably another great prospect.

Well to begin with Burakovsky went 23rd. Yeah his numbers are probably better than Forsberg's were. But both Forsberg and Burakovsky were over 6'1". How many of Nylander's goals were shootout goals? I know his only goal in the SHL was a shootout goal. We could add at least 4 goals to all the CHL prospects to even things up. 6th is far too high for Nylander. Maybe if we had the 10th pick we could roll the dice.

Perhaps you did not see my post from earlier:

From 2013 Draft to 1993 Draft (20 drafts) only 2 European skaters under 6 feet have went in the top 12:

Mikael Granlund (9th, 2010) from the Finnish League --- NHL Totals: Games:90 Goals:10 Assists:39 Points: 49 (Still very young)

Stanislav Chistov (5th, 2001) from the Russian League --- NHL Totals: Games:196 Goals:19 Assists:42 Points: 61

20 years x 12 top picks = 240 only two of which have been European skaters under 6 feet. Also none of them have come from the Swedish League.

Burakovsky has been great this year in the OHL. He has 8 goals in 9 playoff games right now. That's more than anyone else in the OHL. Lol do you think players are given shoout-out attempts regularly in league? What are you talking about? ofc not. Plenty of scout rankings have Nylander in the top5, some slightly outside the top5 but most of them have him in the top10.

Unfortunately i saw your post, which i thought was stupid. You can't look at things historically, because it really doesn't say anything. Also, Nylander is 5'11, 170lbs at the age of 17. He will probably be at least 6'0. You will find players like Giroux, Crosby, Kane under 6'0.

I never said we should take Nylander with the 6th pick. But it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

I would like to know, from the people who argue against Virtenan because of his low IQ, how many would trade Kassian for Hodgson today? Kassian is criticized for having a low IQ whereas Hodgson is admired for having a very high one. I think Kassian is doing fine with his hockey instincts. He is looking to be on the road of being that rare commodity that every team covets and so vital in the playoffs.

Give me the prospect with the greater passion, drive and grit over a more skilled and faster one anyday. Just take a look at the team we played last night and their heart and soul guy who played his last game. My problem is, I am not sure which of the top prospects we will be picking from, has the most heart.

I would like to know, from the people who argue against Virtenan because of his low IQ, how many would trade Kassian for Hodgson today? Kassian is criticized for having a low IQ whereas Hodgson is admired for having a very high one. I think Kassian is doing fine with his hockey instincts. He is looking to be on the road of being that rare commodity that every team covets and so vital in the playoffs.

Give me the prospect with the greater passion, drive and grit over a more skilled and faster one anyday. Just take a look at the team we played last night and their heart and soul guy who played his last game. My problem is, I am not sure which of the top prospects we will be picking from, has the most heart.

The NHL combine will be interesting for sure with all the interviews and physical results.

And the people who make those criticisms are completely wrong IMO.

Kassian is a great passer/playmaker, he can create offense in the zone off the cycle, the criticisms on Virtanen is he struggles to do that, and just creates his offense off the rush and by bulling through players like he probably won't be able to do in the NHL. (for the most part)

I see Booth as a much better comparison for Virtanen than Kassian.

And if your talking about passion and drive, those things to me favour Kapanen & Ehlers over Virtanen as questions have been raised about Virtanen's character and both Kapanen & Ehlers have outstanding drive.

The NHL combine will be interesting for sure with all the interviews and physical results.

Yes that would be helpful. I would like to know how teams try to gauge/project a 17/18 year old's character and heart in the future. I would think the good scouts and talent evaluators have a feel for this. You look at all the busts and all the steals in all the past drafts and it seems to all hinge on the players character and heart.

Yes that would be helpful. I would like to know how teams try to gauge/project a 17/18 year old's character and heart in the future. I would think the good scouts and talent evaluators have a feel for this. You look at all the busts and all the steals in all the past drafts and it seems to all hinge on the players character and heart.

I agree heart is a huge factor. Thats why if they think Virtanen has enough "heart" he could be our pick. His raw skill is top of the line.

And the people who make those criticisms are completely wrong IMO.

Kassian is a great passer/playmaker, he can create offense in the zone off the cycle, the criticisms on Virtanen is he struggles to do that, and just creates his offense off the rush and by bulling through players like he probably won't be able to do in the NHL. (for the most part)

I see Booth as a much better comparison for Virtanen than Kassian.

And if your talking about passion and drive, those things to me favour Kapanen & Ehlers over Virtanen as questions have been raised about Virtanen's character and both Kapanen & Ehlers have outstanding drive.

