The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen and McCann officially make the team

hatedkid666

ahh yes the classic "appeal to authority" fallacy. To be honest I'm surprised this thread went so long without it popping up. 

appeal to authority? lol cdcers know more than benning and linden about hockey hey? from what playing video games?

dude get real, sure we're all entitled to our opinions but if you're suggesting anyone on these boards understands hockey, development, the game better than those 2 well you got some high quality green you're smoking

either that or mom gave you too many trophies for 'participating' and you think you're better at making universes than God too! LOL

Same program as Bo? Hahah, Horvat showed WD how to play defence in the NHL, not the other way around. 

Virtanen isn't that bad without the puck anyway. 

Jake does not have a 'complete' NHL game yet...he's still unsure in his own zone..The Canuck staff are going to "monitor" him and make sure he learns correctly.

He is skilled,...and eventually the goals will come.

appeal to authority? lol cdcers know more than benning and linden about hockey hey? from what playing video games?

dude get real, sure we're all entitled to our opinions but if you're suggesting anyone on these boards understands hockey, development, the game better than those 2 well you got some high quality green you're smoking

either that or mom gave you too many trophies for 'participating' and you think you're better at making universes than God too! LOL

holy crap man, what is your problem? I think it's time to lay off the keyboard duster. 

Jake does not have a 'complete' NHL game yet...he's still unsure in his own zone..The Canuck staff are going to "monitor" him and make sure he learns correctly.

He is skilled,...and eventually the goals will come.

I hope so, hate to waste that talent. 

A bit late to the party, but god this is exciting! Hutton, Marky, McCann and Virtanen make the squad along with Bearcheese. I can't remember the last time we had so much youth jump onto the squad at once. Gaunce is up and pushing really hard too. Man, exciting time to be a Canucks fan!

It's been a fun season to follow, but this just adds a new level of intrigue to it. Here's hoping the boys keep busting their butts and that they have stellar seasons. My expectations are reasonable though, none of em are likely to be offensive dynamos right off the bat. But yeah, stoked! ::D

The fact of the matter is, talent aside, it is definitely in Jakes and Jareds best interest to develop up here along  NHL pro's and against NHL caliber competition. And like JB said the CONTROL we can have up here over their development on ice or off ice is the biggest incentive to ensure proper development.

Playing 10 minutes a night, and in certain situations is not a bad thing. Rather you are aslowly introducing new responsibilities in a controlled manner in which they can learn and make mistakes without losing confidence or if they excel not get too overconfident. If they can both reach a level where they are super effective in their limited ice time, that's clear indication of a their development going in the right direction. 

Also, the greatest sign so far has been that both rookies do what is asked of them and have been improving during their stay so far. And just because they are doing things more simple right now at the NHL level doesn't mean that, that's all they have to offer. Jakes shot and skill isn't going to  vanish. Just because we haven't seen what we've expected to see from him doesn't mean he can no longer do it. In time with the right coaching, developmental direction and motivation, he can make great strides down the road. But part of it is also his responsibility.

Most importantly though Jake has to take charge and go out there and play like a untamamble beast. Be a bully out there and have the confident within himself to say "I can do this" and go out there and do it.

Wouldn't mind this next year

Lucic -Horvat-Virtanen

Sedin-Sedin-Boeser

Shinkaruk-McCann-Burrows

Gaunce-Sutter-Dorsett

Prust,Cracknell

Horvat has done nothing so far to show us he is a 2nd line guy, and first is a huge stretch and again the problem with this team since 2011 has been DEFENCE! Offense comes from the back end we need to improve our defence drastically before ever thinking we are a contender but atleast Hutton is a good start, let's just hope Pedan or Subban turn into gems. I have high hopes in Subban but let's see or we can sign that Russian dude, but again that's a pipe dream. 

Wouldn't mind this next year

Lucic -Horvat-Virtanen

Sedin-Sedin-Boeser

Shinkaruk-McCann-Burrows

Gaunce-Sutter-Dorsett

Prust,Cracknell

I'm not sold on Lucic. He's slow and is going to want money and term. I don't like that idea, but my guess is Benning will do it. Boston connection, he's a Vancouver boy, he's got a cup, etc etc...If Bo can help him with speed training maybe! LOL

I also don't think Virt will be ready for first line duties next year, and perhaps Bo won't be either (at least to be driving the offense and handle the pressure to be 'the' guys offensively), and I think you are short changing the twins a bit with that assumption. Also, I don't think Boeser will come out that soon. He's stated he wants his degree so I figure he'll play 3 years and maybe come out one year early with alot less schooling to do over the summers.

Sedin Sedin Virtanen (Riding shotgun with these two doesn't put pressure on him, he can simply be the hitter, puck retrieval guy and sniper, but the pressure is still on Hank and Dank to 'drive the offense). In this situation, Virt is just support

Shinkaruk Horvat Lucic

Burrows McCann Hansen

Gaunce Sutter Dorsett

Kennins

Cracknell

Maybe Baerschi - although I think he may be getting 'Vey itis'

I assume Vrbata will be moved as will be Prust at the deadline and one of Higgins/Hansen

Patience everyone. 

There will many nights with 8 mins and sitting in the press box. It's what needs to happen. The guys will get there but there will be downs as well as ups. 10 games without a point should mean nothing to what we hope from them in the future.

