The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Price gets the start in the QF

AngNMGN99

Guys, it's not like Lu blatantly outplayed Price...

Lu got a shut out against Austria, and wasn't really tested.

Price has only allowed 2 goals on 35 shots, but was a big part in getting the win against Finland. If he had faltered somehow against Finland, then maybe Lu would have been given a shot. But he didn't.

If Price was Babcock's choice going in, nothing has happened so far that would make him change his mind.

Seriously though- how has Price played better than Luongo? I could understand if Luongo looked shaky against Austri, but Luongo got a shutout! I don't get why they would switch goalies after that, especially since Price has let in two bad goals and Luongo hasn't let in a single goal all tournament. Luongo never gets any respect in the league and I'm sure we all agree that we're tired of it!

Seriously though- how has Price played better than Luongo? I could understand if Luongo looked shaky against Austri, but Luongo got a shutout! I don't get why they would switch goalies after that, especially since Price has let in two bad goals and Luongo hasn't let in a single goal all tournament. Luongo never gets any respect in the league and I'm sure we all agree that we're tired of it!

2 bad goals? the first was a little suspect, the result of poor communication, but the second was a deflection he had no chance on.Price came into the Olympics playing red hot (First star of the NHL in the last week of play) Luongo came in struggling. (.880 save percentage in his last 5 games with a habit of giving up the late goals). Price was the clear choice

What I said in another thread:

I think if you have two goalies that have both shown they give you a chance to win and neither has outshone the other that you go with the one that has the most international and playoff experience.

It looks like Price was never coming out of that net and they wasted Lu's time. He could have been resting in Vancouver during the break.

And lets keep the homer insults at bay in this thread. For every homer there is a poster that goes so rabid in the other direction. Neither is as objective as they think.

Seriously, I would be peeing my pants with Lou McSoftee in net.

We all know the only reason he is still in Van is because of GMMG's blunder.

You had a good run Lou, maybe voluntary retirment should be your next move.

Better goalie than Schneider and at 33 would be the starter on 25 teams

Price came into the Olympics playing red hot (First star of the NHL in the last week of play) Luongo came in struggling. (.880 save percentage in his last 5 games with a habit of giving up the late goals). Price was the clear choice

If you are going to cherry pick stats then please list Price's international experience next to Luongo's and then playoff wins.

Of course he does.

It's called life, and to be honest the goalie choice doesn't matter. There couldn't be more of a 50/50 call out there. Either call is completely acceptable. To call someone down because they chose Price over Luongo shows compete lack of objective thinking.

Seriously, I would be peeing my pants with Lou McSoftee in net.

We all know the only reason he is still in Van is because of GMMG's blunder.

You had a good run Lou, maybe voluntary retirment should be your next move.

I was firmly in the keep Schneids camp but was fine with the trade and never thought Lu was a bad goalie (he isn't) I felt they were pretty equal and wanted the younger guy.

There was no blunder by Gillis. The rules changed in the NHL making Lu's contract tough to move. Before that it was pretty good.

What I said in another thread:

It looks like Price was never coming out of that net and they wasted Lu's time. He could have been resting in Vancouver during the break.

And lets keep the homer insults at bay in this thread. For every homer there is a poster that goes so rabid in the other direction. Neither is as objective as they think.

it's not a waste of time. Anyone of them wanted to be on the team. Ask hamhuis or Lui afterwards if it's a waste of time. Those who complain, don't belong on the team.

If you are going to cherry pick stats then please list Price's international experience next to Luongo's and then playoff wins.

I think how he's playing right now is far more important. Price's game has really rounded out this season since the Canadiens hired Stephan Waite to be his goalie coach. The last Olympics is meaningless. It was 4 years ago. Iginla set up the golden goal, I guess he should be here to generate offence since he has the experience huh

I think how he's playing right now is far more important. Price's game has really rounded out this season since the Canadiens hired Stephan Waite to be his goalie coach. The last Olympics is meaningless. It was 4 years ago. Iginla set up the golden goal, I guess he should be here to generate offence since he has the experience huh

If Iginla was still Lu's age then he absolutely would and should be there.

Is this some type of sick joke... I mean Price is great but in an elimination/playoff game I'd rather have the proven veteran

Nothing against Price. Just find it unfair for Luo since he has done this before and has proven more. he should be the #1 and imo outplayed Price to keep it.

Luongo isn't the only Canadian goalie on the team who has won gold for Canada you know.

Meh, don't like it one bit but it is what it is. Puts ALL the pressure on Price and Lu gets to enjoy being part of the team despite it all. Lu loves to play/be a starter but has plenty of experience in this situation...doubt anything fazes him much anymore.

Wishing Price all the luck in this...his time to shine and I really hope he does. And the flipside for us is, if he doesn't, we'll see Lu work his magic.

Hated it at first but nothing changes despite it all so will roll with it. Support the team 100% regardless of who's out there...that Maple Leaf on the jersey is what's important and there is no Lu or Price in team.

Some people almost do take a "they like him more than me" approach with this...it isn't personal or like that. Tough decisions have to be made and, for whatever reason, this one was. We don't know everything behind the scenes that leads to choices that are made and so have to trust in those put in place to make them. If there is success/failure, it falls back to them (to some degree, as you'd never know the outcome if the roles were reversed). So the people appointed to make the line ups own it to some degree...I'm sure, with that, they do what they feel is right at the time....

Archived