The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) good Bye Kesler

DrChill

Sorry Youtube videos are missing.

But great tidbits.

I know some of you hate Botch but he is good.

BEST STORY

Jim Benning is pretty unflappable.

One of the first things someone told me about him was that he wont blink at anything anyone writes or says about him in the media.

Just doesnt care.

You cant poke the Bear with him. Its going to drive the media crazy.

And its been true so far. Clearly, hes not easily frustrated. But he was with Ryan Kesler and Kurt Overhardt.

On his first day in his office, one of the first calls he took came from Kesler. He wanted to meet. And now.

I just kind of inherited it, Benning said. I heard from the outside what was going on. But when you take over a job, you hope for the best.

That wasnt going to be the case.

From there, the Kesler drama hit him like a bag of hammers. Literally every day.

I talked to (Keslers agent) Kurt Overhardt every morning and before I went to bed every night, Benning said.

I said to Kurt, when my wife was in Boston with the kids, I only talk to my wife once a day, but I talk to you twice a day.

He got a good laugh out of that.

There was a lot of threats both ways. Kurt would phone and yell and scream at me. Id yell and scream at him. Wed put it to bed.

The next wed wake up and start all over again.

Thats what happened.

I wish Ryan all the luck. We want players who want to play for our team.

Threats? Screaming? Two-a-days.

uh, wow.

And people thought Kesler could come back?

BEST QUOTE

This is Ryan Kesler is April:

When your name gets thrown around trade wise, its tough. Its never happened to me before in my career.

I leaned on these guys (looks at Bieksa and the Sedins) in that time and they helped me through it.

This is the only city I know beside Michigan. I love it here. Hopefully, I can stay.

Poor guy.

BEST TRADE

By cutting his list of teams from six to two, it was a bush move by Kesler.and it fed Benning and the Canucks a shit sandwich.

Its unclear why he took Pittsburgh off the list Ask him.

But it royally fd over the Canucks.

It left them with two teams to deal with, Chicago and Anaheim. Really, it was one team, because the Hawks couldnt easily afford 17.

Benning wanted to get this done before the draft and he was right to want that.

Ive always been underwhelmed by the Kesler offers. Looking back now, maybe part of it is the bad rep attitude thing which is making the NHL rounds.

I still think the Canucks needed upside or skill in the trade and they didnt get either. But man, this was a tough spot for Benning.

Yes, the offers were better at the draft. The 10th overall was offered in one package. Emerson Etem in a couple of others. Some are convinced Smith-Pelley was in a package, others say no to that one.

That was the time to trade him. The team who got him then would have been looking at three postseason runs.

How much is on Gilly and how much on Aquilini who sure wanted to keep Kesler?

Thats an equation which hasnt yet been answered.

BEST REASONING

You ready for the meat and potatoes Canucks?

The Canucks wanted size and edge with No. 6 and they knew they were either going to take Jake Virtanen or Michael Dal Colle.

We zoned in on those guys, Benning said. It was either Dal Colle or Jake.

The Nylanders, and Ehlers of the draft werent seriously considered at six.

We wanted guys, if you watch the NHL players, you need guys with size and strength. Guys who can get to the net and deflect pucks to get rebounds.

We were looking for that style of player. We were happy thats where we ended up.

Dare I say, Boston Model?

What about the Russians who were available at No. 24 when they took Bo Horvat Lite?

Specifically Ivan Barbashev?

No, didnt really consider a Russian, Benning said.

And here comes the money quote:

Were going to get back to a meat and potatoes type style of in the trenches, play hard. So, we never gave it much consideration.

BEST HAIR

Ekblad or Nylander?

BEST NICKNAME

BEST QUIP

He best be learning.

BEST RESPONSE

BEST CORRECTION

BEST TRUTH SPITTING

BEST QUESTION

BEST X-MEN REFERENCE

BEST OF THE VANCOUVER WAY

BEST MYSTERY

The scoop of the day wasnt in Philadelphia.

It wasnt on TSN or Sportsnet.

It was some 3500 KM away in a little Yaletown coffee.

There a fan just happened to overhear a conversation from a shadowy figure who was outlining just about every move the Canucks planned today with pinpoint accuracy.

https://twitter.com/MichelFalcon/status/482601509901725696

BEST REALITY

BEST THING TO LEAD THE LEAGUE IN

BEST UGH

Mooney to a small group of people:

Man, I wish the Islanders grabbed Nylander

Why?

So the names lined up. Nylander an Islander. An Islander is Nylander.

What?

As Mooney tried to explain the joke, Randy Sportak turned his back on him and walked away, never to be heard from again.

Not my best.

BEST UHHH

After getting selected, Bo Horvat Lite was asked why he thought the Canucks were interested in him:

I think it was my two-way game. I model my game after Ryan Kesler, he said, without a hint of irony.

