The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Travel Thread

Jägermeister

I guess I'm the only one here who also takes into consideration a destination's business environment and suitability for investment by judging factors like macroeconomic health, tax rates, local entrepreneurship culture, cost-of-living, ease of immigration and citizenship acquisition, etc, etc...?

I know we must have some people on here who are in to travelling, and I'm sure there is a lot of interesting trips, questions, recommendations, and stories people have to share!

The past 2 summers I have been to Europe for 5 weeks each time. Both times staying primarily in hostels and the odd apartment rental. Interestingly enough, both these trips were brought on by a desire to attend a musical festival (the first in Belgium, the second in Croatia).

Summer 1 consisted of mostly the Western, started of in Munich before rolling through Italy, the South of France, Barcelona, Paris, Belgium (just for the music festival), Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, and then back to Munich. Summer 2 was spent more so in the Eastern region. Started off in Budapest, then spent around 3 weeks along the coast in Croatia, before heading to Ljubljana (Slovenia).

Without a doubt, Prague and Budapest have been my favourite cities. Both are incredibly cheap, filled with tons of things to do, have beautiful views and architecture, and crazy nightlife. Would recommend to anybody who is ever planning on going to Europe, especially since they may be afterthoughts in some peoples mind compared to more glitzy cities like Paris and Rome.

This coming year I am going to travel to Australia for a month (first time travelling alone), then am going straight to Southeast Asia for just over 3 months. Again, primarily going to stay in hostels.

In Australia I am currently planning on going to Surfers Paradise, Airlie Beach, the Whitsundays, Byron Bay, Melbourne, and Canberra, and I have to go to Perth (flying to Cambodia afterwards), Cairns (to fly to Perth) and Sydney (flying in for Vancouver).

So mostly just the East Coast, but I would love to go check out the outback and Ayer's Rock for a few days if feasible.

Then in Southeast Asia I am going to be starting in Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Indonesia. Since this trip is going to be quite long, it is going to be relatively unstructured and laid-back, and hasn't really been fully planned at the moment outside of the very general (dates and countries).

I would love to hear if anyone has been to Australia or Southeast Asia and would have any recommendations!

I know we must have some people on here who are in to travelling, and I'm sure there is a lot of interesting trips, questions, recommendations, and stories people have to share!

The past 2 summers I have been to Europe for 5 weeks each time. Both times staying primarily in hostels and the odd apartment rental. Interestingly enough, both these trips were brought on by a desire to attend a musical festival (the first in Belgium, the second in Croatia).

Summer 1 consisted of mostly the Western, started of in Munich before rolling through Italy, the South of France, Barcelona, Paris, Belgium (just for the music festival), Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, and then back to Munich. Summer 2 was spent more so in the Eastern region. Started off in Budapest, then spent around 3 weeks along the coast in Croatia, before heading to Ljubljana (Slovenia).

Without a doubt, Prague and Budapest have been my favourite cities. Both are incredibly cheap, filled with tons of things to do, have beautiful views and architecture, and crazy nightlife. Would recommend to anybody who is ever planning on going to Europe, especially since they may be afterthoughts in some peoples mind compared to more glitzy cities like Paris and Rome.

This coming year I am going to travel to Australia for a month (first time travelling alone), then am going straight to Southeast Asia for just over 3 months. Again, primarily going to stay in hostels.

In Australia I am currently planning on going to Surfers Paradise, Airlie Beach, the Whitsundays, Byron Bay, Melbourne, and Canberra, and I have to go to Perth (flying to Cambodia afterwards), Cairns (to fly to Perth) and Sydney (flying in for Vancouver).

So mostly just the East Coast, but I would love to go check out the outback and Ayer's Rock for a few days if feasible.

Then in Southeast Asia I am going to be starting in Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Indonesia. Since this trip is going to be quite long, it is going to be relatively unstructured and laid-back, and hasn't really been fully planned at the moment outside of the very general (dates and countries).

I would love to hear if anyone has been to Australia or Southeast Asia and would have any recommendations!

