The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greatest Canuck goaltender of all-time?

jagori78

I think people never realized how good a goalie lu was because he played a really flashy style before his groin injury and after he played a more positional style so even though he made the saves they weren't as flashy as they used to be.

But in the end he still made the saves and got us to within one win of the cup. He was a star in that San Jose series in 2011 we wouldn't have won game 5 had he not made those amazing saves in OT.

He is clearly the best goalie we ever had.

Au contraire contraire. Gary ( Suitcase ) Smith. brilliant but a wild man and if he hadn't have made that massive faux pas with Mr Griffith he maybe would have had his jersey retired in Vcr.

When introduced to Mrs Griffith he was told "this is Mrs Griffith of the Ballards dog food family" to which Garry replied I know her face is on every can. He left shortly after. He was a wild man off the ice

I think 'dark days' when applied to Dan Cloutier is grossly inaccurate.

Canucks never missed the playoffs while Cloutier was active.

His three consecutive 30+ win seasons was a record at the time.

He wasn't a topflight goaltender like Luongo, but he was easily the most consistent goaltender the Canucks had in a decade.

I guess people like to tease Dan Cloutier because of his epic playoff meltdowns, but Roberto has his fair share of those as well, I would say Lou's playoff meltdowns were even more epic.

Regular season, Luongo

Playoffs, McLean by a mile.

Been watching since the early 80's. It's hard to compare goalies because of their era's, equipment size, styles etc. For what it's worth, Luongo's pads and equipment are almost double McLeans size. I'd hope Luongo's stats would be better!!!

Also I agree with the Luongo was way better before he blew his groin out. 100% true. His side to side transition isn't the same since.

Luongo then McLean. Say what you want about Luongo but if not for him the Canucks would have lost to the Hawks in the 1st round of the 2011 run (huge save on Sharp on the PP in OT - talk about coming up with a big save when you need it). And the Bruins would have swept the Canucks in the finals had Luongo not held the fort down. Sure he had some blowout losses but that does not diminish the clutch shutouts and standing on his head against the Bruins at times.

It is so easy to hate on him. But in reality he was something special in most of his time here. The team in front of him and the mistakes of the coaching staff do not get nearly enough heat for those meltdown losses in the playoffs imo.

McLean was a great goalie too and very clutch at times. But he had his stinker moments too like all goalies do. Time has just erased those memories a lot more than they have for Luongo.

That's true, unfortunatley with the complete idiocy of how MG dealt with that situation combined with the meltdown it makes me sick to even talk Luongo sometimes.

Archived