Im a fan of his. I like the way he plays the game, McCann said. Hes a two-way centre like I try to be . Hes not afraid to drop his gloves if necessary.

Ill definitely will try to be like him.

The Canucks sure hope not.

BEST REACTION

It didnt take long for Kesler to start getting pummelled.

It should be clear by now the Canucks werent happy with his act.

His teammates werent either. As has been outlined in the Provies before, the players voted to strip him of his letter.

The leadership group tired of his draining personality and there will be no tears shed about his departure.

As someone put it:

The players are ecstatic.

Spec put it another way in his column:

Heres the deal: Kesler wasnt well liked by many of his teammates.

Good job, Spec

BEST SIGN

Hey Burrows, your days are numbered

BEST REDEMPTION

Mooney did redeem himself by digging up this interesting bit on Bo Horvat Lite:

According to a few people that follow the OHL closely, McCann is, and not just on the ice. He can be difficult, a little prickly, a little surly. He has a bad attitude, one scout noted. Another suggested its pretty strange for a kid ranked as highly as McCann is to be left off Hockey Canadas Summer Development roster. He clearly rubbed someone the wrong way, I was told.

Maybe thats why he slide.

Benning did point out some issues McCann has to overcome:

He needs to work on his strength. His physical strength. He works on that his skating will pick up the extra half step it neeeds to turn into a real good player.

BEST OF THE PROVIES

The Pensblog has had a lot of firsts, but it sure wasnt the story of the Canucks building a Murphy bed into Tortss office so he could take his old man naps instead of driving to Pt Roberts.

That was here.

And since then Ive been dying to get a pic of the thing and wouldnt you know more-open than ever Benning era begins and he hands the Provies his first gold of the season in this scene where the Torts bed was revealed at 1:05.

Bennings face is pretty great and Desjardins WTF reaction are pretty great.

The only thing greater would have been a pic of Torts curled up inside with a Dog Whisperer book clutched to his heart.

He never did use it though.

BEST RATINGS

The last book for TEAM 104o is in.

The morning show is up to around 7.9 share in the key 25-54 demo. This is a impressive number when you consider the flagging interest in the Canucks. And its the Canucks which carries the station.

It pretty much validates the TEAMs decision to hire Bro Jake btw.

He took a lot of crap when he took the job, but hes worked his ass off. Not sure Ill be doing the same when Im his age. Cruise control baby.

Midday comes in at 6.7 6.8 share.

Afternoon drive came in with a 5.6 share. There may be some meetings about that one.

BEST CONTEST

The Boat Party is coming and the TMZ branch of the Provies is offering $100 to anyone who can grab a pic of the Summer Classic.

We do hear that Boat Captain has set up a contest where you can win tickets by beating Tmart in tennis.

Hopefully one of our readers will take Tmart out.

http://theprov.in/1moKepQ

Botchford is a slimy weasel who doesn't hesitate to lie, fabricate, and exaggerate to get people to read his crap.

According to him, everyone in hockey is neurotic or a budding sociopath... I think he is just imagining everyone thinks like him.

What makes me laugh in my head is how he was actually in contention for leadership of this team a few years ago. Thank god he was never given the C. He just solidified for me why he is a big hole for this team. He really only cares about himself. Not a team player at all. Sooo glad he's not a Canadian would be tough to watch this guy in a red sweater.

What Kesler has Highlited for me is this...

He is not willing to put a team before himself,

He is weak mentally, Not Captain material

He does not have the capability to step up in the clutch moments to be an actual leader

He is bitter and his judgement is clouded and selfish

He needs a Mentor or (ass kicking) who he will listen to if he ever wants to have a chance at success.

Will cause issues in Anahiem. No way I see Getzlaf and Perry putting up with his Im so great and deserve a cup at age 30 crap.

When team mates turn against you it says something. How true that is a question mark. Benning wasn't pulling his punches much. He made it clear that the trade was seriously restricted by Kesler.

I always loved Kesler's will to win along with Burrows. Burrows was/is maybe more a clutch performer.

Negatives: Kesler could never ground a 2nd line. I never blamed him entirely for that as he did not have recognized top 6 wingers. I remember what appeared to be a somewhat cold shoulder towards CoHo. When Hodgson showed an ability to play wing on the 2nd one would have thought Kesler would embrace that. The idea that CoHo should have been the C and Kesler the W never seemed to have been tried.

Santorelli came in last year and was hot. Again a player that Kesler might have built a line with. More desperation than not Torts started to move Kesler around but to late IMHO as Santo was injured.

The guy wanted to move to a team that could win. I think there is nothing wrong with it. We got a good package for him. He could have stayed here and we would have got less and less until he left as a UFA .

I dont like the negative spin that the Vancouver media tends to use when a player or coach or GM leaves.

I agree. The guy is human and played great hockey for this franchise for a decade.

His shortcomings are far outweighed by his heart and determination to compete in a Canucks uniform.

Good luck,Kes, and thanks for the memories.

