The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Let's be honest this guy was drafted in 2014. They had scouted him before that and I'm sure they've seen him a hundred time since. They have him valued, his skills and what he's worth. He's played 79 games in the NHL. I doubt there is any player on the Vcr reserved list who has been looked atmore than him. Every other D prospect lacks the  assessment of this guy. Unless he asks for the moon he'll be in Vcr next September. I hope he simply comes with a more mature attitude.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

No need to worry about the more mature attitude. I read a while back that he realizes that he could've learned more staying in the NHL and that he wasn't mentally ready at that time when he was first here. I think it's safe to say he has indeed matured. I think he has also taken the steps needed to make himself an effective defender and has improved his game in the KHL. How it translates to the NHL is to be determined, but I think his head is in the right place now.

I never read that, that's good to know. Early days of marriage will do that to a guy :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I never read that, that's good to know. Early days of marriage will do that to a guy :lol:

I think that's an insightful comment.  Reading between the lines in all that was printed about Tryamkin leaving, I think that his newly-wed wife's sense of isolation in Vancouver probably had a lot to do with him wanting to return to Russia at the time.  It may have even been why he didn't want to do a stint in Utica, as I'm not sure he would have been encouraged to take her along.   For the public record, he came up with other reasons why he didn't want to stay in Vancouver, but if she was the real reason , obviously he wasn't going to throw her under the bus.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I remembering some tweet about it (I thought from Igor Eronko), but I can't seem to find it. Although the best I could find was the following (Eronko is quoted in the article, but I don't pay for the Athletic to see what's in that article):

Tryamkin himself recognizes that he could have further developed his skillset had he stayed with the Canucks.

“In Vancouver, they tried to develop him as much as they could. The Canucks tried to fix his skating first of all, to try to get him to another level,” KHL insider Igor Eronko told The Athletic. “They tried to teach him how to play with the puck and offensively he liked that, but he didn’t recognize at the time that he would learn more and more and more if he had stayed.”

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I remembering some tweet about it (I thought from Igor Eronko), but I can't seem to find it. Although the best I could find was the following (Eronko is quoted in the article, but I don't pay for the Athletic to see what's in that article):

Tryamkin himself recognizes that he could have further developed his skillset had he stayed with the Canucks.

“In Vancouver, they tried to develop him as much as they could. The Canucks tried to fix his skating first of all, to try to get him to another level,” KHL insider Igor Eronko told The Athletic. “They tried to teach him how to play with the puck and offensively he liked that, but he didn’t recognize at the time that he would learn more and more and more if he had stayed.”

After watching him play this year,

@ 20 -25 odd games. I don't think teaching him offense was right timing wise. He's been coached as a stay at home D. And he looks comfortable doing that. As his team was facing elimination (again) Tryamkin was over trying, and forcing offense with his size. It led to a more scrambly effort by him and getting caught up ice.. He can be effective on offense but has to be introduced slowly through the regular season, not the crush of playoff pressure.When he comes back I would think keeping it simple is best.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

@ 20 -25 odd games. I don't think teaching him offense was right timing wise. He's been coached as a stay at home D. And he looks comfortable doing that. As his team was facing elimination (again) Tryamkin was over trying, and forcing offense with his size. It led to a more scrambly effort by him and getting caught up ice.. He can be effective on offense but has to be introduced slowly through the regular season, not the crush of playoff pressure.When he comes back I would think keeping it simple is best.

True.   Tryamkin is a better wall than the one Trump is trying to build.

Nik comes equipped to mount guns to as an option accessory.

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2020 at 4:48 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Would be pretty cool to meet up with some CDCers here and watch a game.

Quite a few guys/gals I'd like to share a drink and cheer are team with. We're the more passionate part of the Canucks fan base so it would be quite fun I'd imagine.

..  once we get playing hockey again,

and Tryamkin is here where he should be.

Lets try to get a few of the good fellas here to meet for a game and bevy of choice.

Fri/ Sat game/ games

Maybe meet at “ticket window” and we claim a few seats together..

preferably home blue line , Tryamkins side of ice ( either L or R). 
..and If @Stierlitz can make it, perhaps he tells us how to say:

“ take his head off Nik!”    in Russian ?
:ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

I fully expect Tyramkin to be in camp in September, or whenever next years camp takes place.  He will bring size and toughness that this team sorely needs on its back end.  Edler and Stecher are our most physical D.  Tryamkin will go a long way to fix that.  Given his size and grit, I just don't see how he doesn't slot into our top 6 D and make a pretty big impact right away.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Sounds good, here's the problem IMO. Greens system requires the D to jump in and create a 4 on three. Evidence ….  Gudbranson and his failure in Vcr, heck Tanev jumps up into the attack Greens style is to attack, the wheels fall of his system when they try to defend ( giving up games when they're ahead late in the game) I like Tryamkin but don't see a good match with Green when I stop and think about it. Green has plan A … plan B is …. see plan A

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Sounds good, here's the problem IMO. Greens system requires the D to jump in and create a 4 on three. Evidence ….  Gudbranson and his failure in Vcr, heck Tanev jumps up into the attack Greens style is to attack, the wheels fall of his system when they try to defend ( giving up games when they're ahead late in the game) I like Tryamkin but don't see a good match with Green when I stop and think about it. Green has plan A … plan B is …. see plan A

Tryamkin is a much better skater than Gudbranson.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Tryamkin is a much better skater than Gudbranson.

