The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) next two yrs vets and rookies

So we have 4 rookies that are pushing for spots Virtanen, McCann, Hutton, Gaunce

Plus 5-6 second yr players Kenins, Horvat, Markstrom, Baertchi, Corrado

As I see it all these players are outplaying the cushy core even though benning keeps bringing in vets and signing them to long term deals even tho the youth would have done the job like Lack-Markstrom combo versus Miller.

Sedins our still gonna get us 60-70 points each a yr

Sutter and Horvat will share second and third line duties

Edler and Tanev are steady vets on long term pretty decent deals

Miller and markstrom are great until that Boston college demo is ready in 3-4 yrs

Hansen hard worker pk guy hands of stone makes takes lazy penalties from time to time cap 2.5 mill

Should be traded I'd rather youngster make mistakes

Higgins hard worker 2.5 mill cap hit No shows in playoffs like Hansen

Dorset plays hard every night good fourth liner will protect youngsters

Prust same as Dorsett

Burrows plays hard and can play 1st to 4th always tries hard I see him finishing his contract out unless he's traded at deadline or bought out next yr

Cracknell great 4th line centre local be boy hits and plays hard

Hamhuis makes 4.5 mill is slowing down even though he has Olympic pedigree one goal last yr on last night of Reg season in a meaningless game he needs to be traded by deadline if not sooner I'm sure a few contenders would give a 1st for him (ducks, pens, habs, wings, nyr, isles) in my eyes he's been a massive failure for us last yr underachieved please benning don't resign him

Sbisa bit of a overpayment on contract but hopefully he plays better this season if not waive him or unload him at deadline

Weber has great pp moves but is weak gets pushed off puck isn't rugged enough for playoff hockey trade him asap for anything

Bartoski fast skater mobile helps us get out of zone

Vrbata sniper let him light it up until trade deadline get max value for him from a contender 1st and 2nd should be what we get seeing that's what vermette got at deadline last yr

Vey weak gets knocked off puck can't win a draw if he wanted what a waste of a second rounder

Baertchi looks good on pp and will be a threat in Reg season on second line

Corrado ok 3rd pairing dman

Horvat great speed wins key facesoffs will be our mvp this yr

Kenins hustles and hits if on his game on cheap contract

Gaunce hustles hits scores 200 ft game

McCann needs 20 pounds of muscle but has 1st line hockey smarts 200ft game

Jake Virtanen elite skater hitter needs to learn pro game hopefully offence will develop hope he game 9 game audition

Hutton best dman in preseason so far has offensive plus mobile quick and smart potential top 2 dman

Grenier will be a call up thus yr and in 2 yrs will be a fourth or 3rd line grinder

Shinkaruk will learn more in Utica should make team next yr and will be called up this yr if injuries strike

Cassels will learn pro game on comets and hopefully be fully healthy will be a good centre in a few yrs for us

What do you guys think of my rating on these guys

i'ld rather read bennings assessment of these players...and how they fit into his plans...i could see hutton getting nhl games, along with gaunce until higgins gets back and mccain .....i see virtanen as the heir apparent to vrbata....they will not rush the young guys but do what's best for them and the team....

Canucks finally had some prospects and they are pushing for spots. It’s a good feeling. It really is making it hard trying to forecast what are lineup will looking like in two years, without even considering trades.

RW

Canucks really don’t have the depth on the right wing. Especially after we move out Vbrata this year. Burrows next summer will be a 35 year old turning 36, with a cap hit of 4.5 and I’d rather have Hansen as 3rd line winger than Vey. Even if canucks sign Lucic to play RW (he’s naturally left) on the line with the twins we still don’t have much RW depth. Mgmt was hoping Jensen or Grenier would step up but we haven’t seen it yet. Barring any trades I’d say we keep Hansen until we have a suitable replacement, which could be until Boeser looks NHL ready which could be 2-4s year away.

LW

The left wing we have a log jam. Shinkaruk, Kenins, Gaunce, Baertschi and even McCann are all fighting for spots. Daniel is a lock for the next 3 years and I think we can all expect Higgins to be dealt this year. Prust could be a short term gap and might not have a roster spot, therefor not resigned next summer. Playing off wing isn’t that big of a deal either so we could see a player like Kenins forced to play on the right side. If he could learn some better defense he could be a solid 3rd line RW.

C

Another log Jam down the middle. McCann has looked great this preseason and he will get his 9 games. Ultimately I think he ends up getting sent down, we don’t want to rush prospects but it’s nice to see some close to NHL ready prospects. Horvat (20), McCann (19), Cassels (20), Sutter (26), long term canucks are in good hands.

D

It’s great that we finally have something to be excited about on D with Hutton. He will likely start this year in the AHL and finished the year in the NHL once canucks deal Hamhuis. Pedan, Corrado and don’t forget big Tryamkin, canucks have some young D in the system. We still could use a Bonafide #1 guy.

