The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen and McCann officially make the team

hatedkid666

If they play another game they can't be sent back to junior.

And I think the issue here is pretty simple. Both players are too good to be in junior at this stage, but because of the rules, that's the only place they can go.

If they were able to go to the AHL Benning's decisions may have been different.

They can be sent back to junior at any time. They just burn a year of their ELC if they play over 9 games. If they play 40 games they move a year closer to UFA.

They can be sent back to junior at any time. They just burn a year of their ELC if they play over 9 games. If they play 40 games they move a year closer to UFA.

Yes, I didn't explain it well enough, but for all intents and purposes, the Nucks won't burn a year of their ELC if either are a player that really appears to be that close to going back to junior, that was the assumption in my post...but your point is correct. Should have said 'won't be sent back' not 'can't'

Yes, I didn't explain it well enough, but for all intents and purposes, the Nucks won't burn a year of their ELC if either are a player that really appears to be that close to going back to junior, that was the assumption in my post...but your point is correct.

Hmm. I got a different impression from Benning's interview. He said that they have always evaluated them day by day and that they will continue to do so. I don't think Benning cares to much about the 40 game threshold (it is too far away). 

But yes I agree it is very unlikely they go back to junior. Injuries have and will continue to happen to other players making their presence needed. However, I could see them loaning one or both to the WJC if we are healthy and their progress has stalled. 

Do you have have any positivity in your life???

Read my prior post.

Do you have have any positivity in your life???

I can answer that NOPE NON

People dumping on Baumerman77  for nothing. If you're going to Bi*ch about him should make sure it's for something and not out of habit. He literally just provided information to the guy.

People dumping on Baumerman77  for nothing. If you're going to Bi*ch about him should make sure it's for something and not out of habit. He literally just provided information to the guy.

Nahh that make to much sense, this is CDC after all

I must be the only guy that thinks Gaunce should be on the team in favour of Virtanen.

Sucks to be a draft pick from that other GM I guess. 

Gaunce is a big part of Utica, so it makes sense. We kept McCann and Virtanen so they can develop chemistry along with Hutton and Horvat, without splitting them and sending them to Junior. 

I must be the only guy that thinks Gaunce should be on the team in favour of Virtanen.

Sucks to be a draft pick from that other GM I guess. 

Development.  GMJB said in presser that he wanted control of Jake & Jared's development, workouts, eating habits etc etc and wouldn't have that in Junior.

Gaunce, OTOH, can at any time be re-assigned to Utica (no waivers required) where TG can monitor/control his development.

Glad they both made the team as they have definitely played their way onto this team.

McCann definitely looks like the type of player who will progress over the season, but i have questions about how he will adjust next year when more players know his offensive tendencies. It's obvious McCann has a lethal shot but he is being given a lot of time to set up in the slot and isn't covered as closely as someone like Horvat. I would assume that as the season progresses we see McCann getting hit/covered more closely and his production will take a hit. Hopefully he can adjust his game and become one of those rare players who are just hard to cover because they are unpredictable.

Prediction 12-15 goals 25-30 points

Virtanen on the only hand is exactly what this team has been missing over the last couple of seasons, his youthful energy and fearless attitude are a breath of fresh air. Right now Virtanen is raw in the offensive zone but it's nothing that can't be taught, Virtanen needs to learn how to protect the puck and drive the net instead of being a "skilled" player. He isn't going to put up the godly numbers that will have CDC flipping heads over heels but he will definitely make this team less of a permitter team and more of a crash and bash style of team.

10 goals 15 assist 25 points

Development.  GMJB said in presser that he wanted control of Jake & Jared's development, workouts, eating habits etc etc and wouldn't have that in Junior.

Gaunce, OTOH, can at any time be re-assigned to Utica (no waivers required) where TG can monitor/control his development.

It kind of opens up a can of worms tho. So much for internal competition. If Gaunce is more developed than either of the kids and is kept in the minors what kind of message does it send to him.

This is a common misconception on CDC. It's not PLAY 40 games, its being on the roster for 40 games.

ex. Canucks have played 11 games so far but McCann has played 9. But McCann has been on the roster for 11 games. Its how many games the team plays with player being on the roster, not how many games the player actually plays.

Archived