The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

ooo boy the new one from The National is gooooooood

great to see them take a few more chances, or at least be a bit more adventuruous at this stage. a couple of the songs sorta just floated by, but i've only listened once. maybe i missed something.

some cool guitar work throughout, and some kinda very UN-National-y electronic tinkering too. the final song (title track) sounds like The National meets Thom Yorke. it's fantastic

Over the past few years, I rarely buy new albums. Only new releases I do get are from the staples (ie: Beck, LCD, Vampire, etc). Otherwise, just stick to the classics.

That said, I decided to purchase the new War on Drugs. Never listened to previous releases, so this was purely on the praise I've read on here.

Love it. Can't come confirm whether it's similar to Springsteen, as I can honestly say that, aside from Born in the USA, I've never listened to Bruce Springsteen.

I also loved my first listen if the new National. I was busy, and not listening super closely, but there were a few cases where a portion of a song made me stop in my tracks and just listen. Looking forward to diving in more.

Not quite as excited about the new LCD, but that's probably because there isn't a specific song that I immediately loved. Generally LCD albums have at least 2 catchy songs that hook me right away (Can Change & Drink Girls; Time to Get Away & North American Scum; Daft Punk... & Disco Infiltrator), whereas the rest slowly grows on me. This one is a bit tougher to get into.

New Grizzly Bear didn't do much for me. But maybe there is just so much superior music being released that I don't have time for it right now. Then again, Shields didn't hold my interest long either.

War On Drugs has been on near constant rotation, and I can't get enough of it. Quite possibly my favourite album since Lonerism.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I also loved my first listen if the new National. I was busy, and not listening super closely, but there were a few cases where a portion of a song made me stop in my tracks and just listen. Looking forward to diving in more.

Not quite as excited about the new LCD, but that's probably because there isn't a specific song that I immediately loved. Generally LCD albums have at least 2 catchy songs that hook me right away (Can Change & Drink Girls; Time to Get Away & North American Scum; Daft Punk... & Disco Infiltrator), whereas the rest slowly grows on me. This one is a bit tougher to get into.

New Grizzly Bear didn't do much for me. But maybe there is just so much superior music being released that I don't have time for it right now. Then again, Shields didn't hold my interest long either.

War On Drugs has been on near constant rotation, and I can't get enough of it. Quite possibly my favourite album since Lonerism.

I played LCD through one time.  Admittedly I was not alone and I was having a conversation with a friend so I wasn't very focused.  So far nothing grabs me and for now it is simply decent music to have playing while hanging out with a buddy.<_<

speaking of lonerism.  That is an album that I may have to revisit as again I was meh first few times contrary to almost everyone on the planet.  Reason being is I have been listening to the inner speaker album and absolutely loving how I become immersed in it.

2017 has just been amazing so far. LCD Soundsystem is growing on me. The National released yet another stellar album. War On Drugs and Broken Social Scene knocked it out of the park... And to top it off, the new Iron & Wine album, Beast Epic, is actually decent!

IronandWine_BeastEpic_Cover_5x5_300-1024

This is a band I used to love. Our Endless Numbered Days is one of my favourite albums, and most of what immediately followed it was great too. But after the last couple albums, I had all but written them off. The new one isn't quite as good as their earlier stuff (still too polished), but it's a huge step back in the right direction.

glad to see Ariel Pink's latest is getting good reviews despite him being put through the "SJW" wringer a few years ago. isn't doing anything new, but it's still brilliant imo. 

listened to new Alvvays a bunch, don't love it like i love their debut, but it's still good.

eagerly waiting new Protomartyr and John Maus. already a bit sick of LCD after only a couple of listens tbh.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Must have missed this. What happened?

He basically just said that Madonna sucks now? and Grimes and a few other large-eyebrowed contemporary feminist types interpreted it as being misogynistic ageism or something. He then said "Grimes is just mad because I'm the male version of her" which just made her more mad. On top of this, he released an EP called Ku Klux Glam (lol?) and yeah. Critics just sided with Grimes.

Edit: this all started because Pink said Madonna's team tried to get him to write music for her, but he denied. This was also around the time Pom Pom came out, so a lot of reviews were sorta tinged with this stuff. 

14 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

He basically just said that Madonna sucks now? and Grimes and a few other large-eyebrowed contemporary feminist types interpreted it as being misogynistic ageism or something. He then said "Grimes is just mad because I'm the male version of her" which just made her more mad. On top of this, he released an EP called Ku Klux Glam (lol?) and yeah. Critics just sided with Grimes.

Edit: this all started because Pink said Madonna's team tried to get him to write music for her, but he denied. This was also around the time Pom Pom came out, so a lot of reviews were sorta tinged with this stuff. 

Sure took his time in making that statement.....

• 2 weeks later...

Had/Having a discussion on @Hereticprofile about music.  How many of you are unaware of how close the music industry along with some bands came to killing MP3's?  They tried using piracy as an excuse.  They rightfully won the piracy suits against Napster and Kazaa, but fortunately lost the suit to make MP3 players illegal.  If it were up to the labels and the RIAA, we'd all still be buying $15-$20 CD's for one or two good songs.

http://forum.canucks.com/profile/37831-heretic/?status=182894&type=status

Protomartyr always takes a while to sink in for me (one of the things i like about them). new one hasn't exactly settled in yet, but i do like it a fair bit so far

Omni's new one, Multi-Task, is a colossal disappointment for me. i'm pretty sure i had their debut in my top 10 last year or the year before, but this sounds like the exact same album--just way less ear wormy  

couldn't really get into the new Rostam solo album either, unfortunately  

more negativity: the new album from The Horrors is not good at all. not even sure why I still bother with this band, don't think they've done anything I've enjoyed since Primary Colors 

enjoyed but didn't love the new one from Chad VanGaalen

new Wolf Parade is just okay. 

all of this is totally subject to change since i've been too busy to listen more than once or twice. but holy hell this year continues to be disappointing for me. a few albums i really, really, really love. but if i were to create a top 10 now, i'd struggle after the first 5

*edit: actually maybe i've enjoyed more than i realize. just disappointed by some i had high hopes for

Archived