The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Mic'd Up at Draft

Blueberries

McCaan was projected to go in the top 15 I believe? So the call must have been placed around that time, or just after. When they were looking at their list of top guys and saw him left after each pick. Kind of the way Shinkaruk played out.

I like JB's personality here. Very casual and personable, but assertive. I also like that Linden was allowing him to do his thing. With all the media touring I was worried Trev would have his fingers in too many pots. But it's a good sign that he knows when to sit back and let his man do his job.

Funny how Benning has to "justify" his choices in McCann and Virtanen after the picks?

I thought Benning would already have had that conversion with Trevor and his assistants way before the draft. Yet Benning seems a little ackward socially, so maybe thats just the way he is.

This is merely his way of taking ownership of his decisions. It goes without saying (yet I'm going to say it anyway), they sat in a room on more than one occasion and discussed possible outcomes of the draft. It's not up to their capologist who gets drafted, and Linden would probably only step in if he was alarmed at the choice made.

Based on his previous appearance in front of the camera, it's clear to me he's an introvert and doesn't really have the skills (yet) to act relaxed and social with cameras. He HAD to know the camera was rolling, and as a result, probably did what a number of us here would do, and that's NOT act naturally. I remember when Trevor Linden first broke in to the NHL, and he was super awkward in front of cameras. He seems pretty awesome now.

Is it just me or does Linden feel really... isolated from the conversations?

When Benning started laughing at the call from Snow, he tried to see what's going on. But other than when Benning is explaining about Virtanen, Trevor seems very not interested and is looking at his phone....

Hopefully this just means that Trevor has complete trust in the drafting selections of Benning and respect his expertise in the scouting field.

Not saying Linden is lazy or anything, just my observation for someone who should technically be Benning's "supervisor/boss".

I understand your concern, but I feel you're over-thinking this a bit.. People look at their phones all the time these days. I know Trevor has a job to do, but he's not a hover-boss. Jim was brought in to do exactly what he's doing. Trevor was there for the obvious reason that he's part of the senior management team. In a highly fluid environment, what if McCann and another guy they want at 24 is taken - does Jim turn to Trevor for advice? Maybe so, but they got their man, so Trevor could remain on cruise control.

Is it just me or does Linden feel really... isolated from the conversations?

When Benning started laughing at the call from Snow, he tried to see what's going on. But other than when Benning is explaining about Virtanen, Trevor seems very not interested and is looking at his phone....

Hopefully this just means that Trevor has complete trust in the drafting selections of Benning and respect his expertise in the scouting field.

Not saying Linden is lazy or anything, just my observation for someone who should technically be Benning's "supervisor/boss".

Micro managing hurts everyone. Linden brought Benning in for a reason. Better to let him do his job.

Really cool to see how JB operates behind the scenes.

You can tell he is chummy with both Garth Snow and Gary Bettman, which is great to see. Having strong relationships with other GM's is something I felt that Gillis was always lacking. Obviously being friends with Bettman can only help aswell.

To the posters wondering he is justifying the picks afterwards, whether there are cameras there or not, that is human nature. Even when you go out for dinner with your friends you always talk about how good or bad it was after the fact, even though everyone experienced the same thing.

I like how high he is on McCann already. He could be the steal of the draft. Reminds me of Skinner. And who cares what Gilman thinks about the picks, he's not into the drafting and trading, his role seems to be more about handling paperwork, cap management, and other technicalities.

I like how Linden let's Benning do his thing. You have to remember that this is Linden's first draft as a manager. Benning has way more experience in that environment.

Ill take a guy who stands up for his team like gillis, you really criticizing him for calling out the refs in 2011chicago series.

While doing nothing to prevent the NHL from assigning crooked officials like Sutherland to ref crucial playoff games. and making 2 out the 3 stupidest trades in franchise history?

Really cool to see how JB operates behind the scenes.

You can tell he is chummy with both Garth Snow and Gary Bettman, which is great to see. Having strong relationships with other GM's is something I felt that Gillis was always lacking. Obviously being friends with Bettman can only help aswell.

