The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Santorelli's Next Contract

Easton76

Who is Santorelli?

He is the $550,000 man that saved the Canucks.Paying him disrespect does not pay respect to his contributions as a Canuck.

So sad is the Canucks depth that when he went down so did the Canucks season.

@nuck nit: Fair enough mate, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying Gillis had signed him as a free agent.

No worries. I know what you were saying.

In the Luongo deal ,Luo was signed by the Panthers to an arrangement whereby the Canucks continue to be responsible for a portion of his salary (15%/$800k per year) for duration of contract.

Separate contracts would be signed with the Panthers and Canucks in this player transfer.

He is the $550,000 man that saved the Canucks.Paying him disrespect does not pay respect to his contributions as a Canuck.

So sad is the Canucks depth that when he went down so did the Canucks season.

When?

Played one full season in his career; 2010-11. You look at the injury history; almost none. You look at the recalls list; plenty.

He's a fringe player. He's not "saving" anything, especially sidelined.

Santorelli is still 6th in team scoring with 28 points after being injured for 3 months now.

And clearly was the catalyst for us to lose.

He better be paid 2 million before David Booth gets another cent from fans.

^^ To be fair to Santorelli, he was a huge part of that 10-2-1 run we went on in December.

Unfortunate indeed and I do agree with your statement. However, since entering the new format this year and having to play the BIG teams of the old Pacific Division, I would tend to say that a player like Matthias has a much better chance of succeeding than a player like Santorelli.

Frankly, I do wonder if he fits on the grand plan of the upcoming retool/ youth movement, especially considering any or all of H. Sedin, Kesler, Matthias and Horvat are part of the fold.

Buyout Booth and add the cap savings to a deal for Santorelli.

He has proven that he is a good third line center at the least.

Outside of the Sedins he is probably the best play maker on the team unless Horvat makes the team as expected next year as the third line center.

2 year deal for 1.75 mil.

Next year's forwards potentially...

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Matthias-Santorelli

Jensen-Horvat-Kassian

Sestito-Richardson-Hansen

Dalpe/Lain/Archibald

I see people saying Santorelli isn't a top 6 forward or a 2nd line tweener at best, but I recall him having the exact same point total as Kesler, playing in a less offensive roll.

Higgins and Santo seem to have better chemistry than Higgins and Kesler. Have Santo anchor the second line with Higgins. Then we could sign a guy like Moulson or Vrbata to play the right side. That could look like a decent second line, two shooters and a playermaker.

You guys are harsh low balling him. The cap is going up to a rumoured 70m, divide that by 22 players and your average roster player should be making 3.2m. Santorelli is well above avg, and is about to go to UFA in a pretty weak year.

He'll be sought after outside of Vancouver, so make him happy 3 years at 3m. Keep in mind players like Booth are making 4.2 and are highly disappointing. 3 - 3.5 for Santorelli is a bargain.

LOL and that takes the cake folks.

No way he get anything north of 2.0M per. I'm thinking 1 year 1.5M works for both parties.

Santo is a no brainer re-sign.

Obvious what he brought here, but the stats do reflect it as well.

Aside from the points:

22 takeaways, 7 giveaways +15

Only 43.2% offensive zone starts agains strong competition - and extremely productive in that context.

44 blocked shots in 49 games.

51.3% in the faceoff circle - again, facing quality competition.

Great energy on the forecheck.

Strong on the puck and a very good cycler, particularly for his size.

Very good playmaker who also goes to the net/hard areas and isn't above scoring ugly.

Terrific work ethic, conditioning, and upbeat/charismatic presence.

Really want to see him back regardless of the depth or where people may envision him in the lineup. He's exceptionally versatile.

That said, I think his injury will get in the way of him getting the contract he may have been on course to command - there still may remain an element of "could he have sustained that?" or "will he return to that form?" I don't doubt he will, and I'm not for lowballing him, but at the same time I could see him signing a 'bridge' deal that recognizes both what he brought, and the team that wanted him.

Well said. I wish we had more players with his work ethic/attitude. I'd prob go up to $2.0M per on a 2 year deal. That's almost 4 times what he made this year. Sure he could probably fetch a few hundred K more on the open market but you know he wants to be in Vancouver. This should be an easy signing.

Everyone is speculating about Kesler potentially moving on.

Who do you 'replace' him with? I'd be happy to see a guy like Stastny signed if at all possible, or a player like Dubinsky back in a package if Columbus is a possibility. Couturier+ if Philly is serious. Sobotka as part of a St Louis deal. Kesler is obviously a quality center, but not the only two way center out there, and if an additional asset or two comes as part of a retool deal, it's pretty hard not to at least consider the options seriously.

If we traded Kesler for a monster package and then signed Stastny at around Kesler`s salary I`d be STOKED! I never really thought of signing him before but it makes all the sense in the world if we`re trading Kesler.

Should be an interesting summer!

^Agree. 2 to 2.5.

I really hope we keep him. I'd like to see him at 3W, and push hansen down the line up.

I'd rather give him more $, than term. (and NTC clause) lol. Half a season versus, a career of mostly mediocre numbers...I don't think anyone's giving him Clarkson money.

something like...

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Higgins Kesler (or trade return) Kassian

Burrows Horvat Santorelli

Booth Matthias Hansen

I meant 2 million TOTAL....so 1 million per year.

Plus if we sign him to just one year and he gets the expected 40-50 point production he has shown being capable of...expect he would want 2.5+.

I don't think anyone expects Santorelli to put up 40-50 points. He had a great first 30 games here but he faded hard before he was injured. 2-0-2 and -5 in his last ten games. Historically he has completed one season and other than that his career high in games played is 60. It's dangerous to give contracts out on expectations that are unlikely. Especially when a player is going to be 29 next year.

And nothing against Santorelli. He played great for a while and was a bargain signing for sure. It was a major victory for Gillis.

I don't think anyone expects Santorelli to put up 40-50 points. He had a great first 30 games here but he faded hard before he was injured. 2-0-2 and -5 in his last ten games. Historically he has completed one season and other than that his career high in games played is 60. It's dangerous to give contracts out on expectations that are unlikely. Especially when a player is going to be 29 next year.

And nothing against Santorelli. He played great for a while and was a bargain signing for sure. It was a major victory for Gillis.

These are all valid points. He has surprised many.I hope he can light it up again. I highly doubts he signs anything big and we get to see more of his effort for a descent price.

Unfortunate indeed and I do agree with your statement. However, since entering the new format this year and having to play the BIG teams of the old Pacific Division, I would tend to say that a player like Matthias has a much better chance of succeeding than a player like Santorelli.

Frankly, I do wonder if he fits on the grand plan of the upcoming retool/ youth movement, especially considering any or all of H. Sedin, Kesler, Matthias and Horvat are part of the fold.

Just because he's smaller stature compared to Matthias doesn't really give him a disadvantage..

Well said. I wish we had more players with his work ethic/attitude. I'd prob go up to $2.0M per on a 2 year deal. That's almost 4 times what he made this year. Sure he could probably fetch a few hundred K more on the open market but you know he wants to be in Vancouver. This should be an easy signing.

The guy doesn't get enough appreciation..

Archived