The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen and McCann officially make the team

hatedkid666

Only reason? 

Organizational depth? Having quality players and depth in Utica for guys like Shinkaruk, Cassels etc to play with is important for their development too. Learning to win at that level will only help all our prospects. It's part of that ' culture' thing they keep going on about. 

Virtanen is faster and more physical? He has a different skill set than Guance that more lacking in our team. 

How these guys can argue that Jake or JJared don't deserve to be there the day the organization says they are here to stay is mind numbing. Uh, fellas, the smarter guys have spoken.

Only reason? 

Organizational depth? Having quality players and depth in Utica for guys like Shinkaruk, Cassels etc to play with is important for their development too. Learning to win at that level will only help all our prospects. It's part of that ' culture' thing they keep going on about. 

Virtanen is faster and more physical? He has a different skill set than Guance that more lacking in our team. 

Don't get me wrong I love Virtanen, I just don't think he has the puck skills to play in the NHL today. How does he develop offensively when his primary focus is to be physical? He should be working on managing the puck and the  power play while playing 1st line minutes. 

Anyone think the yotes made a mistake by holding back Domi?

We might be hurting his development by not allowing him to focus on creating offence. 

I love Raffi Tores, but we can all agree in hindsight, he was taken a little early, I don't want that to happen to Jake. 

That is absolute moose poop!

Gaunce is doing the right things, he has shown vast improvement. There is absolutely no logical argument that could explain why Virtanen is the better option over Gaunce. 

Benning drafted Virtanen, he didn't draft Gaunce. End of story. That is the only reason. 

I agree with McCann but I'm having a really hard time excepting Virtanen over Gaunce.

Ok we get you're butthurt, but take a step back from the ledge, take a deep breath, and realize its only hockey ok?

And once you've calmed down, you'll realize that the big reason Gaunce is playing the AHL right now is yes indeed Virtanen took the available spot, but this is because Virtanen is not AHL eligible. Had both of them been, Gaunce may have been chosen over Virtanen but at the same time, Virt has brought something we sorely lack on this team, a very punishing hitter. He's faster and has better hands than Gaunce, but Guance has a bit more maturity to his game for obvious reasons (he's had a year of pro hockey already). Regardless, even if both were AHL eligible its not as clearcut as you may be assuming given the both bring different games to the team.

This had nothing to do with 'favoritism' that you seem to be implying, it has to do with roster management, and the best alternatives for development for ALL the players taken into consideration. It's better to have Virt developing here vs junior and Gaunce being able to be called up, than having Gaunce up and Virt in Junior, for all the reasons Benning explained.

Settle down

Ok we get you're butthurt, but take a step back from the ledge, take a deep breath, and realize its only hockey ok?

And once you've calmed down, you'll realize that the big reason Gaunce is playing the AHL right now is yes indeed Virtanen took the available spot, but this is because Virtanen is not AHL eligible. Had both of them been, Gaunce may have been chosen over Virtanen but at the same time, Virt has brought something we sorely lack on this team, a very punishing hitter. He's faster and has better hands than Gaunce, but Guance has a bit more maturity to his game for obvious reasons (he's had a year of pro hockey already).

This had nothing to do with 'favoritism' that you seem to be implying, it has to do with roster management, and the best alternatives for development for ALL the players taken into consideration. It's better to have Virt developing here vs junior and Gaunce being able to be called up, than having Gaunce up and Virt in Junior, for all the reasons Benning explained.

Settle down

The guy is lacking offensively. He didn't exactly tear up the dub last year either. It's a piss poor excuse. He needs to learn a little more than how to throw 6 body checks a night. 

Glad they both made the team as they have definitely played their way onto this team.

McCann definitely looks like the type of player who will progress over the season, but i have questions about how he will adjust next year when more players know his offensive tendencies. It's obvious McCann has a lethal shot but he is being given a lot of time to set up in the slot and isn't covered as closely as someone like Horvat. I would assume that as the season progresses we see McCann getting hit/covered more closely and his production will take a hit. Hopefully he can adjust his game and become one of those rare players who are just hard to cover because they are unpredictable.

Prediction 12-15 goals 25-30 points

Virtanen on the only hand is exactly what this team has been missing over the last couple of seasons, his youthful energy and fearless attitude are a breath of fresh air. Right now Virtanen is raw in the offensive zone but it's nothing that can't be taught, Virtanen needs to learn how to protect the puck and drive the net instead of being a "skilled" player. He isn't going to put up the godly numbers that will have CDC flipping heads over heels but he will definitely make this team less of a permitter team and more of a crash and bash style of team.

