The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Corrado claimed by Toronto Maple Leafs

Ok so please correct me if I'm wrong

If Corrado was waived again by Toronto, any team in the NHL can claim him, otherwise the Canucks get him back and he gets sent to Utica. But only if he gets waived again within 30 days of the Canucks waiving him.

Therefore Toronto claimed him, healthy scratched him for a few weeks, didn't play him, and sent him down for a conditioning stint for 2 weeks, after which the 30 days period was over. So Toronto found a loophole in the rules whereby they could consume 2 weeks of the Canucks re-claiming period by using part of that period for a conditioning stint.

I had no idea such a rule existed. In that case it might actually be strategically advantageous to wait the 30 days before putting him back on waivers. 

Ok so please correct me if I'm wrong

If Corrado was waived again by Toronto, any team in the NHL can claim him, otherwise the Canucks get him back and he gets sent to Utica. But only if he gets waived again within 30 days of the Canucks waiving him.

Therefore Toronto claimed him, healthy scratched him for a few weeks, didn't play him, and sent him down for a conditioning stint for 2 weeks, after which the 30 days period was over. So Toronto found a loophole in the rules whereby they could consume 2 weeks of the Canucks re-claiming period by using part of that period for a conditioning stint.

I could be wrong but, I think the 30 day period you are referring to is for a player that has actually 'cleared' waivers - which Corrado hasn't yet. Once they have cleared waivers they have a grace period of 30 days (or something like10 games) in which they can be called up and sent down without being subjected to waivers. Not sure that it applies to your scenario.  Unless you're talking about a totally different 30 day rule that I am not aware of. 

All the while, Matt_T83 is still feeling jipped.

Why resurface that?  Quite frankly it was a turd thing to say in the first place by you, and now it's like you are trying to gloating over the fact that you're a D bag. Bravo to you sir, mission accomplished. 

The bottom line is we lost one of our few defensive prospects to a system that is flawed and have the right to feel upset over the fact that nothing was done to stop it. 

Why resurface that?  Quite frankly it was a turd thing to say in the first place by you, and now it's like you are trying to gloating over the fact that you're a D bag. Bravo to you sir, mission accomplished. 

The bottom line is we lost one of our few defensive prospects to a system that is flawed and have the right to feel upset over the fact that nothing was done to stop it. 

The Canucks waived a marginal D player who got passed by an elite D prospect.

Now let’s see:
Kesler
8GP / 0G / 1A / 1pts / -4, selfish, no pass, slowing down, wanted out

Bonino
10GP / 2G / 1A / 3pts / 0, too slow

Bieksa
6GP / 0G / 0A / 0pts / -5, slowing down in grit, too slow

Lack
3GP / 1W / 2L / 3.61gaa / .852sv%, backup goalie

Kassian
Stage two rehab program, messed up in the head

Corrado
Can’t crack Leafs’ lineup

Clendening
1GP for Pittsburgh, too slow

2nd to ANA
Became McCann

Vey
Utica, passed by McCann, Virtanen
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Keeping Miller
10GP / 4W / 2L / 4OTL / 2.16gaa / .923sv%, Future HOF, is in perfect form

Sutter
12GP / 3G / 4A / 7pts / +3, speed, grit, leader, winner, NHL family tradition

Prust
(IR) 9GP / 0G / 5A / 5pts / +3, speed, grit, creates safe work environment

Horvat:
12GP / 2G / 2A / 4pts / -3, Speed, Grit, Future captain material

Hutton
12GP / 0G / 5A / 5pts / -1, speed, skill, seldom out of place, creates play, elite prospect, youthful energy

Virtanen
9GP / 1G / 2A / 3pts / +1, speed, skill, grit, youthful energy, power forward, only 19yrs old

McCann
10GP / 5G / 0A / 5pts / +2, speed, elite shot, elite skill, youthful energy, only 19 yrs old

The Canucks are also tops in the Pacific and currently sport a 6-2-4 record playing high energy, speed hockey that more often than not pays off.