I will defer to you concerning Virtenan and any other draft prospects since it is hard scouting on Youtube. I only brought up the comparison with Kassian since he is criticised for a low IQ like Virtenan has been.

My only wish is the Canucks draft a kid with a lot of heart, the rest can be taught or developed. You can't teach or develop heart/passion for hockey. You either have it or you don't. How many players have been passed over in the past because they were too slow, not very skilled or small and turned out to be great leaders and stars. The reason they made the wrong choice is because they neglected or underestimated the kids heart.

Burakovsky has been great this year in the OHL. He has 8 goals in 9 playoff games right now. That's more than anyone else in the OHL. Lol do you think players are given shoout-out attempts regularly in league? What are you talking about? ofc not. Plenty of scout rankings have Nylander in the top5, some slightly outside the top5 but most of them have him in the top10.

Unfortunately i saw your post, which i thought was stupid. You can't look at things historically, because it really doesn't say anything. Also, Nylander is 5'11, 170lbs at the age of 17. He will probably be at least 6'0. You will find players like Giroux, Crosby, Kane under 6'0.

I never said we should take Nylander with the 6th pick. But it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

I was talking about guys who play in Europe. As the record clearly shows teams are very reluctant to draft undersized European skaters in the top 12. There is no arguing with the data. It is what it is. I guess your claim is that Nylander is the best European prospect under 6 feet in the past 20 year?

I agree heart is a huge factor. Thats why if they think Virtanen has enough "heart" he could be our pick. His raw skill is top of the line.

Yes. The Canucks will draft whoever they draft and I will be thrilled and excited for our future. With such a high pick and a decent crop I am sure they will pick a kid with a lot of heart and have themselves a future NHL player. I am confident the Canucks will pick the right player. A testament to this is that their recent picks are killing it in the playoffs which means these prospects must have a lot of passion for the game.

It would be an added bonus if Virtenan was the kid they picked because I am partial to WHL players with size and grit.

I was talking about guys who play in Europe. As the record clearly shows teams are very reluctant to draft undersized European skaters in the top 12. There is no arguing with the data. It is what it is. I guess your claim is that Nylander is the best European prospect under 6 feet in the past 20 year?

If that's the case, then show me projected top5/top10 picks from europe that ended up being selected outside the top10. If not, then your historical crap means nothing. I think it's ignorant to only look at european players under 6'0 and not just players overall under 6'0 (canadians/americans). Please tell me, what's the difference? Seems like you just want something to argue about. This is FC's scouting report on Nylander for an example: Nylander is an extremely skilled, dynamic player who has quick hands and feet that make him dangerous offensively. He has great top-end speed, a strong burst and elite vision. He can distribute the puck like few other his age. An intelligent player, he out-thinks opponents regularly.

If that's the case, then show me projected top5/top10 picks from europe that ended up being selected outside the top10. If not, then your historical crap means nothing. I think it's ignorant to only look at european players under 6'0 and not just players overall under 6'0 (canadians/americans). Please tell me, what's the difference? Seems like you just want something to argue about. This is FC's scouting report on Nylander for an example: Nylander is an extremely skilled, dynamic player who has quick hands and feet that make him dangerous offensively. He has great top-end speed, a strong burst and elite vision. He can distribute the puck like few other his age. An intelligent player, he out-thinks opponents regularly.

That doesn't make sense.

It doesn't really matter why teams choose not draft European skaters under 6' they just don't as the record clearly shows. I could guess that the reasons could be 1. different style of play 2. generally less games played 3. not scouted as thoroughly 4. concerns they might not come over to North America etc. But the point isn't really WHY NHL teams choose not to draft these types of players (I am sure they all have differing reasons) the fact is that they do not.

Players that scored around 100 points in the Q in their draft year:

2011 - Jonathan Huberdeau (105 points in 67 games) taken 3rd

- Sean Couturier (96 points in 58 games) taken 8th

2013 - Jonathan Drouin (105 points in 49 games) taken 3rd

2014 - Nikolaj Ehlers (104 points in 63 games)

I know there are things to look at other than numbers but I think Ehlers is a pretty solid at 6th, especially considering the other players likely to be available. However, body type will probably end up being the deciding factor for the Canucks as they already have Shinkaruk with an ectomorph body.

edit: With so many players to choose from, it's going to be fun seeing the results of the combine this year.

Barring a miracle, we've got the 6th overall pick right? A top-5 would have been amazing but we can at least hope one of the top-5 kids (Bennett, Reinhart, Ekblad, Draisaitl, Dal Colle) drops a spot. Nice to go out with a solid win and still secure a pick as high as #6.

Archived