The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN1040 Midday Show Feb 12/2015

Robongo

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/benning-on-tsn1040-midday-show-1.206370

The gist:

- May be a slow deadline around the league. A lot of General Managers are nervous about taking on contracts with term beyond this season because of the uncertainty with the salary cap.

- Kicked tires on Evander Kane but doesn't sound like they were very close. Got a text from Chevy the morning of saying Canucks were out as they made a bigger deal.

- Brandon McMillan was added because they are looking to add players in the 22-26 age group. Says Brandon is relentless night to night and does all the little things well, a do everything kind of player. We ran into injuries and wanted to make sure they are covered with character players that show up every night and give them a chance to win. Wanted depth for the stretch drive.

- Still doesn't know when Richardson will be back. Thought it would be day-to-day but they're still waiting for his foot to keep improving.

- Doesn't know when Bonino will be back. Taking it day by day. Could be a week, could be a couple.

- Will sit down as a group and determine which UFA's to bring back. Still hasn't done that yet so no negotiations have begun with any of the soon to be UFA's. Wants to see where the salary cap will be next year.

- Have been negotiating with Chris Tanev. Tanev is part of our core and wants to get him done. The negotiations are going well and hopes to have something done sooner rather than later.

- Says most teams happy with their goalies in season and expects there to be more of a market for goalies during the draft. Will continue to monitor it during the season but a goalie trade will probably happen around the draft.

- Management have a good idea of the plan for the present and moving forward. They'll continue to be active talking to other GMs to see what's available and the price to get players but with an eye on the future.

- Finds it perplexing that the team seems to get up for the tough teams and play real good but other games when he thinks we are going to do well, we seem to have a tough time. They are still trying to figure that out but like our team overall.

*yawn* wake me the next time he does something to improve our team. These interview just pander to the uneducated. We all know he can really say anything, it's the same regurgitated stuff. I don't blame him, but MacMillan?

I liked Vrbata and Miller, was not a fan of Dorsett but can eat crow there. Everything else is filling spots we have 5 other guys in the minors that could fill. Clendening, Stanton, Weber, Corrado, Sangria etc... fill the bottom 2 pairings.

1/2 the Comets roster could fill the bottom 6 or 3 at forward. I would rather called up Cal, Nick, or Hunter.

*yawn* wake me the next time he does something to improve our team. These interview just pander to the uneducated. We all know he can really say anything, it's the same regurgitated stuff. I don't blame him, but MacMillan?

I liked Vrbata and Miller, was not a fan of Dorsett but can eat crow there. Everything else is filling spots we have 5 other guys in the minors that could fill. Clendening, Stanton, Weber, Corrado, Sangria etc... fill the bottom 2 pairings.

1/2 the Comets roster could fill the bottom 6 or 3 at forward. I would rather called up Cal, Nick, or Hunter.

Its called development, this isn't Edmonton.

Dammit man let those guys gel in AHL, give them this year to work as a team to make the playoffs and then hopefully make some noise in the playoffs, that is best for their development and I can almost guarntee we will see those guys next season.

Its called development, this isn't Edmonton.

You're right, Edmonton makes moves, has a plethora of young talent and Stanley cups. Not to say what they are doing is right, but it worked somewhere along the way.

Our team trends towards mediocrity year after year. We just hear the same garbage every year. Trade the Sedins if you have to.

You're right, Edmonton makes moves, has a plethora of young talent and Stanley cups. Not to say what they are doing is right, but it worked somewhere along the way.

Our team trends towards mediocrity year after year. We just hear the same garbage every year. Trade the Sedins if you have to.

Lmao you have got to be kidding me.

The only time what Edmonton did "worked" was when they drafted the best player in the history of the game, signed a bunch of super starts because their owner had deep pockets (I don't know if you recall but there was no salary cap back then) and they had a dynasty.

Edmonton has been terrible ever since.

You don't seem to realize that this isn't NHL 15 where you can trade for superstars and instantly turn around your team. Benning has improved this club for the future and present.

Go back into your cave.

Where is the minus button when you need it? Your posts are usually better than that shocked seeing this from you.

trade the twins then it won't be a business. you need those names so fans come to the games still. but ya i hear ya.

Lolol now I know you must be trolling!!! Edmonton won a cup through drafting one of the best generational players of all time.. And with as many high picks as they have had lately... They should at least be making the playoffs... But yet they are in the Mcdavid sweepstakes!! Lol. Brick smart like brick :)

Like that tanev sounds promising.

Interesting about the goalie trade, would have thought he'd move him at deadline

From my understanding you'd then have to put Markstrom through waivers and he'd most likely be picked up right? Or is it when they're under 25 that they can be moved up and not claimed but moved if they're moved down then they can be claimed?

Not to say you are an out-and-out troll,but you're trolling.

1992-1993-did not qualify for Playoffs

1993-1994-did not qualify for Playoffs

1994-1995-did not qualify for Playoffs

1995-1996-did not qualify for Playoffs

2001-2002-did not qualify for Playoffs

2003-2004-did not qualify for Playoffs

Lockout year

2006-2007-did not qualify for Playoffs

2007-2008-did not qualify for Playoffs

2008-2009-did not qualify for Playoffs

2009-2010-did not qualify for Playoffs

2010-2011-did not qualify for Playoffs

2011-2012-did not qualify for Playoffs

2012-2013-did not qualify for Playoffs

2013-2014-did not qualify for Playoffs

How about we trade you to Edmonton,Brick?

I'm grateful you are not the GM.

Lolol now I know you must be trolling!!! Edmonton won a cup through drafting one of the best generational players of all time.. And with as many high picks as they have had lately... They should at least be making the playoffs... But yet they are in the Mcdavid sweepstakes!! Lol. Brick smart like brick :)

Edmonton didnt draft gretzky. They purchased his contract from indianapolis while they were in the WHL.

Archived