The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Brock was my favorite prospect in our range by far. I think he'll make a great line mate for Horvat one day... he's less electric than virtanen but that shot is a cannon. McCann,Shink and Virtanen will be a gritty electric line to wear down the opposition while the other line will have a finishing touch.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Shinkaruk-McCann-Virtanen

I can't believe people still think that Schroeder and Jensen were BPA.

Still?!?

This fanbase has almost no hope.

Schroeder wasn't the best player available in 2009? I was under the impression he was one of the most skilled players in that draft and picking him at 22 was a no-brainer.

Would you please elaborate who you considered as the BPA at that point?

Brock was my favorite prospect in our range by far. I think he'll make a great line mate for Horvat one day... he's less electric than virtanen but that shot is a cannon. McCann,Shink and Virtanen will be a gritty electric line to wear down the opposition while the other line will have a finishing touch.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Shinkaruk-McCann-Virtanen

Yep, now we just need a 1st line and some more D and we're set.

Dont mind this pick as much as my first reaction due to Kylington still being able. Still believe Boeser will be a good player and insurance for Kass and Jensen if they dont pan out. I know COL wants LD, but maybe they will be willing to get Juice for the 31st.

1. At first glance, Boeser's 35 goals, 68 pts season doesn't exactly pop, but thats a team goal % of 19%, and team point % of 37%.

2. Waterloo (USHL) wasn't a strong offensive team, and Boeser carried the water offensively. 3rd overall in USHL scoring

3. How does Boeser's 19% team goals, 37% team points compare to top names? Marner 13%/47%. Strome 11%/29%, Barzal 6%/42%, Meier 13%/43%

5. This was a night were some teams were given gifts (Jets) and lots of teams reached (Boston x 3).

6. Vancouver didn't reach, but didn't get ridiculously lucky like teams picking after Boston. They just picked a really good prospect

That's pretty high praise from someone who writes at CanucksArmy.

I'm starting to like this pick more and more.

Ok. This kid may be a good pick, but I've been watching drafts since the 80's. I followed Kamloops in their heyday in the 90's. However, tonight I'm thinking Kelowna D-man Merkley. A WHL'er d-man. The path of Keith, Edler, et. al. Grab him. basics. But what do I know.

Ok. This kid may be a good pick, but I've been watching drafts since the 80's. I followed Kamloops in their heyday in the 90's. However, tonight I'm thinking Kelowna D-man Merkley. A WHL'er d-man. The path of Keith, Edler, et. al. Grab him. basics. But what do I know.

Sorry, but if I may be blunt, Merkley is a forward

Edited by Shadow Assassin
  • Upvote 3

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/26/first-look-canucks-draft-brock-boeser-23rd-overall

About 27% of Boeser's draft season comparables went on to play in the NHL. Of those 27%on average they scored 35 points per 82 game season.

Sounds like we would be lucky if Boeser turns into a 3rd liner for us.

This tool echoes Canucks Army cohort success model: http://www.theprojectionproject.com/Home/Search

Big risk on upside by Benning. Can't help but think there were less risky players with higher upside still available.

Probably worth mentioning that Drance's article (also posted on Canucks Army) says the following:

Over 40 percent of the 17-year-olds who were a similar build and scored at a similar rate in the USHL managed to play over 200 games in the NHL, and forwards Kyle Okposo and Justin Abdelkader are included among his comparables.

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/26/canucks-select-brock-boeser-with-23rd-overall-pick

And given that PCS modeling is in its infancy, and Rhys himself admits it likely underrates USHL players, it might be a tad early to start putting "3rd liner" limits on this player's upside or considering this to be a "risky" pick.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about Boeser's chances of developing into a pretty good player (based on everything I've seen and heard) and I actually find this one to be a pretty easy pick to get behind (even if he wasn't my first choice).

• Upvote 1

Everyone shut up about Kylington.

We want big character guys, not soft guys with attitude problems. We want someone who wants to win and will do what it takes to win. Boeser is that guy, he fits are team build perfectly.

For sure. If you're a player like Kyl or Sprong you can GTFO. Team player or nothing.

What do you guys think of a comparison to last years draft pick David pastrnak? Brock could make the team in a couple years with his decent size.

Robin Kovac is david pastrnak

Boeser is a poor mans virtanen

Edited by Gstank29

People are upset because they know very little of Brock Boeser and associate the knowing less of him meaning he is not a great prospect. Also the less exposure of who he is makes him a less "sexy" prospect because you don't know him or clearly haven't seen him.

At first I was a bit surprised by the pick because I didn't know much about him. But digging around the Internet I've learnt a lot more about Brock and if you guys weren't so ignorant you would understand what an awesome draft pick he is.

I'm so much more thrilled because I have a better understanding of the player he is and where he comes from. pretty sure you all will change your tune once you do the same and actually do some digging instead of taking surface level information.

• Upvote 4

People are upset because they know very little of Brock Boeser and associate the knowing less of him meaning he is not a great prospect. Also the less exposure of who he is makes him a less "sexy" prospect because you don't know him or clearly haven't seen him.

At first I was a bit surprised by the pick because I didn't know much about him. But digging around the Internet I've learnt a lot more about Brock and if you guys weren't so ignorant you would understand what an awesome draft pick he is.

I'm so much more thrilled because I have a better understanding of the player he is and where he comes from. pretty sure you all will change your tune once you do the same and actually do some digging instead of taking surface level information.

Exactly people are always fishing for the big names even when they aren't the best players/fits for our team