The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Old games (PRE PS2/XBOX/GAMECUBE ERA)

Patrick Kane

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a working NES a couple of days ago. I haven't had one since my mom gave my old, barely functional one to the Salvation Army 18 years ago. I don't begrudge that, but I wish I still had the 25 or so games that she gave away with it, lol. I'm going to have to re-purchase a bunch of games. But I look forward to playing it.

Next stop is to purchase a SNES. Maybe also a Genesis. Luckily my old N64 is still alive and kicking.

I sold my vintage game collection consisting of SNES, NES and Genesis consoles with pretty much every game worth owning for each system (except all of the rare RPG's for SNES0 for $900 so I could buy a Destiny PS4 Bundle....

I feel like I have sold my childhood and just hope that the "nest gen" is worth it.

in all honesty tho the collection was sitting in my basement gathering dust and I can download any of those games I really want to play.

• 1 month later...

Naming a few here,

NES - Super Mario Bros, Metal Gear, P.O.W., Legend of Zelda, 31 Games(came with a bunch of games on it, I played it a lot. Included ExciteBike and Battle Tanks)

SNES - Mario Paint, Kirby Superstar, Super Mario World, A Link to the Past

N64 - Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, Bomberman 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros., Mario Party and the sequels, Mario Tennis, Paper Mario, Kirby: Crystal Shards, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Hexen, Duke Nukem 64, Mischief Makers, Rampage 64. Probably lots I'm not thinking of.

Gameboy Colour: Pokemon Blue+Gold, Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages

Gameboy Advance: Golden Sun, Pokemon Ruby, Metroid Fusion, Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland,

SEGA GENESIS: Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3 and Sonic+Knuckles, Clay Fighter, Indy Car

Never had a PS1 in my house but did go over to a friends to play Crash Bandicoot, FF7 and Syphon Filter a bunch.

I play FF 7,8,9, & Tactics every now and again. Will play one per year and rotate usually for the next year.

Also enjoy Crash Bandicoot and Spyro from time to time.

Older games were the best, I also miss the wacky cartoony games that used to be the norm on N64 like Banjo Kazooie, Mario Party, Donkey Kong, Tonic Trouble, etc. I have a PS4 mainly for the new NHL games and it seems it's mostly shooters these days. My two favorite shooting games of all time were Golden Eye and Perfect Dark for N64. The last newer game I played where you shoot was Ratchet & Clank which is also one of very few cartoony games for the new generation consoles.

I lent my Pokemon Gold/Red/Teal Gameboy Color to a friend back in Jr High and never got them back. Now all I have are the memories. Really miss the older games, especially the ones for N64 as it's my all time favorite console and might start a collection at some point!

• 2 months later...

Just bought a PS1, and a new copy of Final Fantasy VIII (Sealed and untouched). I went looking for a Genesis or a SNES, but I came back from the Flea Market with this.

This is the first Sony console I've every actually owned in my life, lol. I mean I will be getting a PS4 soon/eventually, but this is now the first. About 20 years late to the scene, lol.

Also got Smackdown 2, and a couple of old Maddens.

All else I really want is Chrono Cross, Metal Gear Solid, and Resident Evil 2 and 3. A couple of others would be fine, but these are the major ones.

Just bought a PS1, and a new copy of Final Fantasy VIII (Sealed and untouched). I went looking for a Genesis or a SNES, but I came back from the Flea Market with this.

This is the first Sony console I've every actually owned in my life, lol. I mean I will be getting a PS4 soon/eventually, but this is now the first. About 20 years late to the scene, lol.

Also got Smackdown 2, and a couple of old Maddens.

All else I really want is Chrono Cross, Metal Gear Solid, and Resident Evil 2 and 3. A couple of others would be fine, but these are the major ones.

Seriously? In that case you need to get a PS2. There were so many good games on it you couldnt play anywhere else. Try Jak and Daxter or Ratchet/Clank.

Seriously? In that case you need to get a PS2. There were so many good games on it you couldnt play anywhere else. Try Jak and Daxter or Ratchet/Clank.

The PS2 is amazing. Every gamer needs one

Yeah, I've played a lot of PS2 games, and a lot of them are great, but I wouldn't have any real desire to own any of them outside of Shadow of the Colossus, and maybe Metal Gear Solid 3. A lot of games overall, but I already have or can get my hands on them for another console. Those are probably the only 2 exclusives.

I care a lot more about those PS1 games personally.

As of now I have a NES, N64, PS1, GBA, GameCube, XBOX 360, 3DS, and a Wii U. Since the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii, GBA with Gameboy, and 3DS with DS, all I need now is a SNES and Genesis to round out owning all the consoles I could care about.

Wish that the PS4 was backwards compatible, but non-Nintendo companies seem to have killed that concept, sadly.

Lets see:

SNES: Chrono Trigger, FF3(6), Lufia II, Secret of Mana

Sega Genesis: Shining Force 1 and 2, Phantasy Star 4

Old PC: Ultima 7 and anything Wing Commander

PS1: Parasite Eve 2, FF 7/8/9, Grandia, Legend of Dragoon, Lunar silver story complete/Eternal blue Complete, FF tactics, Wild Arms 1/2

Archived