The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko: Cory Schenider 2.0?

Canucks35

Lack and Markstrom should give us a good 5-6 years of hockey if not more.

Hamhuis, Bieksa and Garrison only really have maybe 3 or 4 years of 20 minute hockey in the tank.

The Sedins have maybe 1 or 2 years left of 1st line hockey left.

Our needs are 1st liners (especially center) > top 4 defencemen > goaltenders.

Hold on a minute canuks35...don't go throwing Canatta and Eriksson under the bus until you actually see them play. The Canucks, despite your opinion, have 2 really good goaltenders down here in Utica. Sometimes we just need to STOP looking at a stat sheet before jumping to conclusions. Eriksson, despite a dismal team start, finished his 1st season in Utica very strong. He led the Comets in one of the best turnaround stories I've seen in hockey in a very long time. He led this struggling team to within 2 wins of a playoff berth. He also has a few shutouts under his belt and AHL player of the week accolades.

Canatta, who didn't get as many starts, had his own story to tell. Some of his wins actually came in RELIEF of Eriksson. Canatta held the fort when coming into the game in relief of Eriksson. His stellar play turned a few losses into wins for the Comets. Canatta was a GREAT backup who could be a starter for many AHL teams, if given the chance.

Eriksson is ready for Vancouver when needed and Canatta could have been capable if given more exposure this past season.

This years camp will be very interesting. Lack maybe a starter, but he will have some very stiff competition behind him. Markstrom is NOT guaranteed the backup position because Eriksson has something to prove.

Okay I read this over twice and clearly you don't understand what I am trying to say... I said these 4 goalies are all the similar age therefore only 2 of 4 will be able to play long term in Vancouver.. because the other two will start aging and asked to be moved or not resign for a chance to play in the NHL. Therefore it would be nice to have a younger goalie around 19 years old now so that when whoever the two goalies are now are ready to be replaced when they are unable to play anymore (late 30's to 40 years old perhaps).

At no point did I criticize the two Utica goalies or mention their stats... just said they'll never fit fit as long as Lack and Markstrom are here.

Canucks35...Forgive me but, by saying "they will never fit as long as Lack Markstrom are here" sounds like criticism to me.. :). You seem to think Markstrom is a lock for backup...I think Eriksson AND Canatta will have something to say about that once camp opens....Again, don't throw them under the bus yet, ALL goaltenders have something to prove and Markstrom better look over his shoulder.

Utica fans have a lot of pride in these 2 AHL goalies and it's hard for us to hear when folks don't have any faith in them. I like what I've seen from both of them.

Canucks35...Forgive me but, by saying "they will never fit as long as Lack Markstrom are here" sounds like criticism to me.. :). You seem to think Markstrom is a lock for backup...I think Eriksson AND Canatta will have something to say about that once camp opens....Again, don't throw them under the bus yet, ALL goaltenders have something to prove and Markstrom better look over his shoulder.

Utica fans have a lot of pride in these 2 AHL goalies and it's hard for us to hear when folks don't have any faith in them. I like what I've seen from both of them.

Sorry what I should've said was I don't believe they'll be the "heir to the throne" kind of thing meaning that as long as the two goalies in Vancouver are here they'll either replace them now, in the upcoming 2 or 3 years, or never (especially if a veteran G is signed this year) . But no way will they replace them 5-6 years from now I mean can you imagine a 30 year old Cannata or Eriksson ( or eve the other way around Lack or Marky) wanting to still play in AHL if they do so, whereas they could just go somewhere else and be atleast back-ups if not even starters in the NHL? However if we draft a goalie now or even in the upcoming years, that's a stud (hopefully), he'll be in his 20's and still developing while the two goalies here in Van are aging and about to replaced whether that's Cannata ,Eriksson, Lack, or Markstrom time will tell.

In 2-3 years it might make sense to look at a goalteander with a high pick but definitely not now. We have 3 potential young starters in the system plus Canata, who might prove to be as well. Let that situation shake out and meanwhile, let's get some scoring.

Perhaps it would...

So we already have Cannata, and you want us to draft a guy who has been compared to Cannata?

