The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

im wondering after trading garrison whos gonna replace his 33 points off d

canuktravella

Why does everyone keep thinking staton will get sub 20 points, he had ?18? Last season and was injured for a good portion of the season... That was his rookie season...

Edler 37

Bieksa 26

Stanton 24

Hammer 21

Tanev 20

Sbisa 12

Weber 8

Corrado 4

Stanton had 16 points last season but that is splitting hairs. I called 9 points because as is I think all out D will have lower point totals due to playing a modified trap with little pinching in. If we add top 6 depth and can ball with the teams in our division then who knows, 20 pts is feasible.

Not to mention Stanton's point totals improving presumes he'll get as much or more playing time than he did last year, despite competing for those minutes with Sbisa who's better competition than Alberts and may get the majority.

Not to mention Stanton's point totals improving presumes he'll get as much or more playing time than he did last year, despite competing for those minutes with Sbisa who's better competition than Alberts and may get the majority.

Is he really competing with Sbisa though? I don't think he is, for even strength ice time at least. With Garrison gone, you're essentially filling his place in the roster with Sbisa, and the Stanton spot becomes a competition between Stanton, Weber, and whoever else (perhaps Corrado or Sanguinetti if they have good camps).

I could be off on my thinking here however.

I do think Stanton will have lower point production though, as I also think we're going to see less offensive involvement from the defense in general due to how our team is set up.

Just throwing this out there for reference purposes. Points from the defense during the Gillis era:

2013 - 14 38 goals 109 assists 147 points

2012 - 13 28 goals 58 assists 86 points (*47 game season)

2011 - 12 40 goals 141 assists 181 points (post Ehrhoff)

2010 - 11 42 goals 115 assists 157 points (2nd season with Ehrhoff)

2009 - 10 42 goals 129 assists 171 points (1st season with Ehrhoff)

2008 - 09 35 goals 132 assists 167 points (1st Gillis season)

It's interesting to note that while Ehrhoff scored 14 goals in each of his seasons here, no other Canuck d-man reached double figures in goals. It's also interesting that points from assists by the defense went down in each of those two years.

regards,

G.

Bieksa has 3 40+ seasons under his belt. I think it's is still possible to see 70 points out of his remaining contract. If he and edler can (on seperate pairings) both put up 30+ points and hamhuis continues his consistent 20+ we should be alright

I agree and hopefully we have seen the last of a Bieksa/ Edler pairing. Put Bieksa with Hamhuis and Edler with Tanev.

Watch the comeback of Edler to the Norris trophy!

Whoa....did you eat a bowl of 'Optomism' this morning? Norris? I will settle for Edler using his big body effectively, putting up a reasonable points total and most important, becoming a solid dman in our end of the ice. That is a lot to learn after last seasons disasterous season. Hopefully WD will get him playing like he is expected to.

Is he really competing with Sbisa though? I don't think he is, for even strength ice time at least. With Garrison gone, you're essentially filling his place in the roster with Sbisa, and the Stanton spot becomes a competition between Stanton, Weber, and whoever else (perhaps Corrado or Sanguinetti if they have good camps).

I could be off on my thinking here however.

I do think Stanton will have lower point production though, as I also think we're going to see less offensive involvement from the defense in general due to how our team is set up.

Except Garrison played on his off side, the right, where Sbisa is purely a left side defenceman as far as I know. You can only have so many on the ice at any given time, so after Hamhuis and Edler, there'll only really be one more left side D in the lineup any given night.

Similar idea with Weber and Corrado (and Sanguinetti) as they're all right handed defencemen, although Corrado has played his off side in junior. They'll be competing for one spot and Stanton/Sbisa will be competing for the other, unless the Canucks plan on moving someone to their off side.

Except Garrison played on his off side, the right, where Sbisa is purely a left side defenceman as far as I know. You can only have so many on the ice at any given time, so after Hamhuis and Edler, there'll only really be one more left side D in the lineup any given night.

Similar idea with Weber and Corrado (and Sanguinetti) as they're all right handed defencemen, although Corrado has played his off side in junior. They'll be competing for one spot and Stanton/Sbisa will be competing for the other, unless the Canucks plan on moving someone to their off side.

I thought Stanton played on the right side a few times last year? Although, I'm probably wrong.

I thought Stanton played on the right side a few times last year? Although, I'm probably wrong.

I'm sure he switched over out of necessity at some point, it happens during a game to most players, but I don't think I'd buy stock in him being successful at it over a whole year. Even if he were capable, he'd be competing again with Weber, Corrado and Sanguinetti for the one spot behind Bieksa and Tanev, so it's not like it'd be an increased role of any kind.

sorry im not sure how any of you think hamhuis or tanev have any offensive ability because they dont. they have great positional play and defensive ability but. in all reality my wrist shot is harder than tanevs i think weber edler and bieska will be good on pp but unless sbisa has a huge shot our 2nd unit pp is in real trouble again

Take a peek at some Hamhuis highlights Travella, he has a knack for being around the puck. Good or bad he is always in on the play. With a new system that can utilize his full talents you will be surprised :)

Edler: 35-40 points (I have a really good feeling about him for next season)

Hamhuis: 31 points

Bieksa: 25 points

Tanev: 20 points

Sbisa: 22 points

Stanton: 12 points

I really think we'll be fine, the real question mark is Edler.

These are scary realistic numbers, hoping for a little more from Stanton though.

Uhhh...Sbisa? lol

He is 24 with a 24 point season under his belt.

Not positive on his minutes but I think it was between 13-18 per night?

That puts him on the second line.

No lie, he had a rough season. But only played 30 games.

Tanev will step up. Sbisa will bring it. And Stanton will continue shining in a 3rd line role. Garrison's points won't be missed. But his shot might be.

I am not worried about our D whatsoever.

I'm not saying Garrison was the 2nd coming of whoever, but the level of crap that guy is taking here is off the charts. Sheeesh, Jason "New Edler" Garrison. You don't get 33 points unless you are a gifted offensive dman, that is just reality. Just like you don't get to be a Pimp unless you facilitate women selling their bodies for money.

Edler - 35 pts

Bieksa - 25 pts

Hammer - 22 pts

Tanev - 20 pts

Sbisa - 16 pts

Stanton - 9 pts

Weber - 7 pts

Corrado - 4 pts

I think you may be mistaking Garrison with someone else. Jason Garrison's offensive tools outside of his shot are absolutely awful. Passing, skating, movement on the pp, first pass, rushing the puck up the ice... he can not do any of these things well. He is a defensemen who is good positianally in the D zone, and is good at coming out with the puck in board battles.

Archived