The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone drive above the posted speed limit?

ChrisCo!

Common courtesy is asking too much? Where was I asking you to risk a speeding ticket? Most of what I was saying is give yourself and others space to maneuver, if you're side by side with another vehicle neither of you has room if you have to swerve to avoid something (dog, child, car or bike coming out of a driveway)

I am going to do what the law requires me to do. There is no such law to force me to get out of the way for faster traffic (for roads slower than 80km/h), therefore, I am not going to do it. If you have encountered me and you are in a hurry, that's too bad. You can tailgate me for all you want, I ain't going to move or speed for you. Learn your lesson and plan better next time. If you are enraged by me driving at speed limit, seek help.

I am going to do what the law requires me to do. There is no such law to force me to get out of the way for faster traffic (for roads slower than 80km/h), therefore, I am not going to do it. If you have encountered me and you are in a hurry, that's too bad. You can tailgate me for all you want, I ain't going to move or speed for you. Learn your lesson and plan better next time. If you are enraged by me driving at speed limit, seek help.

Its more you're arrogance and lack of courtesy and common sense that annoy me, fortunately I live about 4000 miles away and will likely never encounter you on a road or anywhere else.

I find it amusing that you can miss the point by so much. Clearly trolling. ignore

Like I said, I am simply following the law. No law requires me to make ways for faster traffic on the left lane (for roads slower than 80km/h), therefore I ain't going to do it, and clearly I am not breaking any laws while doing this.

Now, who is the troll again?

The speeder has become the norm because the posted speed limits are outdated. Take 140th street (50km/h) in Surrey. You will never catch anyone going below 60 on it because that's become the norm. Going 50 on 140th feels like going through a school zone for 10km.

Look at the stretch of Highway 10 between 172 and 152. 4 lanes and a center diver for most of it. Pretty much flat and a straight line. Speed limit is 80 km/h. No reason it shouldn't be 100 km/h, its the going speed on that stretch. I've even found myself going 120 just to keep up with the flow of traffic.

Most speed limits are a complete joke and set low on purpose for revenue generation.

Look at the stretch of Highway 10 between 172 and 152. 4 lanes and a center diver for most of it. Pretty much flat and a straight line. Speed limit is 80 km/h. No reason it shouldn't be 100 km/h, its the going speed on that stretch. I've even found myself going 120 just to keep up with the flow of traffic.

Most speed limits are a complete joke and set low on purpose for revenue generation.

So you want to go with the "flow" and risk getting a ticket for speeding? Why?

I find it amusing that it is now considered arrogant and lack of courtesy to follow the law.

Have you ever watch the Canada's Worst Driver? You remind me of the parking lot drill, where some people see the objective as parking properly (within the law) where the actual objective is to be courteous to others around you considering there's one less spot than there are cars to park.

By the way, as well as common courtesy to yield to other drivers around you when safe to do so, there are two types of signs that would apply: keep right except to pass, and slower traffic keep right. Here's something that maybe you should know:

http://drivesmartbc.ca/lanes/left-lane-blockers

No one likes a left lane blocker. These are the drivers who inhabit the left hand lane on multiple laned roadway and are oblivious to the traffic behind them that want to pass by. Clearly, they believe that if they are travelling at or close to the speed limit, there is no need for them to move over to the right hand lane for others.

If you are driving in the left hand lane and you are driving at a speed less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing, you must drive in the right hand lane if it is practical to do so. It is important to note that the words speed limit do not appear anywhere in the last sentence. If you are slower, move over. If you choose not to, you are at risk of being ticketed for failing to keep to the right unless it is unreasonable to do so.

There is no mention of nor restriction to roads of 80km/h or greater. You may want to note a link to the actual MVA section (Driver on right) at the bottom of that page.

There is no reason to pass any car, unless they are driving way under the limit. If they are driving at speed limit, it doesn't mean you can exceed the speed limit to pass them. If you do that, you should get a speeding ticket. If you are late or in a hurry. That's too bad, plan better next time.

There are always situation where you will be slowed down at traffic, if you are enraged because someone is driving slowly. Then you are the problem, not the slow driver... There are therapy sessions for people with such symptoms.

How arbitrary.

Commercial and utility vehicles rarely drive the speed limit. If the speed limit is 90 and I'm stuck behind a bus going 75, I'm going to pass it. You're assuming every vehicle on the road is traveling exactly the speed limit. You must not drive behind those grannies going 20 in a 40 zone very often!!!

Archived