The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Really good pick. I think the USHL is very underrated, a lot of later 1st round and 2nd round picks become really solid players. Kyle Okposo, Sam Gagner, Jeff Petry, Max Pacioretty, John Carlson, Justin Abdelkader, David Backes, Keith Ballard, Matt Carle, Alex Chiasson, Justin Faulk, John Gibson, Zemgus Girgensons, Alex Goligoski, Matt Greene, Martin Hanzal, Seth Jones, Rostislav Klesla, Dylan Larkin*, J.T. Miller, John Moore, Matt Nieto, T.J. Oshie, Brandon Saad, Jaden Schwartz, Paul Stastny, Mark Stuart, Jared Tinordi, Jacob Trouba, Thomas Vanek, Patrick Wiercoch, Jimmy Hayes, Blake Wheeler

35 goals is very impressive. Here are USHL goal totals at draft year (in some cases 1 year before or after) amongst a number of successful NHLers:

Okposo: 27G 50GP

Gagner: 11G 56GP

Pacioretty: 21G 60GP

Abdelkader: 27G 60GP

Backes: 28G 57 GP

Chiasson: 17G 57GP

Girgensons: 24G 49GP

Hanzal: 4G 19GP

J.T. Miller: 3G 21GP

Nieto: 14G 21GP

Saad: 12G 24GP

Oshie: 3G 11GP

Schwartz: 33G 60GP

Stastny: 30G 56GP

Vanek: 46G 53GP

Hayes: 4G 21GP

Wheeler: 19G 58GP

Boeser is in some very good company. Only Vanek scored more goals, and he is an elite level sniper.

I would expect Boeser to be in the 40-50 point range, and a guy who regularly scores 20 goals and might hit 30 once or twice.

Pavelski had a very similar draft year when he was at Waterloo, he was a 6th rounder though.

Some interesting stats (at least for me).

In the CDC Consensus thread, 12% of voters had Brock Boeser has their 1st choice at 23. Only player with more votes for the 1st choice at 23rd overall was Oliver Kylington. Boeser was also the forward with the most votes with 24% of voters having him in their top 3 at 23rd overall.

Pavelski had a very similar draft year when he was at Waterloo, he was a 6th rounder though.

Amazing eh. I went through 1st and 2nd round picks only. It seems that the USHL wasn't really taken seriously up until about 2006. So many steals. And a lot of guys who play in the USHL and go to the CHL tend to put up way bigger numbers in the CHL so it certainly isn't an easy or high scoring league. If only we took the chance on Pavelski instead of country music star Chad Brownlee.

Really good pick. I think the USHL is very underrated, a lot of later 1st round and 2nd round picks become really solid players.

Kyle Okposo, Sam Gagner, Jeff Petry, Max Pacioretty, John Carlson, Justin Abdelkader, David Backes, Keith Ballard, Matt Carle, Alex Chiasson, Justin Faulk, John Gibson, Zemgus Girgensons, Alex Goligoski, Matt Greene, Martin Hanzal, Seth Jones, Rostislav Klesla, Dylan Larkin*, J.T. Miller, John Moore, Matt Nieto, T.J. Oshie, Brandon Saad, Jaden Schwartz, Paul Stastny, Mark Stuart, Jared Tinordi, Jacob Trouba, Thomas Vanek, Patrick Wiercoch, Jimmy Hayes, Blake Wheeler

35 goals is very impressive. Here are USHL goal totals at draft year (in some cases 1 year before or after) amongst a number of successful NHLers:

Okposo: 27G 50GP

Gagner: 11G 56GP

Pacioretty: 21G 60GP

Abdelkader: 27G 60GP

Backes: 28G 57 GP

Chiasson: 17G 57GP

Girgensons: 24G 49GP

Hanzal: 4G 19GP

J.T. Miller: 3G 21GP

Nieto: 14G 21GP

Saad: 12G 24GP

Oshie: 3G 11GP

Schwartz: 33G 60GP

Stastny: 30G 56GP

Vanek: 46G 53GP

Hayes: 4G 21GP

Wheeler: 19G 58GP

Boeser is in some very good company. Only Vanek scored more goals, and he is an elite level sniper.

I would expect Boeser to be in the 40-50 point range, and a guy who regularly scores 20 goals and might hit 30 once or twice.

Wow. When you put it like that, he is seriously in good company. To further add, he was one of the youngest players this year in the USHL and put up those numbers as a rookie!

To make you feel even better about him, here are the players the University of North Dakota has produced.

As per Undsports.com:

Joe Finley

Matt Frattin

Matt Greene

Brian Lee

Brad Malone

Brock Nelson

TJ Oshie

Zach Parise

Chris Porter

Drew Stafford

Johnny Toews

Chris Vandavelde

Travis Zajac

Also not a bad list to have your name be part of. Some great players have been produced there. He already comes with a dynamic skill set, I think he should see little problem in honing it. I am feeling better and better about this pick. Somehow, at 23, we manage to find an offensive dynamo. I see him fitting in greatly. I love the fact that his 200 foot game and work ethic are known plus's. That's how you build a core. Great overall player.

Wow. When you put it like that, he is seriously in good company. To further add, he was one of the youngest players this year in the USHL and put up those numbers as a rookie!

To make you feel even better about him, here are the players the University of North Dakota has produced.

As per Undsports.com:

Joe Finley

Matt Frattin

Matt Greene

Brian Lee

Brad Malone

Brock Nelson

TJ Oshie

Zach Parise

Chris Porter

Drew Stafford

Johnny Toews

Chris Vandavelde

Travis Zajac

Also not a bad list to have your name be part of. Some great players have been produced there. He already comes with a dynamic skill set, I think he should see little problem in honing it. I am feeling better and better about this pick. Somehow, at 23, we manage to find an offensive dynamo. I see him fitting in greatly. I love the fact that his 200 foot game and work ethic are known plus's. That's how you build a core. Great overall player.

Yea a 23rd overall with serious 30'goal potential is always good. I am very high on Konecny but I like the pick nonetheless. Now if he called Bittner I would have died.

Having Virtanen and Boeser as our top 6 future RWers sounds great to me

wow. his weakness is physical play? yes he's 6'0 190 lbs (maybe) and he's expected to be a power foward????

they "hope" he becomes a top 6 winger?????

sigh......

we are "hoping" Virtannen becomes a top 6 winger for us

we are "hoping" Boeser becomes a top 6 winger for us.....

sigh...... I don't know.... at least it's not Carlo Or Bittner I guess. 200 foot player, we'll see what happens.

Him being a Minnsota boy, I'm just afraid he pulls a Justin Shultz or a Reiley , or a Blake Wheeler on us. I'm so scared right now that he will do that.

wow. his weakness is physical play? yes he's 6'0 190 lbs (maybe) and he's expected to be a power foward????

they "hope" he becomes a top 6 winger?????

sigh......

we are "hoping" Virtannen becomes a top 6 winger for us

we are "hoping" Boeser becomes a top 6 winger for us.....

sigh...... I don't know.... at least it's not Carlo Or Bittner I guess. 200 foot player, we'll see what happens.

Him being a Minnsota boy, I'm just afraid he pulls a Justin Shultz or a Reiley , or a Blake Wheeler on us. I'm so scared right now that he will do that.

1. Justin Schultz is from BC

2. Blake Wheeler never left his team to join the Wild

3. Learn to spell for God's sake

• Upvote 3