I went to west oz in '97....im 38 now so I turned 21 there....I went to WA cos I had made friends with some aussies on a trip to Europe a couple years prior....they visited me when I was home so the plan was to go and visit them and travel WA for six months and the on to south east asia.

I applied for a work visa before I left Vancouver so I could work legally in oz and save $ for asia...

Lol I partied hard in ozzy as the small group of friends grew with their friends and so on so I only ended up spending two months in Indonesia.

Flew to bali from perth for 99 $ then rented mopeds and motorcycles for the next two months to go to lombok, gili air, and java (south coast)

I cant say enough for indo. Had one od my best trips there. Friendly locs, killer beaches and I only spent 1200 $ in two months for food accom motor bike and surfboard rental.

By the end of my furst weekin bali I had already made local friendships....one fellah took me to his parents restaurant, a locals pool hall where I was the only white guy and he drove to the airport to pick up my gf at the time who flew in from Vancouver.

I remember watching de la hoya fight Camacho at my hostel with a dozen Balinese dudes...they all bet against me on Camacho who lost....lol...they all paid up too....of course I gave it all back...great folk there...

I never went to a rave....I never got out of control drunk or never did drugs there...I just saw a few temples, fed a few monkeys, met great people from indo as well as other travelers and surfed alot.

There was no internet back then. I used a book and a roll with it attitude. Ye gottaleave your expectations, assumptions and western mentality at home and just go have fun and always smile.

That was '97....pre bali bombings, pre 911, pre fear. But from what ive heard from others Indo is still awesome.

I guess I'm the only one here who also takes into consideration a destination's business environment and suitability for investment by judging factors like macroeconomic health, tax rates, local entrepreneurship culture, cost-of-living, ease of immigration and citizenship acquisition, etc, etc...?

Productivity is why smart investors are in Asia and South America. Why invest in the sham Fed-funded US stock market that's doomed to fail when you can invest in real gold (not paper gold), mining companies, oil companies.. resources, overall? It's an easy profit.

Yes, I'm sure you would...it's just that you also act to protect yourself from being stolen from by the government...caught in a double-standard, indeed.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/362906-police-state-kanada-legally-stealing-from-others/

Lol. Good on you for remembering a 2-month old post I guess.

I think you took that whole statement about me being willing to steal booze from a baby a bit too seriously.

And I also declare the things I bring in, if I'm not going to pay duty it is on the discretion of the customs agent, not because I am withholding information.

Anyways, this isn't a thread about my view on taxes.

Lol. Good on you for remembering a 2-month old post I guess.

I think you took that whole statement about me being willing to steal booze from a baby a bit too seriously.

And I also declare the things I bring in, if I'm not going to pay duty it is on the discretion of the customs agent, not because I am withholding information.

Anyways, this isn't a thread about my view on taxes.

No, it isn't and I'm not doing so to pick on you...I was just pointing out a logical inconsistency.

But you're still young and display your willingness to learn more about the world by doing it in the best possible way...by putting your feet on the ground. And I greatly commend and fully respect you for that...and for being able to stay in hostels...

Plus, I actually was happy for you that you didn't have to pay customs duties on your import...because you shouldn't have to.

lol. You're like a fox news caricature. What the hell does a nations business environment have to do with whether or not you'd want to go there to travel?

• 4 months later...

Has anyone been to Argentina and can you recommend any bars where I can watch the playoffs while there (particularly in Buenos Aires, I'm not expecting there to be much interest in Salta or Jujuy)?

Apparently "Casa Bar" in Buenos Aires is a big American sports bar, showing all sports including Hockey.

Apparently "Casa Bar" in Buenos Aires is a big American sports bar, showing all sports including Hockey.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot and see if I run into any Canadian expats. My Spanish is poor at best so I'm sure I'll be glad to run into any English speakers after a few days.

You heard of the blue dollar rate?

Indeed I have. Bringing US dollars with me as I've heard they get the best rate. Everything seems like it's reasonably good value there. And I jumped on an error fare and got my flights (return) for about $400.

