The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

I wish we would see Subban up this season.  But he is down there like Virt.  Trying to get the team to the playoffs.  If subban isn't dealt this season next year will be his chance to prove himself at the nhl level.  I hope to hell he gets the defensive side of the game so we can see him in nux colours!  We could use some offensive talent from the backend not named Y. Weber and P. Larsen.  Please lordie save us from this pain!

30 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I think Subban's done all he can to earn a shot for this organization. Move him in the offseason and give him a fresh start.

I can appreciate the sentiment.

But just to play devil's advocate, one might argue the organization is already giving him a shot. He has a pro contract and a role with good icetime and opportunities on the farm team.

We continue to read reports like the quote two posts above that suggest his defensive game remains a work in progress. I would imagine that, if and when he locks that down, he'll definitely make it to "The Show."

Until he does, however, there's a legitimate argument that he still needs to hone his craft further before he truly can be said to "deserve" to play in the NHL.

Unless Subban has plateaued as a player, and simply won't get better defensively, he can still put in work to improve his game.

If that's the case, his future is entirely in his own hands, and he'll make it whenever he manages to actually put everything together that's required to become an NHL regular.

That all said, the other side of the coin is that he probably should get some games before this season's done, just to see where he's at when he's actually playing the game at the NHL level. For some guys, it doesn't really "click" until they actually get into that environment (and they're at a point where they're ready to take advantage). And in those cases, it can sometimes be as simple as playing a few NHL games, having success, earning a spot, and never looking back.

On 3/18/2017 at 2:10 AM, Rush17 said:

I wish we would see Subban up this season.  But he is down there like Virt.  Trying to get the team to the playoffs.  If subban isn't dealt this season next year will be his chance to prove himself at the nhl level.  I hope to hell he gets the defensive side of the game so we can see him in nux colours!  We could use some offensive talent from the backend not named Y. Weber and P. Larsen.  Please lordie save us from this pain!

Weber left a long time ago, what are you talking about?

He has played 71 games and is +1 for Nashville this season. :)

On 3/18/2017 at 0:46 AM, Chip Kelly said:

Heard on 1040 Benning says Canucks will look to the draft to add a pp QB.

They have d right under their noses to Spark the po who can rush the puck make a good breakout and walk the line to get hisv$&!# through.

Or he can see you to unload his one t at 100 MPH.

I think we can trust Benning to know a good defender. Maybe he just needs more coaching in his defensive duties.

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Weber left a long time ago, what are you talking about?

He has played 71 games and is +1 for Nashville this season. :)

I know :D just comparing those types of players who have competed here the past 2 seasons :D

On 3/21/2017 at 0:12 AM, Mathew Barzal said:

I think Subban's done all he can to earn a shot for this organization. Move him in the offseason and give him a fresh start.

He's 22 and only played 2 professional seasons.

Right now he is in the exact place he should be.  Next season will be a lot more telling if he is in the teams plans or not.  If he doesn't get any NHL games in by the time we are to re-sign him, it will be pretty evident that he is not.

On 2017-03-20 at 3:08 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Offensively, great season. The defensive side is what everyone's talking about with him. There's good and bad nights." - Ben Birnell (Utica Comets reporter) on Subban

Is he really that much of a question mark/liability as a defenceman? I guess I must be seeing something different, but, I've yet to see anything from young Subban to indicate he'd be any less responsible defensively than Hutton. I think people are/were so desperate for points from the back line that they've been willing to overlook Hutton's failures as a defensive defenceman. Yet, for whatever reason, Subban isn't afforded the same long leash. Now, with Stetcher in the mix - in exactly the spot Subban would likely be - who knows what his future as a Canuck holds. Particularly, if the reasoning for keeping him down continues to be questions about his defensive capabilities or how he moves without the puck or whatever else they come up with. 

I call B.S. on that as long as Hutton continues to get a pass by comparison. And, out of curiosity, 

Id love to know the reasoning behind him being converted to a defenceman in the first place. 

3 hours ago, Dusty_Undies said:

Ok Jim!,

You know what to do. Stecher's out and Subban cant be anymore of an obvious fit. $&!# or get off the pot. Let's see what we got, it's now or never for giving Jordan a well deserved shot at playing with the big boys. 

I think he used the he's real important for Utica excuse. But but McEneny played an NHL game before Subban?

No way he gets called up they only have 2 recalls left.

Next year has got to be Subban's last chance with the organization. If he doesn't have a breakthrough on the 1st team he will likely be transferred.

32 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Larsson plays if needed. Neither McEneny or Subban should be called up as Utica fights for playoffs. The priority org need is for Utica to make playoffs. Van should be sending players down not recalling players.

My thoughts as well.

Archived