10 goals 15 assist 25 points

Through 9 games McCann has had 5 goals. For the next 70 odd games you expect him to get only 7-10 more? That's a bit of a stretch. He's on pace for 40 goals right now. I can understand him tapering off, sure, but if he stays the full season and is healthy I'm pegging him for at least 20-25 goals.

Don't get me wrong I love Virtanen, I just don't think he has the puck skills to play in the NHL today. How does he develop offensively when his primary focus is to be physical? He should be working on managing the puck and the  power play while playing 1st line minutes. 

Anyone think the yotes made a mistake by holding back Domi?

We might be hurting his development by not allowing him to focus on creating offence. 

I love Raffi Tores, but we can all agree in hindsight, he was taken a little early, I don't want that to happen to Jake. 

You've got it backwards..the Canucks are working with Jake on his defence...If you don't know what you're your doing in your own end of the ice in the NHL....you're in trouble...He's going through the same program Bo did last year.

Sending him back to junior isn't going to accomplish much...he can stickhandle and demolish 16 year olds..?

The guy is lacking offensively. He didn't exactly tear up the dub last year either. It's a piss poor excuse. He needs to learn a little more than how to throw 6 body checks a night. 

LOL..ok bro...you take it way too seriously and he's 19 years old.

You really lack hockey knowledge son. Players take time to develop and the fact he's terrorizing men in the NHL with his hits alone at 19 says a great deal. He plays smart defensively and didn't tear it up in the W? Well having a PPG coming off an injury, not playing on a great team, and oh ya he was selected by smarter hockey people than you as one of the best 18 Canadian players in the world for his age...

need a soother? I guess you must have been crying for Ehlers, we get it. I guess Bertuzzi sucked too hey? He took 6 years to find his offensive game...but ya, every player comes into the NHL the first year they can and tear it up.

SMH

You've got it backwards..the Canucks are working with Jake on his defence...If you don't know what you're your doing in your own end of the ice in the NHL....you're in trouble...He's going through the same program Bo did last year.

Sending him back to junior isn't going to accomplish much...he can stickhandle and demolish 16 year olds..?

Same program as Bo? Hahah, Horvat showed WD how to play defence in the NHL, not the other way around. 

Virtanen isn't that bad without the puck anyway. 

LOL..ok bro...you take it way too seriously and he's 19 years old.

You really lack hockey knowledge son. Players take time to develop and the fact he's terrorizing men in the NHL with his hits alone at 19 says a great deal. He plays smart defensively and didn't tear it up in the W? Well having a PPG coming off an injury, not playing on a great team, and oh ya he was selected by smarter hockey people than you as one of the best 18 Canadian players in the world for his age...

need a soother? I guess you must have been crying for Ehlers, we get it. I guess Bertuzzi sucked too hey? He took 6 years to find his offensive game...but ya, every player comes into the NHL the first year they can and tear it up.

SMH

Son? I'm 34 years old, but nice try. 

just because my opinion differs from your's doesn't make it alright for you to personally attack me. Who is the one who needs the soother here? 

I don't think Jake Virtanen is going to develop offensively playing as a 4th line checker.

Is that really a reason to belittle me? 

Son? I'm 34 years old, but nice try. 

just because my opinion differs from your's doesn't make it alright for you to personally attack me. Who is the one who needs the soother here? 

I don't think Jake Virtanen is going to develop offensively playing as a 4th line checker.

Is that really a reason to belittle me? 

you're 34 yrs old and overly concerned about an 19 yr old boy who plays a game for a living - so much so it seems to upset you for some reason.

yes you need a soother

And to add, I am 100% sure Benning and Linden know how to develop Virtanen better than you or anyone here (including myself) will ever know. Else, you'd be running the Canucks.

you're 34 yrs old and overly concerned about an 19 yr old boy who plays a game for a living - so much so it seems to upset you for some reason.

yes you need a soother

Where are you getting all this from? Let me summerise. 

1. I love Jake Virtanen, and couldn't be happier with the pick, I love a heavy fast team and heavy fast players. 

2. Jake Virtanen has a high ceiling. He is extremely fast, and can throw amazing hits, he is also great in his own end thus far. But he needs to work on his hockey IQ. 

3. I think it would be more beneficial for his long term development to go back to Jr and work on his puck skills. Play for team Canada. 

4. At this point I see Gaunce as the better, NHL ready player more suited for a long term bottom 6 role. 

5. I am not mad, I am concerned. 

yes you need a soother

And to add, I am 100% sure Benning and Linden know how to develop Virtanen better than you or anyone here (including myself) will ever know. Else, you'd be running the Canucks.

ahh yes the classic "appeal to authority" fallacy. To be honest I'm surprised this thread went so long without it popping up. 

Archived