• 10 months later...
On 10/16/2014 at 11:39 AM, Darkstar said:

Do you have an approximate date for when you're going to Southeast Asia? Myself and a few friends may potentially be headed down there as well. Would love to hear some tips and stories from people who have been to the area (primarily Vietnam and Cambodia). We'll also be staying in hostels.

Ended up going backpacking for a month around Thailand.

Headed down to Southeast Asia this April for a few months. Vietnam and Cambodia are guaranteed this time, but still having questions as to whether to go down to India (Southern Half) and Sri Lanka, Laos and Burma, or Malaysia and Indonesia. Too many destinations, not enough time :(. 

14 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Ended up going backpacking for a month around Thailand.

Headed down to Southeast Asia this April for a few months. Vietnam and Cambodia are guaranteed this time, but still having questions as to whether to go down to India (Southern Half) and Sri Lanka, Laos and Burma, or Malaysia and Indonesia. Too many destinations, not enough time :(. 

Ahh man I'm so jealous.  Sounds like you're going about the same route I did.  I did Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, and a few places in Indonesia.  If you need any more tips or info feel free to ask.

Vietnam is a must, probably my favourite country in the region.  Super easy to travel through by bus, dirt cheap, friendly people, and no shortage of things to do no matter what you are looking for.

Indonesia is tricky since it takes some time to hop island to island, but it is phenomenal.  If you're strapped for time and can only visit a few spots I fully recommend Gili T just off Bali.  Beautiful little island that (for the most part) has zero police presence so you can get away with things there that you can't get away with in the rest of the country.  But if you want to do Indonesia right you're going to need to take you're time there.

Planning on visiting the area again next year, if you end up getting to Laos or Burma share your experiences.  Going to both spots and could always use some more info.

On 1/22/2016 at 2:33 PM, Jägermeister said:

Ahh man I'm so jealous.  Sounds like you're going about the same route I did.  I did Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, and a few places in Indonesia.  If you need any more tips or info feel free to ask.

Vietnam is a must, probably my favourite country in the region.  Super easy to travel through by bus, dirt cheap, friendly people, and no shortage of things to do no matter what you are looking for.

Indonesia is tricky since it takes some time to hop island to island, but it is phenomenal.  If you're strapped for time and can only visit a few spots I fully recommend Gili T just off Bali.  Beautiful little island that (for the most part) has zero police presence so you can get away with things there that you can't get away with in the rest of the country.  But if you want to do Indonesia right you're going to need to take you're time there.

Planning on visiting the area again next year, if you end up getting to Laos or Burma share your experiences.  Going to both spots and could always use some more info.

Good to know :).

It's great to hear something positive about Vietnam. When I was on the road in Thailand, a lot of travelers told me how much they hated Vietnam. Talked about how unfriendly the people were, the marked up prices for backpackers (even though it should be expected), etc. Also have heard the positives of Vietnam, but it was strange to hear all these negative reviews of it.

I've never heard of Gili T. I'll definitely look it up more. The whole island hopping thing might turn us away from Indonesia though. Might just not have enough time for it.

If we head down to Laos and Burma I'll definitely share some stories and tips!

• 2 weeks later...

Traveled a lot back when I was living in Hong Kong due to its proximity to nearby asian countries (Thailand, Taiwan, China, Japan, South Korea)  I have also been to Australia and New Zealand.  When I still lived with my folks, summers were usually spent going to China and to the United States/Canada.  I did visit Europe back in 2000 for the first time and then a decade later.  Now settling down in the US, overseas trips are rare due to time and money. 

Living in the US, I find that Americans tend not to travel to countries over the bodies of water.  May I ask those living North of the border, in a typical 8-5 job, how much vacation time on average do companies provide?  Do the majority of Candians prefer to travel overseas rather than with in the borders or vice versa?

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Taking a short break in January to Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and Singapore.

Kind of excited. I've always thought of Singapore as being a little sterile but it seems like there's plenty to do if you look for it.

Wat Po in Bangkok is a must see. Oh and take the time to figure out the Sky Train it'll save you a lot of time wasted in taxis.

Make sure you have a "Singapore Sling" in Singapore. It's really sweet, but you got to do it once.

Archived