TheRussianRocket.

@TysonGiuriato:

#Canucks prospect Cole Cassels invited to USA World Junior Evaluation Camp

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/2014njecroster

Cole Cassels

Columbus, Ohio

Oshawa Generals (OHL)

VAN ('13, 3rd rd., 85th overall)

Man did Gillis and co make up for their poor drafts this last draft; hit a bunch of gems and they are already beginning to show! I think Cole makes it. Not much competition at centre when you see his stats and he'll likely be 2nd or 3rd line centre. Good day for the Canucks future :)

I really need to learn more about him .

is this kid the real deal ?

Well let this be put out there for a bit of perspective.

Oshawa Generals leading point scorers this past season:

1.) Michael Dal Colle with 95 points in 67 games.

- Dal Colle is a likely top 5 pick in this years NHL draft

2.) Scott Laughton with 87 points in 54 games.

- 1st round pick by the Flyers in 2012 and currently Philly's best prospect not in the nhl. Made WJ's Team Canada.

3.) Cole Cassels with 73 points in 61 games.

- 3rd round pick by the Nucks. Invited to USA WJ's camp and will likely be 2nd line centre.

...looking at the company he's with there, I think it's safe to assume we have a solid player in the making.

A thing people tend to forget: In that Booth deal, we got Florida's 3rd round pick. It was with that pick we drafted Cole. Not too shabby if you ask me and a bit of a bright spot considering how Booth turned out for us.

So we might end up actually benefiting from the Booth trade!? LOL I'll take it...

Cole Cassels is the real deal, as far as can be told for a player at his age.

He ended up with 73 points, and had 27 points in his first 18 games. Before he started dealing with a lower-body injury, he was leading his team in scoring, over Laughton and Dal Colle! The injury was of the nagging variety, but he healed up by the end of the season when he went on another streak. That carried into the playoffs where he posted 17 points in just 12 games, only 3 behind team-leader Dal Colle.

He was drafted at that slot for his excellent defence, and that certainly hasn't gone away, but he has started to show some his dad's playmaking abilities. He has above average hands (though nothing spectacular), and high-end vision.

At 6'1/180 size isn't a huge concern, especially since many prospects don't really bulk up for another few seasons.

Some of his production came from Laughton and Dal Colle, but the converse is true as well. While he won't be a first-liner, he certainly has more potential than the third-line role most people thought he would fill.

So we might end up actually benefiting from the Booth trade!? LOL I'll take it...

Miracles do happen, it's amazing isn't it :lol:

Cassels - Gaunce - ???. Future third line almost complete

Fox would be a good fit in there. Plays on the same team as Gaunce so probably a bit of chemistry there. And that'd be a huge 3rd line to play against with all sorts of skill.

Miracles do happen, it's amazing isn't it :lol:

Fox would be a good fit in there. Plays on the same team as Gaunce so probably a bit of chemistry there. And that'd be a huge 3rd line to play against with all sorts of skill.

I was about to post the same thing. Although Cassels is a right-shot and Fox is a left winger so I'd switch those two wings.

Those 3 are considered good/great defensively, can potentially provide offense, the centre is a big body, and the two wingers are effective agitators. That is a tasty, tasty 3rd line.

- 1st round pick by the Flyers in 2012 and currently Philly's best prospect not in the nhl. Made WJ's Team Canada.

- 3rd round pick by the Nucks. Invited to USA WJ's camp and will likely be 2nd line centre.

...looking at the company he's with there, I think it's safe to assume we have a solid player in the making.

Not bad. PPG averages of 1.41 (Dal Colle), 1.61 (Laughton), and 1.20 (Cassels). I'm sure Laughton has the 1C position and sees more ice time, and he's also a year older. Since presumably Cassels and Laughton/Dal Colle are on separate lines, I think it's fair to say he's not overly benefitting from their production.

I think it's worth pointing out that the US WJ team's invited players include lots of players from later rounds, and only 1 first-rounder and 6 second-rounders. So he's definitely among good company with players from later rounds.

Hopefully this pans out! I was just thinking about how the strong teams appear are rarely just stacked along the top with top draft picks; you also need those 2nd and 3rd rounders who have been carefully developed into players that scouts never thought they could be. You need your Sharps as well as your Kanes.

lol... Cole Cassel's potential aside. OHL stats after your draft year usually means jack. Our own Sestito was a ppg player in OHL after his draft year. How good is he now?

A thing people tend to forget: In that Booth deal, we got Florida's 3rd round pick. It was with that pick we drafted Cole. Not too shabby if you ask me and a bit of a bright spot considering how Booth turned out for us.

I checked Wikipedia (most reliable source) and apparently, we got our own pick back. That 3rd was given to Florida in the Higgins deal. A pretty one sided deal.

85 Cole Cassels © 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Vancouver Canucks (from Vancouver via Florida)14Oshawa Generals (OHL)

Archived