Players I expect to be traded this year are:

Higgins, Vbrata, Hamhuis

Players that could be added into the package:

Jensen, Kenins, Weber, possibly Shinkaruk and Burrows

The real question is, if we are trading these pieces what is it in return that canucks are looking for. Draft picks? More higher end prospect? Roster players? The good thing about having lots of prospects is that if a high talent player ever becomes available (Ryan Johansen) we have guys we are able to part with, without destroying our cupboard.

In two years (summer of 2017) without no trades or signs (which will happen).

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Sedin Sedin Shinkaruk

McCann Sutter Kenins

Gaunce Cassels Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Corrado

Tryamkin Pedan

Markstrom

Demko

i'ld rather read bennings assessment of these players...and how they fit into his plans...i could see hutton getting nhl games, along with gaunce until higgins gets back and mccain .....i see virtanen as the heir apparent to vrbata....they will not rush the young guys but do what's best for them and the team....

Well no $&!# wouldn't we all? It just so happens that Benning doesn't post on CDC.

What do you guys think of my rating on these guys

Well, since you asked ...

there's enough divergence of views on CDC that people aren't going to agree with everything someone says. I certainly don't.

So we have 4 rookies that are pushing for spots Virtanen, McCann, Hutton, Gaunce

Plus 5-6 second yr players Kenins, Horvat, Markstrom, Baertchi, Corrado

As I see it all these players are outplaying the cushy core

Cushy core? Huh? Anyway, I haven't seen the same preseason as you, obviously. I don't think Kenins and Corrado are outplaying the core at all. Baertschi and Virtanen haven't been as impressive as I'd hoped either. I'd agree that McCann, Hutton and Gaunce are making a serious push for spots and Horvat and Markstrom have looked good.

Sedins our still gonna get us 60-70 points each a yr That's about the most we can hope for. It could be worse if their decline speeds up, but they've looked pretty good at holding off the effects of age so far.

Sutter and Horvat will share second and third line duties Ok there.

Edler and Tanev are steady vets on long term pretty decent deals Ok.

Miller and markstrom are great until that Boston college demo is ready in 3-4 yrs Your confidence exceeds mine. I'd be surprised if Miller is great for another 3-4 years and please note his contract has 2 years to run. I like Markstrom's game and hope he'll be good for a few years. As for demo (sic) it's hard to predict development of young goalies but your estimate that he'll be an NHL goalie and when he'll be ready seems reasonable enough.

Hansen hard worker pk guy hands of stone makes takes lazy penalties from time to time cap 2.5 mill

Should be traded I'd rather youngster make mistakes Couldn't disagree more except the hard worker part. Hansen is a smart and fast vet with, as you point out, hands of stone. He's good defensively and good for the team.

You say you'd rather "youngster make mistakes." Certainly if you scrap Hansen for a rookie you'll get the entertaining sight of far more mistakes made.

Higgins hard worker 2.5 mill cap hit No shows in playoffs like Hansen He actually managed 2 pts in 6 games with +/-0 in the 2015 playoffs. He wasn't great, but I think you're overstating when you call him a no show. The Canucks as a whole were pretty poor and I don't think it's fair to single out Higgins over others as a no-show. Still has value, but ultimately he could well be pushed out of a job before his contract expires in the summer of 2017.

Dorset plays hard every night good fourth liner will protect youngsters Imo "good fourth liner" is ok taking into account his role of sticking up for his teammates. Without that he's imo marginal.

Prust same as Dorsett pretty much

Burrows plays hard and can play 1st to 4th always tries hard I see him finishing his contract out unless he's traded at deadline or bought out next yr ok. I don't think they'll buy him out, though, unless he goes into a severe decline this season.

Cracknell great 4th line centre local be boy hits and plays hard It seems to me if he was truly a great 4th line center he'd have more than 82 regular season NHL games played before he reached 30 years of age. Career totals of 6 goals and 17 points on turning 30 aren't "great" even for a 4th liner. He MIGHT be a serviceable 4th line center, though imo he is really an AHL player.

Hamhuis makes 4.5 mill is slowing down even though he has Olympic pedigree one goal last yr on last night of Reg season in a meaningless game he needs to be traded by deadline if not sooner I'm sure a few contenders would give a 1st for him (ducks, pens, habs, wings, nyr, isles) in my eyes he's been a massive failure for us last yr underachieved please benning don't resign him

I'm a Hamhuis fan and didn't think he was operating at full speed last season because of aches and pains, then trying to get back up to speed when getting back after his groin injury. He finally showed what he could do in the World Championships doing well in a 1st pairing role. I think Canucks are taking the right tack in seeing how he does (and how future revenues might look) before making the decision on re-signing him, but I'd guess he will be extended. Then again, as a Smithers area guy whose kid played minor hockey with Hamhuis, I'm not objective on this one.

