The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Mic'd Up at Draft

Blueberries

You know, for all the "Linden and Gilman" didn't seem to like the drafting of Virtanen bit, Gilman has been a part of our highly successful *sarcasm* drafting since 2008. If I were JB, I wouldn't give a rats a$$ what Gilman thinks about the pick. Virtanen has alot of time to get better and he will be. Probably be one of "the main guys" on the WJC roster in December and I personally look forward to him beating the piss out of the Russians and Fins. Trevor didn't like the pick either apparently. Time will tell. I think it was the right move though. For me, it was Virtanen, Ehlers, and Ritchie. Ehlers had more high end talent, Ritchie had more grit and thump. We took the guy that has a bit of both. I'd say I'm pretty satisfied.

I found it interesting that at 00.55 second mark after drafting Virtanen, JB almost sounded like he was still trying to convince Trev (or himself) that Virtanen was the right player to pick.

And just before he drafts McCann, he gets that call and tells the caller he can't reveal that info..."we're taking McCann". Wonder who was calling. Mackenzie or LeBrun?

Loving JB and how he's just matter of factly gone about his business so far.

Meh I think Linden has been removed out of hockey and probably hasn't had a chance to review prospects in this draft.. JB has had a full season with the Bruins organization to go over scouting reports and evaluate players on his own accord.

Probably Garth they wanted to move up to our pick maybe they were targeting McCann as well and was lining up a trade to select him after us if we didn't pick him up.

You know, for all the "Linden and Gilman" didn't seem to like the drafting of Virtanen bit, Gilman has been a part of our highly successful *sarcasm* drafting since 2008. If I were JB, I wouldn't give a rats a$$ what Gilman thinks about the pick. Virtanen has alot of time to get better and he will be. Probably be one of "the main guys" on the WJC roster in December and I personally look forward to him beating the piss out of the Russians and Fins. Trevor didn't like the pick either apparently. Time will tell. I think it was the right move though. For me, it was Virtanen, Ehlers, and Ritchie. Ehlers had more high end talent, Ritchie had more grit and thump. We took the guy that has a bit of both. I'd say I'm pretty satisfied.

I think you have Virtanen and McCann mixed up, Gilman and JB were talking about McCann near the end and I think they were agreeing awkwardly about his skillset. Gilman even says "I like him".

Either way it's nice too see that the decisions were clearly GMJB and no "influences" so far from others.

Wow, way too much analyzing going on over a little three minute snippet of Benning.

Exactly. I think it is more he knew he was mic'd and was giving his take for the camera more than anything. And I would not be surprised if that is the Canucks marketing machine at work a bit too making sure fans see that Benning is "in charge".

What...... Gilman had nothing but solid praises for virtannen even before benning was hired......

I agree Gilman looked a bit weird there. Who do you think he wanted instead? I know they would never allow it but a retrospective look say 5 years later of all the draft conversations would be so interesting

It is possible Gilman looked strange because he was not normally taken into the discussions of players by Gillis. Gillis struck me as someone who probably thought he was "the man" and Gilman's forte was contracts cap etc not players.

Benning, while "inclusive" knows his trade and his trade is players. However he seems to be the type that will be open to the opinions of others and likes to give others "their place"

As said above this was all for the benefit of the viewer and Benning it appeared did not want to look arrogant and therefore rather than just say "It's McCann" he explained his reasoning.

PPL are overanalyzing this short video.. Gilman is the numbers guy, and Linden just a few months ago was not even involved in the NHL so he has no clue about any of these prospects, besides what he saw at u-18s.. Benning is re-assuring his staff, and explaining to the camera's (fans) how we just had 2 great players fall into our lap.. He's just simply excited about the picks like all of us are

You can just tell this guy is a smart hockey dude!, not only that, but works his arse off..so glad he's part of the Nucks, well done Linden in finding Benning!

100% Agreed with you, Linden did a great job in hiring JB .... And to be honest it's been a very exciting to be a fan right now and the puck hasn't even dropped yet lol

In a cool way Linden is being taught how to gm by Benning, I think there's a good rapport between those two. They know what it takes to be a team. And they both bring very different and very specific skill sets to the Administration. With Linden's seasoned leadership qualities he knows when to pass/defer to his teammate Benning. I like how these two work together.

Benning looks like he is in total control and got the kids he targeted. Trevor is basicly along for the ride at the draft as that is not his job, he wanted Benning all along for this day and you can see why. Man i love the fact we have a world class scout as a GM who seems to know all levels of the juniors.

I think you have Virtanen and McCann mixed up, Gilman and JB were talking about McCann near the end and I think they were agreeing awkwardly about his skillset. Gilman even says "I like him".

Either way it's nice too see that the decisions were clearly GMJB and no "influences" so far from others.

I think I can read body language pretty well and I don't know where your coming up with this. How can you tell linden and gilman dislike the pick?

I wasn't able to watch the draft I was at my dads cottage in the states. My friend did give me live updates via text. Watching this video was the first time that I've seen virtanen walk up to the stage. Man the look on his face was priceless. You could tell that that may very well be the best moment of his life.

This has been a great thread to read and I am enjoying the comments alot;

-Linden I feel is doing his job perfectly right now. He went out and got a GM with tons of hockey knowledge, and a guy that his good relationships around the league. Benning was known as a drafting GM, so it makes perfect sense to me if Linden let Benning take the reigns completely at the draft. Linden will be the watchful eye, the sounding board, the connection to the community, and the connection to the media. If Benning is as good as advertised, he will have to run his ideas and philosophy by someone, and Linden is the perfect guy for that.

-From this clip I also get the impression that it will be easier for Benning to make trades then it was for Gillis, and that is a good thing. We may or may not agree on all of Benning's moves thus far, however in only a few short months he has significantly changes this team. I am excited for opening day.

Funny how Benning has to "justify" his choices in McCann and Virtanen after the picks?

I thought Benning would already have had that conversion with Trevor and his assistants way before the draft. Yet Benning seems a little ackward socially, so maybe thats just the way he is.

I'm sure it's pretty common for GM's to talk to Staff about the pick they got. What I find more interesting is before the McCann pick it looked like they were on fence between McCann and one other player, any ideas who it is?

Archived