The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

It's a good point on "how are they gonna check", but if a player squeals or if there's accusations of teams 'poaching' players, it'll be a massive scandal - resulting in University teams being wary of NHL teams.

Schroeder came and White did too, but they were looking to turn pro. They were definitely motivated.

It's too bad White was never able to do anything.

Demko was here for the prospects camp too.

No one is going to care. Trust benning at this point. He's seen more of him then we all did. I'm just worried he might check and become a ufa in 4 years.

can you imagine that? every friday night we are checking up on his stats, always following him only and he leaves us oh my.

OH my, ... Minnesota was just a brief example of what might happen, lets not talk about Minnesota, he can go become a ufa for any other team then ok? maybe he chooses a team closer to home to stay with his family? have you ever thought of that??? Kid's American. It was pretty clear, Shultz and Reiley didn't want to sign with the teams that drafted them. The loss I guess is not as big, Shultz was a second round pick, Reily was a 3rd round pick, for crying out loud, Boeser is a 1st round pick as for Wheeler, of course I don't want this to happen, but can it happen? no crap it can. so many loopholes drafting these college bound players.

I get the concern. It's an issue for anyone who goes to college. If the risk was that great, why draft American college prospects at all? It's no better than drafting a Russian who could easily go back to the KHL if they feel it's in their best interest. Lots of examples of this happening, too (Burmistrov, Radulov etc.).

I don't get why you're putting extra focus on Americans. You keep mentioning Schultz. He ditched the team that drafted him and he's Canadian like we both know. Naturally you'll see more Americans do what Reilly did because more high-profile US prospects take the college route. The reasons for leaving (more ice time, playing closer to home, salary demands) are largely the same for both Canadians and Americans.

There's still a better chance he does end up signing than not. Just as one example, Johnny Gaudreau could have left Calgary and didn't. Trust the process for the time being and worry if he hasn't signed a contract two or three years from now.

@MoneyPuck_:

1. At first glance, Boeser's 35 goals, 68 pts season doesn't exactly pop, but thats a team goal % of 19%, and team point % of 37%.

@draftbuzzhockey:

@MoneyPuck_ Top goals% in any junior league, and competitive first round pick pts%.

@MoneyPuck_:

2. Waterloo (USHL) wasn't a strong offensive team, and Boeser carried the water offensively. 3rd overall in USHL scoring

@MoneyPuck_:

3. How does Boeser's 19% team goals, 37% team points compare to top names? Marner 13%/47%. Strome 11%/29%, Barzal 6%/42%, Meier 13%/43%

@MoneyPuck_:

4. PCS% was 27% (31st ranked in draft). Statistically, he's a worthy choice in the range of a number of worthy choices

@MoneyPuck_:

5. This was a night were some teams were given gifts (Jets) and lots of teams reached (Boston x 3).

@MoneyPuck_:

6. Vancouver didn't reach, but didn't get ridiculously lucky like teams picking after Boston. They just picked a really good prospect

So Boeser put up the third most points in the USHL behind Kyle Connor and and Adam Johnson (who is 21 years old), was tied for the most goals last season in the USHL, all while playing on a below average team. Both Connor and Johnson played for the top teams in their conference, by comparison Boeser played for a team that would rank in 10th out of 18 spots in the league. So when you look at it like that his numbers are much more impressive. Really feeling like there's some serious potential there. Also Connor's had mutple teammates in the top 10 in scoring meaning he was on a high scoring team including team mate Maxim who was tied for 4th in scoring in the league. Where as the next Boeser teammate would be in at 26th. Not to mention his closest comparable according to advanced stats is forward Kyle Okposo of the NYIslanders and has more offensive upside too, again can't emphasise enough, according to advanced stats which is a huge plus! ....All this while dealing with personal tragedy, guys, I'm thinking we got a steal of a pick.

• Upvote 4