Sbisa bit of a overpayment on contract but hopefully he plays better this season if not waive him or unload him at deadline

I'm one of those that has a completely different view than you on Spisa's contract. I'd replace your words "bit of a" with "a huge." I think he makes too many mistakes to be considered more than a serviceable depth d-man who is paid what many teams would pay a middle pairing d-man. I'm not at all certain Benning could, even if he wanted to (which he pretty clearly doesn't, based on his contract extension) unload him short of taking on a bad contract, retaining 50% of his salary or possibly exposing him in an expansion draft.

Weber has great pp moves but is weak gets pushed off puck isn't rugged enough for playoff hockey trade him asap for anything I agree Weber is valuable on the pp. I also agree he gets pushed off the puck and isn't rugged, but think his team defence is decent enough to be of some value. I see him as a marginal d-man normally who did fine with Hamhuis and looks better this preseason than many others seem to think-imo he's played adequately as a depth d-man, and expect his main value will be on the pp. I'd keep him at least until the deadline and if he repeats his form of late last season wouldn't mind seeing him extended another year as a stepping stone to prospects making it. I would place him ahead of Sbisa and Corrado in current playing value (though not future value in Corrado's case.)

Bartoski fast skater mobile helps us get out of zone You're higher on Bartkowski than I am but it's still early to make judgments.

Vrbata sniper let him light it up until trade deadline get max value for him from a contender 1st and 2nd should be what we get seeing that's what vermette got at deadline last yr I'd be surprised to see someone give a 1st and 2nd for him, but then I'm sometimes surprised at the crazy amounts people occasionally give for rentals. I expect his production to fall this season.

Vey weak gets knocked off puck can't win a draw if he wanted what a waste of a second rounder I'm only slightly less negative about Vey than you are. I'd probably keep him as the depth forward this season and see where to go with him from how he does in that role.

Baertchi looks good on pp and will be a threat in Reg season on second line I'd like the real Sven Baertschi to please stand up soon. You've said about him what I would have said a month ago.

Corrado ok 3rd pairing dman disagree here-I don't see Corrado being ready. Perhaps soon the real Frank Corrado will stand up, but so far this preseason he's looking like an AHL d-man to me. he'll probably not be exposed to waivers so will remain with the Canucks.

Horvat great speed wins key facesoffs will be our mvp this yr "Great" speed????? I know he's no longer considered slow, but come on-great?? Overall, the expectations for this sophomore are imo too high-and I say that as someone who is high on his future and thinks he'll be a member of the Canucks core for years to come.

Kenins hustles and hits if on his game on cheap contract Ok, sorry to repeat myself, but will the real Ronalds Kenins please stand up? From the preseason as it's been so far, I've seen no reason he should beat out Gaunce for a spot with the Canucks and would send him to Utica. Where did the energy ball from last season go?

Gaunce hustles hits scores 200 ft game yes. I think he's capable of playing in the NHL now, but he may get a bit more time in Utica.

McCann needs 20 pounds of muscle but has 1st line hockey smarts 200ft game Gaunce is interesting-so far he appears to me to be making the team, but I am guessing Canucks will return him to junior either just before the season starts or after a short tryout period.

Jake Virtanen elite skater hitter needs to learn pro game hopefully offence will develop hope he game 9 game audition Virtanen is generally considered the Canucks best prospect, though Hutton and McCann may be challenging that. and Demko might also be considered despite his position. Nevertheless Virtanen is a very good prospect, with the size, strength and speed to play in the NHL but imo he still has quite a bit to work on. We'll have to see how he does in the remainder of the preseason. So far I'm not sure he's earned a 9 game tryout, but it may be close and that could change. He's an interesting enigma, poster boy for those that don't like the NHL-CHL agreement that players drafted from junior must (until age 20 or 4 completed major junior seasons) either play in the NHL or be returned to junior.

Hutton best dman in preseason so far has offensive plus mobile quick and smart potential top 2 dman Ok.

Grenier will be a call up thus yr and in 2 yrs will be a fourth or 3rd line grinder You're more optimistic than I'd be based on preseason. Again, this is pretty close to what I'd have said about him a month ago, but right now I think he has some progressing to do to ever become an NHL regular in any role.

Shinkaruk will learn more in Utica should make team next yr and will be called up this yr if injuries strike I'm hopeful that he'll progress as you say, but don't consider it a sure thing.

Cassels will learn pro game on comets and hopefully be fully healthy will be a good centre in a few yrs for us ok. It will be interesting and hopefully exciting to watch his development.

Apologies to all of those too young to have watched the old tv show "What's My Line?" and so won't recognize the wording "Will the real ____ please stand up?"