Yeah....it's a process, like it or not. We can't expect much from them but we can hope we are pleasantly surprised. The payoff, for these two and those still to come, is years away. Bear it in mind this season  

I think another big reason Virtanen's sticking with the team is popularity, but also to give McCann a buddy. Having the two of them go through everything together really builds a sense of teammateship and these two are likely going to be linemates in a few years time in our top-6, so why not start building a sort of chemistry now. As much as I don't like the idea of rushing Virtanen into the NHL while Toronto are grooming Nylander in the AHL perfectly, something has to be said for the way the management are creating this new, young environment.

Without a doubt, Virtanen isn't ready for a full season and is nowhere near as complete or good as Gaunce, Prust, Dorsett or Higgins, but having these young core kids in the lineup growing up together will help us in the long run. It'll hurt us a bit now, but hopefully he can have some chemistry with Horvat and McCann (and ideally Shinkaruk and Gaunce if they get a sniff).

I really just hope this pays off and Virtanen can get sparked and get going offensively because if we break his offence with this move and he ends up a 3rd line grinder, this will be a huge turning point and mistake in his career. Good luck kid, hopefully he scores a goal against Philadelphia and the place goes bonkers.

I think another big reason Virtanen's sticking with the team is popularity, but also to give McCann a buddy. Having the two of them go through everything together really builds a sense of teammateship and these two are likely going to be linemates in a few years time in our top-6, so why not start building a sort of chemistry now. As much as I don't like the idea of rushing Virtanen into the NHL while Toronto are grooming Nylander in the AHL perfectly, something has to be said for the way the management are creating this new, young environment.

Without a doubt, Virtanen isn't ready for a full season and is nowhere near as complete or good as Gaunce, Prust, Dorsett or Higgins, but having these young core kids in the lineup growing up together will help us in the long run. It'll hurt us a bit now, but hopefully he can have some chemistry with Horvat and McCann (and ideally Shinkaruk and Gaunce if they get a sniff).

I really just hope this pays off and Virtanen can get sparked and get going offensively because if we break his offence with this move and he ends up a 3rd line grinder, this will be a huge turning point and mistake in his career. Good luck kid, hopefully he scores a goal against Philadelphia and the place goes bonkers.

good post, I'll agree with this. 

The guy is lacking offensively. He didn't exactly tear up the dub last year either. It's a piss poor excuse. He needs to learn a little more than how to throw 6 body checks a night. 

to which came the following firestorm of insults:

LOL..ok bro...you take it way too seriously and he's 19 years old.

You really lack hockey knowledge son. Players take time to develop and the fact he's terrorizing men in the NHL with his hits alone at 19 says a great deal. He plays smart defensively and didn't tear it up in the W? Well having a PPG coming off an injury, not playing on a great team, and oh ya he was selected by smarter hockey people than you as one of the best 18 Canadian players in the world for his age...

need a soother? I guess you must have been crying for Ehlers, we get it. I guess Bertuzzi sucked too hey? He took 6 years to find his offensive game...but ya, every player comes into the NHL the first year they can and tear it up.

SMH

you're 34 yrs old and overly concerned about an 19 yr old boy who plays a game for a living - so much so it seems to upset you for some reason.

yes you need a soother

And to add, I am 100% sure Benning and Linden know how to develop Virtanen better than you or anyone here (including myself) will ever know. Else, you'd be running the Canucks.

"LOL..ok bro...you take it way too seriously"

"You really lack hockey knowledge son.ac

"need a soother? I guess you must have been crying for Ehlers"

"you're 34 yrs old and overly concerned about an 19 yr old boy who plays a game for a living - so much so it seems to upset you for some reason."

"yes you need a soother"

Are these the best "arguments" you can make?  Does adding insults seem to you to add to your arguments?

btw, to take one of your actualarguments, "

didn't tear it up in the W? Well having a PPG coming off an injury, not playing on a great team,"

-he was 3rd on his team in ppg, not all that close to the leaders

-his goal scoring dropped from 45 in 71 games in his draft year (0.604 gpg) to 21 in 50 games last season (.42 gpg)

-"not playing on a great team" -well, the Hitmen weren't exactly a bad team.  In the regular season they won the 6 team Central Division of the WHL, they were tied for 3rd in the 22 team WHL and scored the 3rd most goals in the WHL.  Any lack of scoring by Virt last season can't be said to be because his team wasn't very good.

I'm not knocking Virt.  I was happy the Canucks drafted him.  I think the question of how best to develnop him was tougher than some people think, though, that the team really did decide based on the factor Benning mentioned (controlling his environment and development, mentioned about "them" for Virt and McCann) and that insults, claims about lack of hockey knowledge by others and nonsensical comments about not ... a great team" add nothing to the discussion.

I love the news, nothing like a group of kids to add some excitement about the season. I gotta wonder though right now they have 1 guy on the bench at all times, when Higgins and Prust returns. I mean somethings gotta give. Having 3 forwards in the press box and an emerging Gaunce, someone's gotta be on their way out.

Welcome to the team boys!  Nice to have a pair of 19 year olds adding some youth to the team! Hope they can benefit by learning from the vets as well as being able to develop their own talents.  Let's not get too high of an expectation for them yet as they are still young but be patient as they develop into star players!

Archived