The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Riots Reported In Baltimore After The Funeral Of Freddie Gray

SabreFan1

There are bad people everywhere. Doesn't matter if they're white, black, brown, Asian, Mexican, etc. However, when there are stats like a third of black males are jailed in their lifetime, why don't they take any responsibility for that? Generally, if you're not committing a crime, police are there to help you. That doesn't mean police aren't responsible for the lack of respect and judgment they show these people once they are in custody. But these protesters chanting black lives matter have the wrong attitude and aren't helping.

I don't have population numbers but I know there are a lot of Hispanics in America. A lot of them are impoverished, poor families that have to go through the same disadvantages as African Americans do. But when I turn on the tv I don't see news headlines like Mexican man runs from police, is beaten and killed, rioters burn down Los Angeles. I think the reason that more blacks are in jail is because they commit more crimes. And they deserve to be in there. I think it's a culture thing. Rap music culture specifically. It's a lifestyle choice to let your pants hang down around your ass, sell drugs and post Facebook pics of yourself holding a gun in the mirror. And it seems that it's more predominantly a black thing to do. A select few are ruining reputations for the majority. Much in the same way that since 9/11 Americans think all Muslims are terrorists. If you don't want to be put into a position where the police are going to put their hands on you, don't give them a reason to.

Too many people are losing their lives over completely preventable situations.

Michael Brown, steals cigars from a shop, slaps around shop owner, jay walks, fights with a cop. Killed. Wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been acting like a thug.

Freddie Gray, sees a cop, runs, cops arrest him, throw him in wagon, he loses it in the wagon so they have to put shackles on him, dies. Would it have happened if he didn't run from the police? Impossible to know but I don't think so.

People are dying because of the poor choices they made and the response is to burn police cars, fight cops, loot and destroy stores! Not only are they not helping their own cause but they're reinforcing the already unfair and negative stereotypes.

Police aren't perfect. Some of the officers involved should be fired and or face charges. But ffs, stop blaming others for your own mistakes. If you don't want to be treated like thugs, stop acting like them.

I suggest you do a little more research. First of all, rap music features violence, because that's what rappers grow up with. There are a some rap songs that do glorify violence, but even then, rather than blaming music, we need to look at the real issues, such as the cycle of poverty, largely brought about by years of segregation and discrimination. It's like blaming video games or rock music for violence when the perpetrators had other much more significant issues.

This does not mean that individual black criminals are not responsible for the crimes they commit (including the rioters). And it may be true that blacks are more likely to commit certain crimes. However, even when accounting for situations where blacks have a higher crime rate, they are still disproportionately targeted by law enforcement. One example if the "stop and frisk" tactic in New York, where blacks and latinos are the ones stopped the vast majority of the time, and are in fact most of the time completely innocent. Another example is the war on drugs, where black are are nearly 4 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession (and receive much stiffer sentences on average) than whites, despite similar usage rates.

It doesn't matter what the stereotypes are or whether they are true, it is never acceptable for police to stop innocent people on suspicion of a crime without a good reason. Being black, or wearing your pants low, or listening to rap music, are not good reasons. It happens to people of all races, but black people are targeted the most. This is not about the black people committing crimes and getting caught, it's about the black people who are innocent and still come under police suspicion. It's also about white people committing the same crimes black people do and still getting better treatment. To act like racial profiling doesn't exist is ignorant, and to act like it's justified is downright racist.

I suggest you do a little more research. First of all, rap music features violence, because that's what rappers grow up with. There are a some rap songs that do glorify violence, but even then, rather than blaming music, we need to look at the real issues, such as the cycle of poverty, largely brought about by years of segregation and discrimination. It's like blaming video games or rock music for violence when the perpetrators had other much more significant issues.

its 2015. Poverty shouldn't exist in America anymore. There's more than enough wealth in the country to eliminate it. I don't blame rap music for the actions of criminals but it's not exactly promoting healthy living and love your neighbor type scenarios. I know that's not the point of it but I'm hoping you get what I mean.

