The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does the officiating improve for us next season?

King Heffy

All I wish is that officials would call all games - preseason, regular season and playoffs - the way the Rule Book says they should be called. An infraction is an infraction, at any time. The rule book is there for a reason. It would be great if it were used more consistently. Those officials who choose not to call games "by the book" are warned, then fined, then they start losing assignments. Players can be "sent down". Maybe it's time for consistently poor officials to be demoted, too?

It's more a case of the officials calling a team by what they are used to expect. Teams like Boston and LA thrive on intimidation and borderline play. The refs see that every game from those teams. They were used to Vancouver playing a skilled game and trusted the refs to make the call....during the playoffs, they didn't make the calls and it was game over. If you play a hard hitting style every game, the refs become accustomed to that and let borderline stuff slide. They will call they other team for retaliation.

When Vancouver went right back at LA last year (and Anaheim) the refs called so many penalties on us that we spent half the game on the PK. They were not calling LA until our guys played tit for tat.

So no, I don't think that there is any sort of vendetta against us (except for their calls on Burrows), it is just that they expect Vancouver to play soft and when they don't, they bury us in penalties.

I think it's pretty clear by now that Gillis wasn't a well-respected guy around the league. After his calling out the refs after their poor conduct in the 2011 series against Chicago, we got stuck with Sutherland and O'Halloran for many important games, especially against Chicago and Boston. Either Gillis was too dense to realize the assignment of these guys posed a problem, or the league didn't listen.

Linden, on the other hand, is respected around the hockey world. I think it's reasonable to assume that if he calls up the league office and requests officials who can be trusted to conduct themselves in a professional manner, the league may just be more willing to accommodate him.

Add in the fact that Kesler isn't here anymore, and it's reasonable to expect the refs to at least attempt to call the games fairly next year. Thoughts?

Notwithstanding the obvious occasions (San Jose series, for one), the officiating will improve if we stop making sloppy, lazy plays...then we won't need to resort to tripping, hooking, etc.

Seeing how Desjardins has promised an uptempo, hard working team, I would expect that our minor penalties should go down.

And yah, Sutherland is a doofus.

I think it's pretty clear by now that Gillis wasn't a well-respected guy around the league. After his calling out the refs after their poor conduct in the 2011 series against Chicago, we got stuck with Sutherland and O'Halloran for many important games, especially against Chicago and Boston. Either Gillis was too dense to realize the assignment of these guys posed a problem, or the league didn't listen.

Linden, on the other hand, is respected around the hockey world. I think it's reasonable to assume that if he calls up the league office and requests officials who can be trusted to conduct themselves in a professional manner, the league may just be more willing to accommodate him.

Add in the fact that Kesler isn't here anymore, and it's reasonable to expect the refs to at least attempt to call the games fairly next year. Thoughts?

Why would it matter if the players have learned anything it is diving does not work, refs watch for it from certain players with a history, the players should be professional enough, drawing penalties, if it happens it happens, why don't the players try scoring goals instead of wasting time and energy, take the crap from other teams and just go to the net already, if they are not willing to pay the price then they should be in the AHL anyways.

Its the NHL pay the price drive to the net, play the game, not games drawing penalties, earn your pay players its not european football, who cares what refs are reffing the game, play hard they might notice an infraction.

Sadly, no. The Canucks made a great leap forward by unloading Kesler to the unsuspecting Ducks. Yeah, they won't know what hit 'em.

On the other hand, the Canucks picked up Miller, who has a cry-baby rep from his time back east, so it's kind of a wash in that department.

What really kills it is that Linden was on the team back in 2002 when Burke made those comments/complaints about the officiating (eg. "Sedin is not English for punch me or headlock me in a scrum..."). The officials have cursed the Canucks because of Burke's comments and this curse will only be lifted once everyone who was with the Canucks at that time is no longer associated with this team.

Having Linden around has set the team back in this regard, and for the good of the team he should keep his tenure as president a short one. The Sedins are under contract for four more years (I'm sure they didn't know what kind of a negative impact their re-signing was going to have!!) so I give them and Linden until then to get out for the good of the team.

It is hoped that the referees will be lenient and give the Canucks a break because they drafted Andrew Cassels' kid...

regards,

G.

I don't think refs have these sort of biases against teams, but individual players that have a history of diving, and I think it's mostly because they don't want to give the player benefit of the doubt. So it'll improve because we simply don't have Kesler unless one of the new players next season has a history of diving.

http://www.foxsports.com.au//rugby/super-rugby/two-referees-relieved-of-duties-in-super-rugby-after-another-weekend-of-inconsistent-officiating/story-e6frf4qu-1226863456913

FOr those of you who dont know the Super 15 Is probably the toughest Rugby union leage on the planet consisting of South African / Australian / New Zealand Teams competing every year against each other.

As you can see by this report, when the Quality of the officials dipped to a sup par level in 2014, SANZAR took swift action to rectify it, and removed 2 officials from the rotation.

It was publicly announced.

IT was dealt with. There was no uprising by officials or teams involved in the poorly officiated games, and the competition moved on.

This is how you deal with sup par performances by the officials.

The problem is that the league has done nothing (that we're aware of, either by being told or seeing its effects) to address the inconsistent and sometimes out-rightly unprofessional officiating. I'm among those who rant about the refs, but I fear it's less of a hatred of this team than an accepted culture of refs being able to behave unprofessionally due to personal feelings or something worse. (I've said for years that I think the NHL will have a scandal where we find out a few refs were deliberately altering aspects of the game, i.e. number of power plays, goals, etc., for gambling reasons.) Sure mistakes happen and refs are only human, but there's just too many games, both those involving the Canucks and those not, that have blatantly biased, one-sided reffing to blame simple human error.

So, in short. Don't hold your breath.

Although I do agree there can be some bias at times(referees are humans, not robots), I don't think the Canucks have it any worse than any other team in the NHL.

No matter how 'fair' a referee attempts to be, at the end of the day there will be always be some party that isn't happy with the officiating.

I am happy if the refs do three simple things.

1. If you see an infraction, call it.

2. If you think there was an infraction, but didn't actually see it, don't. No need to consult another the other referee/linesmen (as situation allows) , as if he/they had seen it, he/they should have already called it.

3. No bloody 'make up' calls. I can handle a mistake. What I can't handle is when refs call something ticky-tack to 'make up' for a call they missed. In essence, they have now actually messed up twice. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Every team gets screwed with officiating, next year will be no different. You will take more penalties when you aren't hustling. Maybe we should stop diving, whining, and work harder, only then we will get better calls. Kesler is gone so it's bound to improve.

We had a goon team pretty much last season. Penalties were bound to get up there.

The Canucks were hardly a goon team...we haven't had any team toughness since Hordichuk, Rypien, O'Brien, Bieksa, Glass, were running amok, with some back up from Mitchell and Rome. The toughest guy on any given night this past season was Tortorella...that is until the rabid chihuahua was neutered after the Calgary game in mid-January.

Archived