Brilliant.gif

Yes but only if Cannata was around 19 genius it would make sense. He can only replace the current goalies now or in 2-3 years since their all the similar age. If he's still in the AHL any longer it's either because he sucks or he isn't been given the opportunity... and I don't think he's bad so it'll probably be the opportunity not being given. That's when we decides that he needs to move on and goes into free agency or asks to be traded. However I'm sure Demko or any other goalie drafted later won't mind sticking around for longer since he's younger and still developing eh? Think before you post... But don't worry you're not alone.

"Drew comparisons to Joe Cannata"

We have Joe.

I'm fine with that lol.

LOL I never said we were going to draft him. I even stated there's a better chance we'll pick a player instead... all I was really asking was when do you guys think he'll be drafted. And IF you think Canucks should draft him? Appreciate the post though.

Guest Dasein

LOL I never said we were going to draft him. I even stated there's a better chance we'll pick a player instead... all I was really asking was when do you guys think he'll be drafted. And IF you think Canucks should draft him? Appreciate the post though.

Sorry dude wasn't directed at you...didn't think you'd take it personally. I was literally just saying I'm fine with having Cannata.

Demko probably goes 2nd-3rd round if that's what you were asking. I don't see a picking late in the 1st round needing a goaltender, or a team needing a goaltender move up into that position just to draft Demko.

Sorry dude wasn't directed at you...didn't think you'd take it personally. I was literally just saying I'm fine with having Cannata.

Demko probably goes 2nd-3rd round if that's what you were asking. I don't see a picking late in the 1st round needing a goaltender, or a team needing a goaltender move up into that position just to draft Demko.

It's all good man, thanks again for the response! Also I do think he'll go sometime in the 2nd round too. However I saw a mock draft with Chicago taking him in the first at 27th, though I doubt they'll pick him then, unless their really weak on goaltending depth in their minors/ahl. But who cares it's the Blackhawks anyway :P

Yes but only if Cannata was around 19 genius it would make sense. He can only replace the current goalies now or in 2-3 years since their all the similar age. If he's still in the AHL any longer it's either because he sucks or he isn't been given the opportunity... and I don't think he's bad so it'll probably be the opportunity not being given. That's when we decides that he needs to move on and goes into free agency or asks to be traded. However I'm sure Demko or any other goalie drafted later won't mind sticking around for longer since he's younger and still developing eh? Think before you post... But don't worry you're not alone.

in today's nhl, goalies are a dime a dozen. the goalie market is over saturated, if we need a new goalie we can get one relatively easy, and honestly, none of the goalies we have would be hard to replace. That's why getting another goalie who is compared to one of our current goalies is laughable. if he were the next Roy or Brodeur, hell yes, take him in the first round or 2, but drafting this kid now is pointless, as we'd be able to acquire a comparable goalie through trade or free agency when the time comes extremely easily.

Interesting that he was compared to Cannata, I think he's really been on the backburner for awhile, since we got Eriksson, but he does still have good potential himself.

I wouldn't take Demko at our 2nd pick (or an extra first if we get it), not because I don't think he could be a really good goalie someday, but we already have a number of good young goalies, I think we should look at getting a skater at #36, we are pretty shallow down the wings & on the backend (in our prospect pool).

Saw a bunch of tweets in the bottom headlines such as wonder when Demko will be taken or Why hasn't Demko been taken yet once we reached the 20-30 picks mark of the draft. I'd be surprised if he isn't gone in the top 5 picks in the 2nd round tomorrow. But I have my fingers crossed for Lemieux to be still available.

I wouldn't have an issue if we took Demko with our 36th pick, yes we have a lot of "young" goalies, I think our "youngest" is 24 Joe Cannata. By the time Demko is even close to being ready to play in the NHL, not be a starter, just actually to play would be 4-5 years from now.

If any one of Lack, Eriksson or Markstrom becomes our starter, by the time Demko would be ready to back them up, they would be around 31-32, Demko serves as a back-up for a couple of years than takes the starting position...as long as our goalie doesn't have a ridiculous contract like Luongo's shouldn't be no goalie controversy.

Archived