This does not mean that individual black criminals are not responsible for the crimes they commit (including the rioters). And it may be true that blacks are more likely to commit certain crimes. However, even when accounting for situations where blacks have a higher crime rate, they are still disproportionately targeted by law enforcement. One example if the "stop and frisk" tactic in New York, where blacks and latinos are the ones stopped the vast majority of the time, and are in fact most of the time completely innocent. Another example is the war on drugs, where black are are nearly 4 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession (and receive much stiffer sentences on average) than whites, despite similar usage rates.

having policemen wear cameras at all times should bring about more accountability. I hope so anyway. Marijuana should be decriminalized but it's murica so who knows.

It doesn't matter what the stereotypes are or whether they are true, it is never acceptable for police to stop innocent people on suspicion of a crime without a good reason. Being black, or wearing your pants low, or listening to rap music, are not good reasons. It happens to people of all races, but black people are targeted the most. This is not about the black people committing crimes and getting caught, it's about the black people who are innocent and still come under police suspicion. It's also about white people committing the same crimes black people do and still getting better treatment. To act like racial profiling doesn't exist is ignorant, and to act like it's justified is downright racist.

I hope that with police having to wear cameras they won't be able to get away with profiling but I don't know if that's completely realistic. It's a step in the right direction at least. Any officer caught doing anything outside of the law should be subject to the same penalty a criminal would receive. Perhaps even harsher because they are supposed to uphold the law.

I understand the argument that people use for why people in poverty commit crimes. Not just black people but anyone. However I don't think that should be used as an excuse. There are plenty of people all over the world living in horrible conditions and they don't turn to a life of crime. At some point you make a decision. Be a hard working, respectable, productive member of society. Or be a thug.

There are bad people everywhere. Doesn't matter if they're white, black, brown, Asian, Mexican, etc. However, when there are stats like a third of black males are jailed in their lifetime, why don't they take any responsibility for that? Generally, if you're not committing a crime, police are there to help you. That doesn't mean police aren't responsible for the lack of respect and judgment they show these people once they are in custody. But these protesters chanting black lives matter have the wrong attitude and aren't helping.

I don't have population numbers but I know there are a lot of Hispanics in America. A lot of them are impoverished, poor families that have to go through the same disadvantages as African Americans do. But when I turn on the tv I don't see news headlines like Mexican man runs from police, is beaten and killed, rioters burn down Los Angeles. I think the reason that more blacks are in jail is because they commit more crimes. And they deserve to be in there. I think it's a culture thing. Rap music culture specifically. It's a lifestyle choice to let your pants hang down around your ass, sell drugs and post Facebook pics of yourself holding a gun in the mirror. And it seems that it's more predominantly a black thing to do. A select few are ruining reputations for the majority. Much in the same way that since 9/11 Americans think all Muslims are terrorists. If you don't want to be put into a position where the police are going to put their hands on you, don't give them a reason to.

Too many people are losing their lives over completely preventable situations.

Michael Brown, steals cigars from a shop, slaps around shop owner, jay walks, fights with a cop. Killed. Wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been acting like a thug.

Freddie Gray, sees a cop, runs, cops arrest him, throw him in wagon, he loses it in the wagon so they have to put shackles on him, dies. Would it have happened if he didn't run from the police? Impossible to know but I don't think so.

People are dying because of the poor choices they made and the response is to burn police cars, fight cops, loot and destroy stores! Not only are they not helping their own cause but they're reinforcing the already unfair and negative stereotypes.

Police aren't perfect. Some of the officers involved should be fired and or face charges. But ffs, stop blaming others for your own mistakes. If you don't want to be treated like thugs, stop acting like them.

Lots of malicious social engineering went into creating today's Black ghetto culture, assisted by the fact that most of the jobs that other ethnic groups were able to use to rise out of poverty were long gone by the time they started becoming acceptable to mainstream America in the '90s.

