The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Riots Reported In Baltimore After The Funeral Of Freddie Gray

SabreFan1

I think the issue is a little more complicated than gang culture. Gang culture is a natural response that isn't unique to blacks in the US.

Blacks face discrimination in every facet of society. In health, they're thought to feel less pain than white people, and are treated as such. In drugs, they're wrongly perceived as selling more than white people. Literally a third has done time in prison, mostly for drugs - a victimless crime, and released convicts don't face great job odds. One really just has to remember the 2008 election, when the true America showed its colors. The country is broken. Inequality is reaching such levels that the cracks are becoming more obvious. It's bad for everyone, but blacks were already worse off. As the middle class dwindles, and more and more people need three jobs to live on, blacks can't even get the three jobs. Read the thirteenth amendment, consider the numbers of blacks in prison and the fact prisons are for profit, and tell me slavery is dead.

Forming gangs is literally what you should expect desperate people in poverty to do. Russia? Full of gangs. South America? Full of gangs. Asia? Full of gangs. It's not blacks.

Add the notorious youth gangs in the rapidly urbanizing Native communities in the prairies too.

This

But how?

I wish I had the answer.

Education is an obvious need. Too many students not caring in school and the ones that do are bullied.

Teenage pregnancy is rampant with incompetent mothers and absentee fathers.

Kids are recruited young into gangs.

It's just a huge mess with no end in sight.

The first step to improving is admitting you have a problem instead of blaming others. Until that happens, I don't have much hope.

Archived