To the posters wondering he is justifying the picks afterwards, whether there are cameras there or not, that is human nature. Even when you go out for dinner with your friends you always talk about how good or bad it was after the fact, even though everyone experienced the same thing.

I like how high he is on McCann already. He could be the steal of the draft. Reminds me of Skinner. And who cares what Gilman thinks about the picks, he's not into the drafting and trading, his role seems to be more about handling paperwork, cap management, and other technicalities.

I like how Linden let's Benning do his thing. You have to remember that this is Linden's first draft as a manager. Benning has way more experience in that environment.

awalk:
Gilman always looks unhappy, people are reading into things way too much.

Well said, and I agree.

It seemed clear that Benning states the obvious about each of the draft picks for the camera so the audience knows what he thinks of each one after picking them. Linden and Gilman are just pretending to be his audience without looking fake and speaking to the camera. I loved the look behind the scenes. I love both first 2 picks.

That's exactly how I saw it.

As Benning goes up the stage, passes Bettman and says: "Hey Gary".

I'll take a man who is on personal terms with Mr. Bettman, over a player agent who butts heads with the Commissioner, the league, the media, the fans and the players.

To me there is a lot of story material in that video. I think Virtanen was on everyone's list, but I think McCann is a Benning choice. I say that because of the body language of both Trevor Linden, and Gillman. Trevor doesn't look happy, Gillman looks like he's agreeing so he doesn't lose his job and Benning is on his own path to success in the hopes that others join in.

Watch McCann go right to the top of the NHL.

That's kind of what I thought too lol. I don't know why Benning is explaining his decisions after either.

I agree Gilman looked a bit weird there. Who do you think he wanted instead? I know they would never allow it but a retrospective look say 5 years later of all the draft conversations would be so interesting

First two phone calls were Garth Snow I think the last one was someone calling him to ask who he was picking, not necessarily Garth.

probably who ever was picking after us to see if they would be trading with mr Snow.

or if the player they wanted was gonna be there.

Do you go through the front page to get here? I always just type forum.canucks.com

I know I don't. Don't think I ever even go on Cdc main page only forums.

Thanks for sharing. Lol top secret... Its always interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes. I wish we had a canucks TV show with more insight.

Do you plan 1 month ahead of time eating your steak and discuss it with your coworker before eating it too? Pretty sure you don't.

Why would he explain his choice to Trevor after drafting and not before, after all Trevor is his boss. Remember the Oil Change documentury, when the Oilers front office was discussing Tyler vs Taylor before the draft, i'm pretty sure Benning and Trevor (and the whole front office with Aqualini not too far) had that same discussion about the 6th overall weeks before the draft.

Maybe socially ackward is pushing it, but don't tell me JB is a great public speaker/ charismatic person like Trevor, Burke, Babcock, The Bowman's, even Yzerman who's a pretty quiet guy seems much more confortable behind a mic.

Sorry, but while JB is no Trevor Linden in terms of public speaking, he seems pretty comfortable compared to Stevie Y. Did you see Yzerman announce the 2014 Canadian Men's Olympic team?? He was reading off a script, looked up for a second, and managed to forget his "next lines". Yes, it was a big moment. But I don't see Gretzky doing that.

JB isn't awkward at all, IMO. He's straightforward and folksy, doesn't beat around the bush. Just tells it like it is. I found that draft stuff at the table just small chit-chat. No big deal.

As Benning goes up the stage, passes Bettman and says: "Hey Gary".

I'll take a man who is on personal terms with Mr. Bettman, over a player agent who butts heads with the Commissioner, the league, the media, the fans and the players.

To me there is a lot of story material in that video. I think Virtanen was on everyone's list, but I think McCann is a Benning choice. I say that because of the body language of both Trevor Linden, and Gillman. Trevor doesn't look happy, Gillman looks like he's agreeing so he doesn't lose his job and Benning is on his own path to success in the hopes that others join in.

Watch McCann go right to the top of the NHL.

Yeah, I also like that he is on a first name basis with Garth Snow. Later in the year when the Isl are losing, hopefully we can send some help to keep them from giving Buffalo a top pick next yr. Garth has several very nice prospects in the system and he may be willing to part with one of them

Archived