The guy wanted to move to a team that could win. I think there is nothing wrong with it. We got a good package for him. He could have stayed here and we would have got less and less until he left as a UFA .

I dont like the negative spin that the Vancouver media tends to use when a player or coach or GM leaves.

That's because you are emotionally invested and that makes it hard to see things for what they really are. Then when the media reports the facts, fans like you can't take it.

Because leaders believe they can build or help their team become a winner, not slide into an already assembled mix of their rivals. The passion that makes you loathe the guy lining up against you should drive you to beat him, not consider going over to the other side. Surrendering to them means you don't believe you can...that speaks volumes.

And if you're already thinking you could join forces because you've checked out and think you, personally, would have a greater chance with them, you don't have the right mentality. All in is the only way...teams have to be united and believe in one another.

So how did you like the negative spin Kesler put on his entire career to date with the Canucks? Did you listen to the NHL.com interviews? Sickening. I was a fan of this lying a-hole? "Me me me I I I, that team won't be a contender for 4 years" What he's saying here if you read between the lines is: "The Sedins suck and while they are in charge this team will never be a contender, and I'll be 34 by the time they're done and I want it now now now. I'm not interested in character or perseverence or taking leadership by example".

Watch this if you still have respect for the guy that just flipped the bird at the whole organization on the way out:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=724249&navid=nhl:topheads

They set him up to sound like an arrogant ass and he took the bait line and weight.

regarding Getzlaf and Perry:

"I think I've fought them both so yeah I have a good relationship with them"

"I hear Getzlaf is a great guy. *sigh* I'll have to just see about that"

among other appalling gems..

"There was supposed to be a trade during last year but. huh. Apparently it didn't happen"

"I was shocked and surprised"

"I've never been involved in trade rumors before"

"I'd love to spend the rest of my career in Vancouver"

"That team won't be a contender for years"

"I want to win now (but I'm not willing to make it happen)"

The way this team went from a SC finalist to an embarrassment in 2 seasons had many fans and press thinking there had to be locker room issues amongst the core. First sign this was true was Kesler having the A taken away. Now it is pretty evident that this guy was a cancer in the locker room.

All he's confirmed by his actions and interview is that he isn't the kind of leader that can create a contending team but wants to piggy-back on the backs of others to achieve the goal of a championship.

He'd have been the first one into the life boats on the Titanic, leaving the women and children to fend for themselves.

When team mates turn against you it says something. How true that is a question mark. Benning wasn't pulling his punches much. He made it clear that the trade was seriously restricted by Kesler.

I always loved Kesler's will to win along with Burrows. Burrows was/is maybe more a clutch performer.

Negatives: Kesler could never ground a 2nd line. I never blamed him entirely for that as he did not have recognized top 6 wingers. I remember what appeared to be a somewhat cold shoulder towards CoHo. When Hodgson showed an ability to play wing on the 2nd one would have thought Kesler would embrace that. The idea that CoHo should have been the C and Kesler the W never seemed to have been tried.

Santorelli came in last year and was hot. Again a player that Kesler might have built a line with. More desperation than not Torts started to move Kesler around but to late IMHO as Santo was injured.

If one looks back, Kesler really did not have line chemistry with anyone he played with. I constantly read that Kesler needed elite wingers to compliment him and make him better. I know of no player he complimented personally due to his selfishness with the puck and an unrestrained ego. Even AV commented he needed to find a way to use his team mates better however I saw no effort on his part to even start doing that at any time during his tenure in Vancouver. His ego is so large that if he is not in the spot light, he is an unhappy camper. He is certainly not a team player.

I recall the Vancouver Olympics when Kesler actually had tears in his eyes when they gave him the silver medal. What a sad sack. His constant sulk and attitude has turned me off from the beginning. I hate his diving antics on the ice; it portrays him as immature in the eyes of his team mates, opponents and fans. During NHL awards night when Kesler was announced as the Selke winner, several players (Toews, Getzlaf and Doan) could be seen in the crowd shaking their heads and smirking at his selection as the winner of the award. It was obvious him getting the award was not popular.

I laughed when he indicated earlier that he had not asked to be traded from Vancouver. His comments on draft day expressing on television that he wanted to win a cup "now" and Bennington's comment "we don't want people on the team who don't want to be here" certainly says something about Kesler's credibility about denying he asked to be traded.

Kesler's team player character has obviously been scrutinized by his coaches and team mates. Why else would he not be considered for the team captaincy. He was not even considered as an Alternate. I wonder why? My guess is, he was not well respected in the dressing room and was more of a distraction than anything else. The rumours that he was a cancer in the dressing room sure appear to be true. His "me first" attitude is not needed on the team and I am relieved as a Vancouver fan that he is no longer a Canuck.

I wonder how his self centered ways will be received by his colleagues in Anaheim? It will become apparent no doubt as it is said a "leopard does not change its spots".

Archived