Hispanics gang members actually outnumber Black ones by a huge margin (IIRC 55% of U.S. gang members are Hispanic vs 28% Black), but outside of a few areas they aren't traditionally profiled and discriminated against nearly as heavily.

The whole modern gang/thug culture was actually started by Hispanics and the Blacks basically copied it and ran with it.

What they need to do is copy the Hispanic's sense of positive unity and economic drive, instead of allowing themselves to be used as domestic boogeymen and engineered pawns.

Freddie Gray Arrest Record

Gray had a lengthy arrest record with convictions dating back until at least 2007, according to the Maryland Department of Justice. Not all of the arrests led to convictions, in many of the cases he pleaded guilty to one charge while the others were dropped. Details of when he spent time in prison were not immediately available. His arrest record includes at least 18 arrests:

• March 20, 2015: Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance
  • March 13, 2015: Malicious destruction of property, second-degree assault
  • January 20, 2015: Fourth-degree burglary, trespassing
  • January 14, 2015: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute
  • December 31, 2014: Possession of narcotics with intent to distribute
  • December 14, 2014: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance
  • August 31, 2014: Illegal gambling, trespassing
  • January 25, 2014: Possession of marijuana
  • September 28, 2013: Distribution of narcotics, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, second-degree assault, second-degree escape
  • April 13, 2012: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, violation of probation
  • July 16, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession with intent to distribute
  • March 28, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
  • March 14, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to manufacture and distribute
  • February 11, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance
  • August 29, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, violation of probation
  • August 28, 2007: Possession of marijuana
  • August 23, 2007: False statement to a peace officer, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
  • July 16, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance (2 counts)
Baltimore police say gangs 'teaming up' to take out officers

Look at this chronologically....it started when he just turned 17. It seems to me he was tuned into a criminal by the system that hunted him rather than helped him.

He was involved in drugs until a 5 year absence from his record....I'm assuming jail time. He got much worse after his release.

If there aren't many of you who couldn't see yourself in his place, if the cops where relentlessly pulling you over for minor drug violations every week during summer break between grade 11 and 12, then I think you'd be being disingenuous.

Why is his record do so long? Because drugs convictions of black teenagers in Baltimore is more important to police than other approaches. That's all this story is. Drugs and the War on it.

I hope that with police having to wear cameras they won't be able to get away with profiling but I don't know if that's completely realistic. It's a step in the right direction at least. Any officer caught doing anything outside of the law should be subject to the same penalty a criminal would receive. Perhaps even harsher because they are supposed to uphold the law.

I understand the argument that people use for why people in poverty commit crimes. Not just black people but anyone. However I don't think that should be used as an excuse. There are plenty of people all over the world living in horrible conditions and they don't turn to a life of crime. At some point you make a decision. Be a hard working, respectable, productive member of society. Or be a thug.

It's not excuse, if you go and beat up someone, you can't say "I grew up poor" and then be found innocent. If you're mentally sound, you're responsible for your actions.

However...that doesn't mean it's okay to have institutions that subject entire groups of people to profiling and discrimination. Poverty and discrimination are linked to crime all over the world. Even if it doesn't absolve a person of responsibility for committing a crime...does that make it okay? Does it mean we shouldn't try to get rid of the factors that unfairly stack the cards against black people?

It's not excuse, if you go and beat up someone, you can't say "I grew up poor" and then be found innocent. If you're mentally sound, you're responsible for your actions.

However...that doesn't mean it's okay to have institutions that subject entire groups of people to profiling and discrimination. Poverty and discrimination are linked to crime all over the world. Even if it doesn't absolve a person of responsibility for committing a crime...does that make it okay? Does it mean we shouldn't try to get rid of the factors that unfairly stack the cards against black people?

People's actions and beliefs spout out from their experiences. You grow up in a gang of thieves, and without any intervention, you're highly likely to become one yourself.

Like you said, get rid of the factors that stack the cards against black people (or whoever else). Unfortunately, that will probably never happen.

Archived