Well, since you asked ...

there's enough divergence of views on CDC that people aren't going to agree with everything someone says. I certainly don't.

Cushy core? Huh? Anyway, I haven't seen the same preseason as you, obviously. I don't think Kenins and Corrado are outplaying the core at all. Baertschi and Virtanen haven't been as impressive as I'd hoped either. I'd agree that McCann, Hutton and Gaunce are making a serious push for spots and Horvat and Markstrom have looked good.

Apologies to all of those too young to have watched the old tv show "What's My Line?" and so won't recognize the wording "Will the real ____ please stand up?"

I think cracknell is at least a hardworking solid 4th line centre I think he's more than Ahl player We will see at least he gives 100 percent

I don't think burrows or vrbata will decline for another few yrs they still have it but I could be wrong.

Horvat isn't a speed demon but he's not slow by any means

At least we finally came excited by the upcoming crop of prospects even our drafted players this yr looked not to bad, some are gonna be projects but maybe we got a few nice steals

Cudos to OP for the ambitious post.

There are a lot of moving parts and even 2 years down the road is difficult to predict. Barring a blockbuster deal (which I doubt will happen) I think it's possible to come close.

Other than the Sedin's, I think anybody who is 30 or older now, will be gone. (Miller, Burrows, Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins, Prust)

Young guys (or bubble players) who look like they could play within 2 years imo are: Grenier, Kenins, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Cassels, McCann, Virtanen, Demko, Boeser?

Temporary players who will be moved along: Vey

This leaves us with the following 2017-18 line up: Post Sedin is more interesting

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Sedin Sedin Sutter Shinkaruk McCann Boeser

Shinkaruk McCann Kenins Gaunce Sutter Grenier

Gaunce Cassels Grenier Kenins Cassels Stewart?

Edler Tanev

Hutton Corrado

Sbisa Pedan

Markstrom

Demko

Canucks finally had some prospects and they are pushing for spots. It’s a good feeling. It really is making it hard trying to forecast what are lineup will looking like in two years, without even considering trades.

RW

Canucks really don’t have the depth on the right wing. Especially after we move out Vbrata this year. Burrows next summer will be a 35 year old turning 36, with a cap hit of 4.5 and I’d rather have Hansen as 3rd line winger than Vey. Even if canucks sign Lucic to play RW (he’s naturally left) on the line with the twins we still don’t have much RW depth. Mgmt was hoping Jensen or Grenier would step up but we haven’t seen it yet. Barring any trades I’d say we keep Hansen until we have a suitable replacement, which could be until Boeser looks NHL ready which could be 2-4s year away.

LW

The left wing we have a log jam. Shinkaruk, Kenins, Gaunce, Baertschi and even McCann are all fighting for spots. Daniel is a lock for the next 3 years and I think we can all expect Higgins to be dealt this year. Prust could be a short term gap and might not have a roster spot, therefor not resigned next summer. Playing off wing isn’t that big of a deal either so we could see a player like Kenins forced to play on the right side. If he could learn some better defense he could be a solid 3rd line RW.

C

Another log Jam down the middle. McCann has looked great this preseason and he will get his 9 games. Ultimately I think he ends up getting sent down, we don’t want to rush prospects but it’s nice to see some close to NHL ready prospects. Horvat (20), McCann (19), Cassels (20), Sutter (26), long term canucks are in good hands.

D

It’s great that we finally have something to be excited about on D with Hutton. He will likely start this year in the AHL and finished the year in the NHL once canucks deal Hamhuis. Pedan, Corrado and don’t forget big Tryamkin, canucks have some young D in the system. We still could use a Bonafide #1 guy.

Players I expect to be traded this year are:

Higgins, Vbrata, Hamhuis

Players that could be added into the package:

Jensen, Kenins, Weber, possibly Shinkaruk and Burrows

The real question is, if we are trading these pieces what is it in return that canucks are looking for. Draft picks? More higher end prospect? Roster players? The good thing about having lots of prospects is that if a high talent player ever becomes available (Ryan Johansen) we have guys we are able to part with, without destroying our cupboard.

In two years (summer of 2017) without no trades or signs (which will happen).

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Sedin Sedin Shinkaruk

McCann Sutter Kenins

Gaunce Cassels Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Corrado

Tryamkin Pedan

Markstrom

Demko

Beartschi Horvat Virtanen

Sedin Sedin Lucic

Sutter McCann Hansen

Gaunce Cassels Dorsette

gone:

shinkaruk

burrows

higgins

Prust

Vey

Edler Tanev

Hutton ----

Hamhuis subban/Corrado

tryamkin

gone:

sbisa

weber

Bartowski

Markstrom

Demko

with a top 2 dman playing on that 2nd pair and good goaltending, that team could win a cup

Archived