For sure, but Gudbranson rather than to try and play his game tried to do too much and constantly put himself into trouble. I used to cringe when he tried to reverse the play …. as a rule it was a give away. I'd like to think Green will not put Tryamkin in a bad position

9 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

For sure, but Gudbranson rather than to try and play his game tried to do too much and constantly put himself into trouble. I used to cringe when he tried to reverse the play …. as a rule it was a give away. I'd like to think Green will not put Tryamkin in a bad position

But that is Gudbranson's decision making and execution. Green can only do so much for him. Tryamkin has the ability to push up the puck with his skating, so that alone allows him more options.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I think Tryamkin frees up Stech and or Tanev or Myers to attack more if he's back guarding  our end . Hughes is good where he's at.

Tryamkin is perfectly comfortable skating the puck into the half wall and passing from there then going back. His speed makes up for a lot miscues.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Tryamkin frees up Stech and or Tanev or Myers to attack more if he's back guarding  our end . Hughes is good where he's at.

Tryamkin is perfectly comfortable skating the puck into the half wall and passing from there then going back. His speed makes up for a lot miscues.

I believe Tryamkin almost exclusively plays RD (even though he's a left shot), so it'll be interesting which side he ends up on. He could be partnered with Hughes and be that steady defensive dman while Hughes does his thing. Tryamkin's reach and stick (and skating ability) could probably cover both sides on the rink anyway. Tryamkin could have occasional dashes when the opposition is trying to focus on shutting down a Hughes breakout.

He could be paired with Edler and be more on the offensive and bull his way to the net. Edler also tends to play tougher and bigger with some physical support (like when he was paired with Gudbranson).

He could be paired with a Rathbone/Juolevi and be that physical presence to protect the young guys too.

Many options.

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I believe Tryamkin almost exclusively plays RD (even though he's a left shot), so it'll be interesting which side he ends up on. He could be partnered with Hughes and be that steady defensive dman while Hughes does his thing. Tryamkin's reach and stick (and skating ability) could probably cover both sides on the rink anyway. Tryamkin could have occasional dashes when the opposition is trying to focus on shutting down a Hughes breakout.

He could be paired with Edler and be more on the offensive and bull his way to the net. Edler also tends to play tougher and bigger with some physical support (like when he was paired with Gudbranson).

He could be paired with a Rathbone/Juolevi and be that physical presence to protect the young guys too.

Many options.

I think it'll be an option play that Green can use in a tight game. Tryamkin could probably get it behind the net without much of a problem. And design a play from there. Two D go to him, and frees up a forward. Tryamkin could go to the net but that's when he loses confidence in his space and time and generally dumps it and goes back.

I think they can coach a play for him to hold it up against the boards which he's good at.

I know I've thought about RD or LD. He does play some LD when they rotate to get a line change. And he looks good then. One thing I don't like is his backhand clearance out of the zone when he's RD. Its sometimes rushed and sometimes weak and easy to turn over.Esp when it is a blind backhand under tough pressure. I think a stint on LD would be great to compare.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think it'll be an option play that Green can use in a tight game. Tryamkin could probably get it behind the net without much of a problem. And design a play from there. Two D go to him, and frees up a forward. Tryamkin could go to the net but that's when he loses confidence in his space and time and generally dumps it and goes back.

I think they can coach a play for him to hold it up against the boards which he's good at.

I know I've thought about RD or LD. He does play some LD when they rotate to get a line change. And he looks good then. One thing I don't like is his backhand clearance out of the zone when he's RD. Its sometimes rushed and sometimes weak and easy to turn over.As it is a blind backhand in tough pressure. I think a stint on LD would be great to compare.

I could see I’m on the PK easily..

and even the pp being that go to drop pass..

Nik at 40kmh can not be stopped on the outside wall.

• Cheers 1

I just don’t see how he fits with any of our pairings.

Having Myers kind of messes things up.

Both are 3rd pairing RD, and you don’t really want either in the top 4 (at least initially in the case of Tryamkin).  I don’t know how well Tryamkin plays on the left, which is really the only spot for him, and that would still require us to sign/trade for two top 4 RD.

Maybe eventually Tryamkin could partner with Hughes, but that is a lot of minutes to ask of him even if you take away the special teams.

Green would also not want Tryamkin partnered with a rookie like Juolevi.

Unless things change, the only really likely pairings could be

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Rafferty

Tryamkin-Myers

Benn

or

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Myers

Benn-Tryamkin

... but neither of these gives you a good shut down paring.  Putting Hughes and Myers together is possible, but that didn’t work as well as having Tanev there.... 

I want him to come back, but don’t want to pencil him into the top 4 where we have the spot.  I don’t have faith that Benning can completely rejig the defence and improve it.

• Wat 1