The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

Sounds like he has a more offensive upside than Horvat..?

I thought this was supposed to be the "weak" draft.

Sounds like you've been listening to what Deniro kept saying about how this draft was weak because it didn't have any depth. What I have been saying is the scouts have said the exact opposite. The top 5 or so players have not done enough to separate themselves from the rest of the pack the players so it has been labelled as a weak year. But really the depth in the the first round is just as deep as any year.

I like the Krejci/Bergeron idea. No Henrik or Crosby or anything, but it could be really solid and help make the Canucks a really good defensive team (with more offensively minded wingers in the top 6). Still, the Canucks need a really good defenseman for the future.

Maybe something like this:

Virtanen-Horvat-Kassian

Shinkaruk-McCann-Jensen

Gaunce, Bonino, Cassels, Matthias...

Yea and imagine if JB selects Hunter Smith with the 36th overall pick 6'6 dman!

Jared McCann speaks with TSN after being selected with the 24th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Draft.

That's what everyone is up in arms about? Seriously? Hahaha wtf

Some people need to see a psychologist if they found negativity in that interview because they are clearly stuck in some kind of pessimistic matrix and aren't enjoying life as much as the rest of us.

It's pretty obvious he "never thought of being a canuck" because we picked 6th and didn't acquire a late pick until earlier that day. Kid looks jittery and excited to me.

That's what everyone is up in arms about? Seriously? Hahaha wtf

Some people need to see a psychologist if they found negativity in that interview because they are clearly stuck in some kind of pessimistic matrix and aren't enjoying life as much as the rest of us.

It's pretty obvious he "never thought of being a canuck" because we picked 6th and didn't acquire a late pick until earlier that day. Kid looks jittery and excited to me.

Its not just that interview when he was drafted and stood up he and his dad looked at each other and it looked like he was pretty disappointed and THEN he had this interview and it was like okay not really what you want to hear.

Jared McCann was someone I had pencilled in at going between 8th-and 12th overall because I think he is a very solid prospect. When he was still on the board and Detroit were going to go up and pick I thought to myself, here we go again, another Mantha to Detroit. I am very happy that he fell into the laps of the Canucks similar to what Hunter Shinkaruk did. I have big expectations for this guy to produce more next season in the OHL because I think he has untapped offensive potential (Why I rank him so high) and hasn't been allowed to be that offensive guy yet. He was called the Bo Horvat of this draft and I couldn't be more excited to have him onboard as well, I think he has higher offensive upside than Gaunce.

It is what it is.. :bigblush:

Difference being, Kesler was a 3C projection when drafted, and developed his wrister afterwards.

Figure Horvat's on his way out? Not a player in the mold of what Benning's formulating?

Benning loves him, not sure what De Niro was getting at, kind of interested aswell.

Horvat and McCann are similar in that they bring the same defensive responsibility, faceoffs, all that, but they are a bit different in some aspects, McCann's got a better shot, more elusive, quicker, Horvat plays a stronger, heavier game.

Both could be very good 2nd line centers.

So many leaders we're drafting. McCann, Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels... this team will be really solid in a few years.

Yeah, nice depth we have, just missing the big piece(s) like a #1D or #1C. Hopefully we can get one of those pieces in next years draft.

Sounds like he has a more offensive upside than Horvat..?

I thought this was supposed to be the "weak" draft.

Misconception, it didn't have elite talent, isn't particularly deep once you get late into the 2nd round/early 3rd, but the middle of the first round was actually pretty strong IMO.

Almost everyone (except the Canucks fans) at HF loves the McCann pick; it seems to be the consensus steal of the first round. Many are calling the Canucks the team that had the best first round mainly on the strength of this pick, though most thought Virtanen was a slight reach. I myself couldn't be happier. Shame the kid was hassled by that twit about his reaction to being selected by the Canucks.

Naw man, i've just taken a lot of flak for guys i've supported the last few months, namely Virtanen, McCann, Scherbak, Goldobin, and McKeown. It just sucks to be insulted by people who know nothing about hockey. And now, I have my opportunity to brag.

I recall putting yourself out there calling emphatically for both. Congratulations!

And a side note that your opinion is respected as a guy who is legit following juniors and the minor leagues...

Ehh you can't keep a team full of leaders you need the quiet ones who do their thing too.

Power struggle depending on character

You might be mistaking alpha dog's for guy's with actual leadership skills???

Watching this guys reel you can see quite a few of those "holy crap this kid looks like a star" moments. Pretty pumped on this pick.

I know it's a stretch but there may be first line potential there if he's one of those guys that just takes it to the next level. The skill and vision look high enough if he just "gets it". Good ceiling low basement

I am not worried at all, never was worried about risky Euros either.

Just more worried about building to much of the same thing in our depth.

On RW we have Grenier

On LW we have Shinkaruk and Virtanen

at C We have Lain Mallett Horvat Cassels Gaunce Schroeder Friesen Labate and technically Fox.

Again just seems like a safe shade of overkill and I hope we make a run on RW and LW in the next 2 or 3 rounds

Not negative at all just like me a full course meal so to speak

Edit add on **

Qualify the fact Jensen is still there but after Shinkaruk and Virtanen Archibald is our next best LW and after Grenier nobody

Pick a sniper in Fa or trade we now have lots of cap space.

A 17 YO kid feeling dejected because he slipped a lot? .. faces the reality that his future lies 3000 miles (5000 KM,ok!) away, and gets a mic shoved into his face so to speak .. he will be fine.

If he doesn't want to be away from home then he should be working at the local pizza shop not trying to gain employment in 30 cities.

CanucksTV Host Joey Kenward catches up with the McCann family on day 2 of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft after Jared McCann was selected 24th overall by the Vancouver Canucks on day 1.

Family is so boring, and dull compared to the virtanens, his bro looks adopted too!

Not sure if already posted on here but nice little write up with vids on mista McCann

http://nhlnumbers.com/2014/6/27/jared-mccann-bergeron-2-0#comments

Archived