Corrado...

You realize "jipped", which is actually spelt "gypped", is a pretty racist slur? 

Even though the image I had in my head when I wrote that comment was Travolta in Pulp Fiction, fine; the term looks like its racist. No harm intended toward anyone.

One day, the words milk, hello and shed will be racist terms.

On a side note, The Dictator (2012) is quite the racist movie and considering the era we're in, it is quite bad taste. Find that movie funny?

Even though the image I had in my head when I wrote that comment was Travolta in Pulp Fiction, fine; the term looks like its racist. No harm intended toward anyone.

On a side note, The Dictator (2012) is quite the racist movie and considering the era we're in, it is quite bad taste. Find that movie funny?

There is a difference between Satire and ignorantly using a word that is racist.

To be gypped means to be ripped off implying that all Gypsies are thieves.

If you don't know what Satire is, feel free to look it up... you don't need to try to justify or deflect your use of something that you didn't know to be racist. Now you know, so I'm sure you won't use it again in the future, that's all. 

There is a difference between Satire and ignorantly using a word that is racist.

If you don't know what Satire is, feel free to look it up... you don't need to try to justify or deflect your use of something that you didn't know to be racist. Now you know, so I'm sure you won't use it again in the future, that's all. 

"There is a difference between Satire and ignorantly using a word that is racist", indeed. However, The Dictator (2012) crosses the boundary between satire and racism and enters blatant racism.

Please do understand that a misinformed error was made here by me and did not need clarification on the matter. However, you chose to clarify the meaning of the word in question.

My question is and really, should NOT be since this is a hockey forum, of all people on this site, the one with a racist, I mean satire, display, you, are the one calling me on a now known, thanks to you, racist word.

But thanks for derailing this thread into a racist conversation. Think of that one for a bit. You brought it up. I was referencing Pulp Fiction.

Good luck.

Great reply. Me_, I'm assuming you didn't mean anything untoward by using that term - a lot of people that use it don't realize the context. Your defense, however, is way off base.

Phasing terms like these out of the lexicon is not an example of being PC, nor does it imply that one day common words will become racist due to an over-zealous PC agenda. What it does mean is that we, as a society, are becoming more intolerant to using words that are grounded in bigotry - which is as it should be.

I didn't realize gypsies were a "race".  Are Bedouins as well?

Race:

1. group of people identified as distinct from other groups because of supposed physical or genetic traits shared bythe group. Most biologists and anthropologists do not recognize race as a biologically valid classification, in partbecause there is more genetic variation within groups than between them.
2. group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution
3. genealogical line; a lineage.
4. Humans considered as a group.

So to answer your question... yes they are :)

Race:

1. group of people identified as distinct from other groups because of supposed physical or genetic traits shared bythe group. Most biologists and anthropologists do not recognize race as a biologically valid classification, in partbecause there is more genetic variation within groups than between them.
2. group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution
3. genealogical line; a lineage.
4. Humans considered as a group.

So to answer your question... yes they are :)

Dude. Corrado.

I believe all those to be politically correct terms so you may proceed. Also acceptable: scammed, beguiled, and swindled

Man it's a good thing you're here to assuage the tender nerves of the easily offended and overly sensitive masses that make up present day society.

Who needs freedom of speech when we can have PC police at every corner monitoring every word.

All gypsies are thieves though.

Man it's a good thing you're here to assuage the tender nerves of the easily offended and overly sensitive masses that make up present day society.

Who needs freedom of speech when we can have PC police at every corner monitoring every word.

You're welcome, you know it's not an easy job and sometimes it's thankless but when I see posts like yours it makes it all worthwhile.  When I get home I can grab a beer from the fridge, sit down on my sofa, kick my feet up and pat myself on the back while saying to myself "Aladeen you did good out there."

Archived